Portaloo waste tanks disposal service

I have done some searching on the net and can not find anything

Im looking for some kind of UK list that lists all the places you can empty your sewer tanks?

Thanks

Normally on every caravan site!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

Posted (edited)

I mean where one dose not have to park for the night. I mean where you can just turn up and pay a small fee (smaller then overnight parking)

Also is it legal to find a road side/ pavement sewer, take the inspection cover off and pour it down that?

Edited by batista230

You cannot empty waste in a sewer - definitely a No-No.

Only at appointed places and these are generally caravan or camping sites. 

It has to be as you can't wild camp. In England. 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

7 hours ago, batista230 said:

I have down some searching on the net and can not find anything

Im looking for some kind of UK list that lists all the places you can empty your sewer tanks?

Thanks

I have found a lot of caravan sites will allow you to empty your black waste for a small fee. Unlike parts of Europe we do not accommodate this very well but there is talk of the Aires type services arriving in parts of Scotland time will tell! Scotland list here as well as helpful informative information on the topic.

This may also help:

https://www.ukmotorhomes.net/uk-stopovers/uk-stopover-listings#England

Cheers, Martin

18 hours ago, Silversurf said:

Is the waste you want to empty from the catering van ?

No its black and grey water from a septic tank that customers will use. Just trying to find a company that deals with this kind of thing thats all. I did an internet search for waste disposal companies in my area and emailed about 6 of them; but non of them replied!

1 hour ago, batista230 said:

No its black and grey water from a septic tank that customers will use

A septic tank is underground, is yours ? there are many companies who empty them when they are due for emptying  which is usually every 1-2 years depending on the size of the tank and the size of the household using it, the cost up here in the sticks is around £200 +

There are thousands of houses where there are no main sewers nearby, camp sites, etc. all over the UK who have them emptied without any problems, just Google .......... emptying septic tank services in.....then enter your location and I'll bet you will come up with a dozen or so in the area.

23 hours ago, Silversurf said:

A septic tank is underground, is yours ?

No Sorry I must have goton the name of it wrong! it will be undernight a trailered porterloo

23 hours ago, Silversurf said:

, just Google .......... emptying septic tank services in.....then enter your location and I'll bet you will come up with a dozen or so in the area.

I tried this, but not a lot of companies have come up

https://www.yell.com/s/septic+tank+emptying-manchester.html

Are they the right kind of companies I need those? would they come out and empty your tank for you?

Some portaloo hire companies also offer an emptying service for portaloos they haven't hired out.

Try Googling 'portaloo emptying services'

yer went round all that. But the end goal woul be to have my own that I dont pay for the hire of

24 minutes ago, batista230 said:

yer went round all that. But the end goal woul be to have my own that I dont pay for the hire of

I don't think you understood my post.

Some portaloo hire companies offer an emptying service even if you haven't hired from them e.g. they will empty one you own, for a fee.

On 18/05/2021 at 20:12, batista230 said:

No Sorry I must have goton the name of it wrong! it will be undernight a trailered porterloo

I tried this, but not a lot of companies have come up

https://www.yell.com/s/septic+tank+emptying-manchester.html

Are they the right kind of companies I need those? would they come out and empty your tank for you?

Well there about 10 there to go at, they all say they empty septic tanks, but you don't have a septic tank, you have a Portaloo, will they empty one, I have no idea, but if you phone them all you will get your answer.

It will have to be emptied at least once a week  I would think.

Have you made any enquiries as to needing to comply with such as health and safety or local council rules  rules for hygiene or permission to site one or how frequent is has to be emptied especially as the general public will be using it? 

As Legal Eagle suggested, have you tried local Portaloo companies, I've just Googled ' Portaloo emptying service ' and there are lots of them.

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Legal Eagle said:

I don't think you understood my post.

Some portaloo hire companies offer an emptying service even if you haven't hired from them e.g. they will empty one you own, for a fee.

That probably a better idea then before

19 hours ago, Silversurf said:

Well there about 10 there to go at, they all say they empty septic tanks, but you don't have a septic tank, you have a Portaloo, will they empty one, I have no idea, but if you phone them all you will get your answer.

A lot of them dont seam to be trading anymore. I dont rate much to yell.com. It was better when you got a full 2" thick book though the post

19 hours ago, Silversurf said:

It will have to be emptied at least once a week  I would think.

Have you made any enquiries as to needing to comply with such as health and safety or local council rules  rules for hygiene or permission to site one or how frequent is has to be emptied especially as the general public will be using it? 

