Blinds, open or closed when travelling.?

GarryH

Hi all.

I've noticed when on the road that theres about a 50/50 of caravans with blinds open or closed when travelling.

Is best to travel with them open or closed, or is it just personal choice?

Cheers.

Garry.

If I remember, I close the side curtains .. I think darkening the interior helps the see-through

Who cares if the blinds are open/closed or even non existent??

Far more important things in life to get concerned about.

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

An oft-asked question with no right or wrong but guaranteed to descend into several pages of opinionated arguments!

-It isn’t illegal to travel with them down.

-If travelling with them down and one unclips itself it can cause damage to it as it rapidly unwinds.

-Keeping blinds down/curtains closed at service stations keeps out prying eyes.

-Do whatever suits you best!

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

26 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

:Plus1: 👍😉

Only time I close the blinds on our caravan is at night when using it. However, an exception is when using it and the sun is shining, then closing them on the sunny side helps to keep it a bit cooler.

54 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

You may not care but the OP asked a question. If you have nothing constructive to add, then move on to another thread and leave other members to answer and help this member. 

It is what a forum is about. 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

That is a good question, and I guess everyone has their reasons for whatever they chose.

We always have them open when travelling, it means if we stop off for a break I don’t fall over everything that is on the floor, as our caravan is virtually pitch black with the all blinds closed.

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

Our window blinds are pulled up to around 30mm short of closed before travelling home and there they remain until we arrive on site the next time out.  The non spring loaded roof light blind is closed and spring loaded large roof light blinds tend to open themselves half way during travel so half blind/half fly screen until we get home and then closed.

To answer the OP - it really is a matter of choice - there’s no right or wrong … and as your own research has shown, exactly half of caravanners have decided to have them open, and the other half have them closed 🙂.

Ref some of the replies - it can be confusing if someone says, for instance,  ‘raise the blind’ … in some vans that means closed, but in others it will be open!

I always travel with the blinds open as surely all the motion could unclip them and cause damage and as for stopping people from looking in, what are they going to see, I wonder:D

I have only pulled our caravan once - home from the dealer. However as an avid manual-reader I note that Bailey state they should be open.

B910419D-9501-4EFD-AFF9-ED7E696328BF.jpeg

I leave all our blinds open when travelling as the window side of them is silvered and I find that it it reflects in my real view mirror.

Thank you for the replies. 

Garry.

The only advantage to having blinds closed or part closed when travelling, is to stop people having a nose inside your van. 
It is personal choice, but do heed any advice in vans handbook. 

Closing the cheap ones (like I have) during travel shifts the weight down towards the chassis, thus improving towing stability. Fly screens as well.

It's blindingly obvious.

12 hours ago, GarryH said:

Is best to travel with them open or closed, or is it just personal choice?

Hi Garry,

As far as I am aware there are no rules about this BUT we have always travelled with the curtains and blinds fully open. Not all of our caravan layouts allowed for the towcar driver to have vision through our caravan, nevertheless, leaving all curtains and blinds open, other road users may benefit from being able to see through the side windows and be aware of vehicles, pedestrians etc.,  otherwise obscured.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

16 minutes ago, swirly182 said:

It's blindingly obvious.

Haha, love it.

Thanks.

1 minute ago, Gordon said:

Hi Garry,

As far as I am aware there are no rules about this BUT we have always travelled with the curtains and blinds fully open. Not all of our caravan layouts allowed for the towcar driver to have vision through our caravan, nevertheless, leaving all curtains and blinds open, other road users may benefit from being able to see through the side windows and be aware of vehicles, pedestrians etc.,  otherwise obscured.

Gordon.

Thank you Gordon.

I was sure I'd read somewhere not to travel with the blinds closed as it put strain on the rollers/springs/mechanism etc. 

Thanks.

Garry.

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

So true. 

We leave ours open ,they get closed at night when we go to bed.

We don't  use a front cover either!

Edited by 664DaveS

If your blinds are roller type (as opposed to concertina) it is advised to only close them when necessary and not when travelling or in storage so as not to over stress the rewind mechanism. We keep our curtains closed when van not in use to prevent sun fading upholstery (curtains are easier/cheaper to replace).

Life is not a rehearsal . . .:)

Porsche Cayenne S Diesel & Knaus StarClass 695. Previously Audi S4 Avant & Elddis Super Sirocco

39 minutes ago, KnausCol said:

If your blinds are roller type (as opposed to concertina) it is advised to only close them when necessary and not when travelling or in storage so as not to over stress the rewind mechanism. We keep our curtains closed when van not in use to prevent sun fading upholstery (curtains are easier/cheaper to replace).

Thank you, that is what I thought.

Cheers.

Garry

Frankly it should not make any difference, the blinds are probably simply how they were when the caravan was hitched.  The one problem I did have on one caravan was there was a mirror on the face of the toilet compartment which I could see in my rear view mirror and was quite disconcerting. Shutting the middle blind helped there.

I was led to believe if you have the sprung type leave them open....if you have the concerntina type it really is a matter of choice.

For what its worth we usually leave them open in the hope if its sunny on the journey the interior will warm up :-)

Leave ours open about 3in just to give a little light inside but not enough for any one to look in this is on a swift that the blind works from the bottom up