Jump to content

Recommended Posts

At my annual service (by a mobile technician) an issue was flagged with the rear LED offside indicator which wasn’t working although the brake, tails, reversing, fog lights were (part of a separate post previously).

As a result I ordered a replacement light cluster which I fitted yesterday. Fairly easy, even for me as it’s three screws and unplug then the same in reverse to install.

The good news is, when I connected to the car, it worked.

However, it intermittently started flashing in an erratic pattern then returning to normal then erratic again.

This actually happened last season with the original light but we put it down as a one-off.

Any ideas what would cause this behaviour (car coding, caravan electrics......)?

Link to post
Share on other sites

You need a Sargent VLM unit see here


The problem is caused by your vehicle performing a bulb check which, with regular trailer bulbs, would be undetected however LED responds much quicker and you see the flickering you describe. 

I’d be surprised if you also don’t get a trailer bulb message on your dash or the car does not detect the trailer at all?

Cheers, Martin

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Martin for the info and for the link.

My car is only just over a year old and the towbar was fitted by a specialist shortly after delivery. You’d think that the coding would bang up to date to cope with such things but obviously isn’t.

It also probably means that I may have bought a replacement tail light unnecessarily on the basis that the indicator wasn’t working at all in some cases.

Will look into the kit in the link then need to arrange for someone to fit it for me.

Help appreciated thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, BM Bairn said:

Thanks Martin for the info and for the link.

My car is only just over a year old and the towbar was fitted by a specialist shortly after delivery. You’d think that the coding would bang up to date to cope with such things but obviously isn’t.

It also probably means that I may have bought a replacement tail light unnecessarily on the basis that the indicator wasn’t working at all in some cases.

Will look into the kit in the link then need to arrange for someone to fit it for me.

Help appreciated thanks.

Quite easy to fit (a bit fiddly perhaps). It does sound like you needed a replacement - this issue should not have stopped them working it just creates 2 issues which are usually:

1 - Erratic flashing (a light show!)

2 - Car cannot detect the trailer and won't therefore offer trailer bulb warnings (or trailer programs on some cars, eg disabling rear park sensors and other trailer modes).

 

Cheers, Martin

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have my mobile service guy coming back soon for the leaking tap, so maybe he can have a look.

Wondering if many others on here have had this issue. The fact a specific box of tricks is made for this suggests it’s not uncommon.

:Thankyou:

Link to post
Share on other sites

It is very common with Swift caravans since the introduction of led lights. Initially Sargent produced a range of VLM's for different cars as they acted differently. Many cars have no problems with the lights and do not need a VLM. Sargent seem to have now produced the VLM6 as a catch-all for any car type. It is fan cooled.

When I bought my latest van I had a Kuga which initially seemed to be OK with the lights and dealer test board. However when I collected it we had issues as you do. Dealer fitted resistors into the circuits rather than a VLM which I checked with Sargents who agreed to the adaptation.

 

Frank

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you Frank. Good to know I’m not the only one who’s affected. I just need to order the correct version now.

Out of interest, did you have many trips whilst the fault existed apart from collection day? We have a holiday soon and not convinced this’ll get fixed before then.

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, BM Bairn said:

Thank you Frank. Good to know I’m not the only one who’s affected. I just need to order the correct version now.

Out of interest, did you have many trips whilst the fault existed apart from collection day? We have a holiday soon and not convinced this’ll get fixed before then.

We had it fixed on the day of collection by the dealer. (We spent an hour or two in the car park with the van attached while the workshop foreman did the wiring). If you contact Sargent they will tell you how quickly they can get a VLM to you.

 

Frank

Link to post
Share on other sites

I fitted a Sargent VLM4 A3 to my Discovery due to the trailer indicator repeater symbol not showing on my dash when I indicated.

 

Connection wise easy to fit, plug and play.

 

Due to cable lengths it needed to fit directly behind my lighting fuse panel, that was the hard part, bit of a swine as it really needs screwing to the bulkhead behind it, not much space at all.

 

20210215_120308.thumb.jpg.5db073fd6ed45b8139ade97ef0828696.jpg

20210212_120901.thumb.jpg.a626d6d3b7cd89c5795cab82702b6869.jpg

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front - Discovery 4. Wheels at the back - Bessacarr 845.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, pfr said:

We had it fixed on the day of collection by the dealer. (We spent an hour or two in the car park with the van attached while the workshop foreman did the wiring). If you contact Sargent they will tell you how quickly they can get a VLM to you.

 

Frank


They were quoting 3 weeks for delivery currently on the website but I’m probably better calling them especially to make sure I get the correct one.

 

13 hours ago, Griff said:

I fitted a Sargent VLM4 A3 to my Discovery due to the trailer indicator repeater symbol not showing on my dash when I indicated.

 

Connection wise easy to fit, plug and play.

 

Due to cable lengths it needed to fit directly behind my lighting fuse panel, that was the hard part, bit of a swine as it really needs screwing to the bulkhead behind it, not much space at all.

 

20210215_120308.thumb.jpg.5db073fd6ed45b8139ade97ef0828696.jpg

20210212_120901.thumb.jpg.a626d6d3b7cd89c5795cab82702b6869.jpg


That just looks like a mass of wires to me Griff haha!

So is there no splicing of cables etc required, purely plugging in using the connectors in the pictures?

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, BM Bairn said:

.......So is there no splicing of cables etc required, purely plugging in using the connectors in the pictures?

 

Splicing no, just plugging yes.

 

Remove some connectors from the fuse board and stick them into the vacant VLM sockets and stick the cables from the VLM into the then vacant sockets in the fuse board.

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front - Discovery 4. Wheels at the back - Bessacarr 845.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/05/2021 at 21:58, Griff said:

 

Splicing no, just plugging yes.

 

Remove some connectors from the fuse board and stick them into the vacant VLM sockets and stick the cables from the VLM into the then vacant sockets in the fuse board.

Good to know, thanks Griff.

I’m going to call Sargent this week to make sure I order the correct variant of the box of tricks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

I have a 2018 Sprite Major and after changing my car to a Ssangyong Korando I found that the indicators were fine, however both fog lights flashed at the same time. A temporary fix was to cover the fog lights with red tape. 
I contacted Sargent who suggested a VLM4 A3, however these weren’t in stock. I ordered a VLM6 (£92).

This took 10 minutes to fit, just unplug the old fuse board and plug the new VLM in.

On testing everything was good.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...