There is nothing on the application form that states this what so ever! But porterloo hire companies offer a regular once a week collection so I would go with that

Did I mention the idea before about opening up a foul drain manhole cover and pouring it down the sewer. has anyone tried this with there camper van. Can not see any reason why it is illegal since its a public sewer. But legal ease might pass comment hear

Edited by batista230
tiddy up

34 minutes ago, batista230 said:

Did I mention the idea before about opening up a foul drain manhole cover and pouring it down the sewer. has anyone tried this with there camper van. Can not see any reason why it is illegal since its a public sewer

You'll need the written consent of the authority that owns the sewer system, probably a local water authority, who will be entitled to levy a charge for your use of the sewer system as all users (homes and businesses) are charged.

Might be worth a quick chat with the Environmental Health Dept at you local council. They may well be a source of valuable advice and information.

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

30 minutes ago, Legal Eagle said:

You'll need the written consent of the authority that owns the sewer system, probably a local water authority, who will be entitled to levy a charge for your use of the sewer system as all users (homes and businesses) are charged.

Isn’t there a controlled waste ‘duty of care’ here too, legally? And possibly local authority licences  to site a portaloo? (assuming this is a business as customers were mentioned and not on private land)? I misunderstood initially but have caught up now 🥴

Cheers, Martin

1 hour ago, Mr Plodd said:

Might be worth a quick chat with the Environmental Health Dept at you local council. They may well be a source of valuable advice and information.

I emailed them 2 days ago but not had a responce yet

54 minutes ago, MartinJB said:

Isn’t there a controlled waste ‘duty of care’ here too, legally? And possibly local authority licences  to site a portaloo? (assuming this is a business as customers were mentioned and not on private land)? I misunderstood initially but have caught up now 🥴

Sorry forgot to say that on the application for a street traders permit that do ask for duty of care waste disposal

1 hour ago, Legal Eagle said:

That would make sence, but talking a big company like that. It would be very difficult as i dont see them dealing with this enquiry very often

4 minutes ago, batista230 said:

Sorry forgot to say that on the application for a street traders permit that do ask for duty of care waste disposal

No worries, this is why you need to use a licensed waste company or centre (eg treatment plant) and they may even provide the annual duty of care paperwork. It all costs money of course - waste is expensive business. 

Cheers, Martin

2 minutes ago, MartinJB said:

No worries, this is why you need to use a licensed waste company or centre (eg treatment plant) and they may even provide the annual duty of care paperwork. It all costs money of course - waste is expensive business. 

You think it will be less then business rates of a commercial premises

I would presume business rates and not water rates since all business are on a meter and not a standing charge

Just now, batista230 said:

You think it will be less then business rates of a commercial premises

I would presume business rates and not water rates since all business are on a meter and not a standing charge

Very different things it’s the waste water (inc sewerage) part of business water bills not business rates.

The annual duty of care part isn’t that expensive but the waste collections may be. As has already been said get quotes from those who will service it for you or speak to your local water authority about if they allow you to tip your own waste (I suspect they only allow licensed waste contractors as part of their own duty of care).

Example  here

https://www.andyloos.co.uk/portable-toilet-emptying/

Same applies for rubbish you produce, how you dealing on that front out of interest? 

Cheers, Martin

14 minutes ago, MartinJB said:

Same applies for rubbish you produce, how you dealing on that front out of interest? 

I got someone to quote me for that thanks! but it was a collection service and quite expencive. If they was some way I could deliver it to a landfill site and pay a small fee I would do

16 minutes ago, MartinJB said:

Very different things it’s the waste water (inc sewerage) part of business water bills not business rates.

So for that to work then it would be included in the standing charge

Just now, batista230 said:

I got someone to quote me for that thanks! but it was a collection service and quite expencive. If they was some way I could deliver it to a landfill site and pay a small fee I would do

You mean a recycling centre 😇 - some will accept trade waste, contact your local authority.

Cheers, Martin

• Martin changed the title to Portaloo waste tanks disposal service
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, MartinJB said:

You mean a recycling centre 😇 - some will accept trade waste, contact your local authority.

No; I looked up recycling centre on the net and they tend to be listed as bottle banks ,paper, cans etc. Not where you would dispose of food waste

Edited by batista230

1 minute ago, batista230 said:

No; I looked up recycling centre on the net and they tend to be listed as bottle banks paper cans etc. No where you would dispose of food waste

I’d still speak to your local authority many offer trade waste services and there is no VAT which benefits some smaller business. Again there is a annual duty of care too! As I say expensive  game is rubbish. 

Cheers, Martin