Brittany Ferries Portugal?

I would be interested as well

I hate to think of the cost of that. Just like everything else tests & whatever. It is being openly suggested on the news now that UK government are doing this deliberately. Letting us go abroad on holiday & then making it so difficult & expensive nobody can afford to go. 

Posted (edited)

Taken from Brittany Ferries Facebook Page.

Brittany Ferries has confirmed to Shippax that it might operate a Plymouth-Leixões summer-only service, something first revealed by local media. If it happens, the new passenger-focused service is due to start in late May for an initial period of six weeks.

Depending on the success, Brittany Ferries doesn't exclude the new service to be extended beyond the six weeks. The idea to start this new service is entirely because Portugal is one of the few countries on the 'green' COVID-19 list of the UK government which means that residents only need to test (negative) once without the need to quarantine when arriving back in the UK. Both Spain and Portugal are still on the 'amber' list, meaning passengers have to be tested and fill out a locator form prior to returning to the UK, with a mandatory 10-day quarantine and regular testing when back home.

A Brittany Ferries spokesperson told Shippax that it was working hard to make this new temporary twice weekly service happen, yet there were still a lot of 'ifs' and 'buts'. Should it prove successful and should there be a strong demand after mid-July, Brittany Ferries might decide to continue a weekly call with either CAP FINISTERE or PONT-AVEN making a weekly roundtrip from Plymouth to Santander and Leixões, respectively.

Plymouth-Leixões is a distance of 612 nautical miles with crossings taking 30 hours, Brittany Ferries said. CAP FINISTERE can reach a speed of 28 knots and has a capacity of 1,608 passengers and 1,926 lanemetres whilst Brittany Ferries flagship PONT-AVEN has a 27-knot service speed and a capacity of 2,100 passengers and 1,465 lanemetres.

Edited by Coastline

I doubt if the Ryanair boss will be losing sleep.   His prices start at £43 return.

35 minutes ago, moorgate said:

I doubt if the Ryanair boss will be losing sleep.   His prices start at £43 return.

How many cars can you get on a Boeing 737 though ? 😎😎😎

8 hours ago, moorgate said:

Car hire on arrival  surely.

Depending on how long you are staying, a lot of motorhomers and caravaners stay the full 90 days here. The general consensus from Brits and the Portuguese here are it is a incredible good idea.

10 hours ago, stevew1 said:

How many cars can you get on a Boeing 737 though ? 😎😎😎

Not many if they are towing!!

I saw a post re this a couple of days ago, and it was on the front page of the Western Morning News yesterday, but apart from that I cant find anything, not even FB coverage.

It may be real but, if I had to bet, may be no  more than an attempt at raising BF profile and keeping ferry travel in the spotlight

If it is real that's possibly good news for some.

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Allan Guest said:

Not many if they are towing!!

I saw a post re this a couple of days ago, and it was on the front page of the Western Morning News yesterday, but apart from that I cant find anything, not even FB coverage.

It may be real but, if I had to bet, may be no  more than an attempt at raising BF profile and keeping ferry travel in the spotlight

If it is real that's possibly good news for some.

🤔🤔👍👍👍

I would certainly give it a go , on the Pont Aven , not the Cap Finisterre , we like to have the ‘opportunity of one nice meal on the crossing & much prefer the PA buffet style restaurant to the CF formal choice . There are some wonderful camping choices in Northern Portugal , we stayed in the Estrela national park .

Edited by stevew1

43 minutes ago, stevew1 said:

🤔🤔👍👍👍

I would certainly give it a go , on the Pont Aven , not the Cap Finisterre , we like to have the ‘opportunity of one nice meal on the crossing & much prefer the PA buffet style restaurant to the CF formal choice . There are some wonderful camping choices in Northern Portugal , we stayed in the Estrela national park .

I sometimes almost feel sorry for those who have not had the pleasure of the Pont!

Some hate the ferry, some want it over PDQ, some don't want the overnight with a cabin and some like us, relish the leisurely pace, the fantastic food,as you say the buffet is something, and the early start to what can be a very good days travel on landing.

We have used all crossings from Harwich down to Plymouth, for various reasons but mainly due to the destination being to the East and the low prices but after another slow slog home from Dover, 360 miles, we decided that unless it was over a £100 more we would use BF.

Now its cheaper to cross from Plymouth, and Portsmouth is cheaper still, than Dover or the Tunnel.

