Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Are there any suitable laybys for a car and caravan on the A47 between Peterborough and Kings Lynn please? The service areas seem non-existent on our route from Coventry to Fakenham. Peterborough Services don't appear to cater for caravans.

Edited by Sky Blue
Link to post
Share on other sites

If there are any suitable lay-bys along that road there is no guarantee that it/they won’t be occupied by an artic or two though ;)

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Peterborough services used to direct caravans to the hgv area. Need to be able to reverse in to the bay off course.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would go A14 to Huntingdon, then Chatteris, March, and Wisbech. All easy driving, not too busy, and plenty of places to stop. Alternatively from Huntingdon go St Ives, across to Ely and up the A10.

 

I speak as a regular traveller from Harrogate to Norfolk (Sandringham at least once a year) and a former resident of Cambridge albeit a long time ago but we still often visit from Sandringham.

Link to post
Share on other sites

There used to be 2 caravan spaces in the hgv park by the fuel station, on your left as you enter the park. The next best is the lay-bys on the dual carriageway after eye just past the quarry and ready mix place. 

Ps. There is a lay-by at eye but is usually full as it has a tea bar in it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you looking to stop over night or just for a break?

 

Peterborough services do cater for caravans follow for cars and coaches, You drive between cars bays at far end, Coach bays are in front of the hotel .

I would not consider stopping in the laybys for very long as Peterborough through to Kings Lynn is a wash with Travellers.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally I would think that the services was a worse risk then the lay-by 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Worse risk of what??

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Sky Blue said:

Are there any suitable laybys for a car and caravan on the A47 between Peterborough and Kings Lynn please? The service areas seem non-existent on our route from Coventry to Fakenham. Peterborough Services don't appear to cater for caravans.

To my certain knowledge there are at least 12 lay-bys spaced out  every few miles between Peterborough and Kings Lynn capable of stopping with a caravan....some more cramped than others. Most are rarely used by lorries during the day.  The larger ones are on the dual carriageway sections. 
 

There are also several large ones on the A148 Kings Lynn to Fakenham if you want to delay your stop a little longer.

Edited by ericfield
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Worse risk of what??

Haha 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, ericfield said:

 

There are also several large ones on the A148 Kings Lynn to Fakenham if you want to delay your stop a little longer.

That would be my preference TBH. Had a leisurely lunch in one of them on our last visit as we were too early for access to our CL.

Edited by MalH
Link to post
Share on other sites

Wouldn't think there'd be a problem unless set on a particular lay by at a busy holiday time. Start looking early and keep going until a suitable spot appears. When you get to Kings Lynn, the holiday traffic splits up with some carrying on the A47 and the rest heading for North Norfolk, splitting again, with some heading up to Hunstanton etc. and the rest on the A148, so the lay bys along there shouldn't be a problem. 

Worth looking on Google Earth to weigh a few options up. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

All the lay-bys that you’re going to pass you would have to be very unlucky to find them all full, it’s not like you’re on a taco or anything.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, german in the blood said:

Are you looking to stop over night or just for a break?

 

Peterborough services do cater for caravans follow for cars and coaches, You drive between cars bays at far end, Coach bays are in front of the hotel .

I would not consider stopping in the laybys for very long as Peterborough through to Kings Lynn is a wash with Travellers.

Just for a short break.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would have thought that Google Earth, satellite view, would give you a good impression of where laybys are and give you the opportunity to make a plan. As always have a plan B!!!

 

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

 

Caravan Travels

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)


If anyone is travelling to North Norfolk destinations in a motorhome, and want a place to stop on the outskirts of Kings Lynn, you could consider either of these spots. Constructed as road entrances for future industrial sites (been there several years!) they are rarely used and large.  (Caravans would need to reverse in, which is not ideal, hence suggesting motorhome)

 

Just off the A149 after Sainsbury’s and Hardwick roundabout.

 

 

84E10799-94C4-45FB-91DC-6F634D12D3BB.jpeg

Edited by ericfield
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, ericfield said:


If anyone is travelling to North Norfolk destinations in a motorhome, and want a place to stop on the outskirts of Kings Lynn, you could consider either of these spots. Constructed as road entrances for future industrial sites (been there several years!) they are rarely used and large.  (Caravans would need to reverse in, which is not ideal, hence suggesting motorhome)

 

Just off the A149 after Sainsbury’s and Hardwick roundabout.

 

 

84E10799-94C4-45FB-91DC-6F634D12D3BB.jpeg

If going to the effort of turning off there, might as well go to Sainsbury’s. No height restrictions, a toilet, a cafe in normal times and a big car park.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Odd days said:

If going to the effort of turning off there, might as well go to Sainsbury’s. No height restrictions, a toilet, a cafe in normal times and a big car park.

Agree Odd days. The car park is a much better option. Some of the parking Ericfield is talking about are often taken by lorries and the rubbish is another sight that's not pleasant. The roundabout there is often clogged up at busy times. 

There are numerous lay bys suitable for caravans along the A47. It might be just a case of traveling along and find one that is not taken by lorries. 

Good traveling. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...