The appeal would be subject to price-having considered going down to Lagos and pricing all the various route options the Santander crossing compares very favourably with a crossing to France and driving down-but we would certainly consider it.

Who knows, it could be an add on to the Santander routes, with two overnights, as on the Portsmoth to Spain crossings which stop at Roscoff for a crew change. 

13 hours ago, moorgate said:

And providing your pockets are empty and you don't have any luggage. :D

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

35 minutes ago, Jaydug said:

And providing your pockets are empty and you don't have any luggage. :D

I think he prefers at least one pocket full JD so that he can empty it 😡😡

1 hour ago, Allan Guest said:

I sometimes almost feel sorry for those who have not had the pleasure of the Pont!

Some hate the ferry, some want it over PDQ, some don't want the overnight with a cabin and some like us, relish the leisurely pace, the fantastic food,as you say the buffet is something, and the early start to what can be a very good days travel on landing.

We have used all crossings from Harwich down to Plymouth, for various reasons but mainly due to the destination being to the East and the low prices but after another slow slog home from Dover, 360 miles, we decided that unless it was over a £100 more we would use BF.

Now its cheaper to cross from Plymouth, and Portsmouth is cheaper still, than Dover or the Tunnel.

The appeal would be subject to price-having considered going down to Lagos and pricing all the various route options the Santander crossing compares very favourably with a crossing to France and driving down-but we would certainly consider it.

Who knows, it could be an add on to the Santander routes, with two overnights, as on the Portsmoth to Spain crossings which stop at Roscoff for a crew change. 

👍👍

14 hours ago, moorgate said:

Car hire on arrival  surely.

Not with a caravan though 🤔🤔

22 hours ago, stevew1 said:

🤔🤔👍👍👍

I dont think we have used the  Pont Aven  (unless its been on the Caen route) but have 3 times used the Cap Finistere to Bilbao and enjoyed it. Dont much like the route around the ship and up that ramp  but very much enjoyed the formal meal.

On 13/05/2021 at 08:49, stevew1 said:

🤔🤔👍👍👍

:goodpost:

Latest from BF newsletter:-

"As you may have seen in recent media coverage, we’re looking seriously at the potential of a UK to Porto route, to commence in June. A firm decision should be made imminently following discussions with port partners in the UK and Portugal. Portsmouth or Plymouth will be the UK departure point offering twice weekly return sailings. If it goes ahead this would be the first time in more than 40 years that Brittany Ferries has opened a route to a new country and will offer travellers the opportunity to avoid airport hassles and sail direct to the first major tourist destination to make it onto the UK government’s green list."

Tempting ....  North Portugal is lovely.  Went on a Ramblers holiday in the Duoro Valley once although should have been called a Port Tasting holiday as every walk ended at a farm or small port producer.  Permanently sloshed.

I suppose it will be as expensive as sailing to Spain.

Sounds promising , hope it takes off & is successful , we would definitely give it a try next year , I think this year may be a bit risky still . Hope they increase their holiday offerings , it would be nice to have some Pousadas to visit along with the Paradors in Spain & maybe some apartments up in Northern Portugal .

BF now says their Ferries will be sailing to France and Spain but not to Portugal. 

BF CEO has said its a no go for now since Spain has opened up for the UK, but he says never say never so it may happen.

• 2 weeks later...

Now call me a Cynic (quiet at the back!) but.......

Brittany Ferries “abandoned” the idea of operating a ferry service to Portugal last week, and now, this afternoon The Govt moved Portugal from the  Green to the Amber list, so it’s a case of “14 days self isolating” if you travel to the U.K. from Portugal from next Tuesday. 

I wonder if someone in the Govt had a “word” in BF’s ear last week??

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

You cynic. The decision is based on the latest data which shows the positive test rate in Portugal (which includes Madeira and The Azores) has doubled. A considerable number of countries have moved to the red list as well. A variant of the Delta (Indian) virus known as the Nepal mutation has been detected and hasn't yet been analysed to see if it is able to beat the vaccines.

Probably no connection but...........

Remarkable coincidence though isn’t it?? 

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

If the Government tipped the wink to a foreign ferry operator why didn't they tip off the airlines and travel agents who are livid about today's announcement.

The change takes effect 0400hrs Tuesday.

Why on earth would a UK govt tip off a foreign ferry operator? 

Or, how would any sane person believe that could be true? 

This is how conspiracy theories start, you couldn't make it up! 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion