tow car for 1900kg

Scarab

Posted (edited)

We are in the process of changing our caravan - it might happen this week, it might happen in 6 months. We are looking at the Adria Adora Sava, which depending on year and payload can weigh anything 1800 kg up to 2000kg. We currently tow a single axle 1550kg with a large estate . Tow limit of 2000kg, kerbweight in the 1750kg kind of area.  The new caravan will be a twin axle and on the AL-KO Delta axle. I'm happy to tow at or slightly above 100%, at least in the short term so the 85% thingo is not in play here.

I've been browsing for potential tow car replacements. Budget would will be what it has to be - but £15 to £25k are possible.  

We had been thinking about a Peugeot Traveller (space for bikes and gear inside) but these now look too light. the Mercedes V Class or VW Caravelle are options though - any views on these? They are expensive though, especially for a decent power output.

So my mind turned to bigger SUVs - I started with the BMW X3 and Discovery Sport- but these don't seem to be that much heavier than the estate (around 1850kg) although I am sure that perceived wisdom would be that they are good hefty towcars.  What do others think? Will 100kg extra weight in the base car counteract the stability that the lower centre of gravity of my current estate offers?

To get below a "100% match", it looks like I'd basically be into X5, XC90, Jeep Grand Cherokee or Kia /Hyundai Santa/Sorento territory.  I'm not really keen on Audi or Range Rover SUVs, the Lexus range perplexes me and I don't really want a big hairy-chested, Land Cruiser, Shogun or Disco. I also do not want a pick up. I'd go for a Hyundai over Rexton, which now look very expensive, comparatively.

Any thoughts?

Edited by Scarab

I know you have said ‘no’ to Audi but How about an Audi Allroad A6? With the V6 Tdi i imagine it is circa 2tonne.  There are also Merc E class estates, Volvo V90 and ditto 5 series all with 4wd that probably weigh similar with the biggest diesel under the bonnet. Otherwise you are going to need the sort of SUV you refer to get close to 100% match. I too do not get hung up on the so called ‘rules’ but wouldn’t want to deliberately go beyond 100%. 

5 minutes ago, Flatcoat888 said:

I know you have said ‘no’ to Audi but How about an Audi Allroad A6? With the V6 Tdi i imagine it is circa 2tonne.  There are also Merc E class estates, Volvo V90 and ditto 5 series all with 4wd that probably weigh similar with the biggest diesel under the bonnet

Good call on the A6 Allroad - they do seem heavy. I had looked at most other estates (E Class and v90) but they didn't seem all that heavy - I'm only going off Autotrader at this point though. I should say that the other half isn't keen on the front end length of the current car - but then it's her that really, really likes the Sava!

We had the same problem and just recently purchased a Volvo xc90 b5. So far we average 41mpg and 27 mpg whilst towing a T/A Elddis Zephyr. 100% recommend Volvo. This is our 3rd and not so much as a bulb blow.

If you are considering towing at over 100%, check your insurances to make sure that would be allowed.

Some state that the MTPLM of the caravan must not exceed the kerbweight of the towing vehicle.

I have had that in policies before.

Unfortunately my Volvo Plug in Hybrid is always with some fault or other, first and last Volvo i will buy. 

Agree re Insurance, i have seen that in policies too although quite how they would prove it is another matter. If uour caravan is in pieces spread across the road how can they weigh it?! 

We tow our 1900kg mptlm single axle with a 2015 Touareg and it does it really well.  

We tow our 1700kg Coachman VIP with a 2015 Mercedes ML, tows without issue and have only had one issue with the car since we had it 3+ years ago and that was a rubbing cable that was shorting out.

My 2018 Volvo V90 Momentum 2WD has a mass-in-service of 1850kgs, this is the base model with one or two added extras (tow bar and estate pack or whatever it was called) so a higher spec AWD V90 might well be tipping over 2000kgs on the scales.  Be aware that any published kerb weights are often a MINIMUM based on a poverty spec model so that they can try and appeal to the environmentally conscious buyer, actual kerb weights are model specific and a few extras here & there can bump it up significantly.

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

1 hour ago, colin h said:

We had the same problem and just recently purchased a Volvo xc90 b5

I do like the XC90, though it's a very big looking car. Seven seat would be a bonus for us. Pricey though, for the new model

1 hour ago, fred said:

We tow our 1900kg mptlm single axle with a 2015 Touareg

the Tourareg is definitely on the list. Nice and understated

1 hour ago, SuperRed said:

We tow our 1700kg Coachman VIP with a 2015 Mercedes ML

For some reason, I had in my mind that the M Class is unreliable. I might be about 15 years out of date!

4 minutes ago, Scarab said:

For some reason, I had in my mind that the M Class is unreliable. I might be about 15 years out of date!

I read many reviews of the ML 250 before purchasing and they were pretty good including reliability, apart from the one issue I have found it very reliable.

7 minutes ago, Scarab said:

Beware that even though it's a big car, they need to be specced from new with the right tow pack so they get the upgraded fans. I know someone with one who has to stop for a break every now and again to let the car cool down when towing.

1 hour ago, GaryB1969 said:

Be aware that any published kerb weights are often a MINIMUM

Very true - Autotrader has examples around 1700kg for your model.

I suppose, in a way, the minimum kerbweight is a fairly true guide as it ignores extra equipment which, like a full boot and five passengers, are then not included in the towing ratio.

I'm guessing the Volvo would get similar complaints from her outdoors as to the 5 Series (front too long!)

2 minutes ago, SuperRed said:

I read many reviews of the ML 250 before purchasing and they were pretty good including reliability, apart from the one issue I have found it very reliable.

:Thankyou:

1 minute ago, JCCD said:

Beware that even though it's a big car, they need to be specced from new with the right tow pack so they get the upgraded fans. I know someone with one who has to stop for a break every now and again to let the car cool down when towing.

Good to know. I would guess that a fair few are supplied with towbars.

59 minutes ago, Scarab said:

I do like the XC90, though it's a very big looking car. Seven seat would be a bonus for us. Pricey though, for the new model

You can get some cracking deals on the xc90 at the moment. Bought mine from Cambridge  Volvo  Portsmouth

Touareg/Kia Hyundai  would be where I'd be looking if we didn't have our Nissan Navara-190bhp tows our 2000kg Buccaneer with ease-loads of kit inc leather heated seats, (electric drivers) with a canopy so much space and 26mpg towing and  35 every day with 40 achievable on a good solo run-we just love it!

12 minutes ago, colin h said:

You can get some cracking deals on the xc90 at the moment. Bought mine from Cambridge  Volvo  Portsmouth

Good to know - definitely on the list

5 minutes ago, Jezzerb said:

Touareg/Kia Hyundai  would be where I'd be looking if we didn't have our Nissan Navara-190bhp tows our 2000kg Buccaneer with ease-loads of kit inc leather heated seats, (electric drivers) with a canopy so much space and 26mpg towing and  35 every day with 40 achievable on a good solo run-we just love it!

yeh, pickups just don't do it for me. The load bed is worth having but on a day to day basis I'd find the length and driving not so handy.

I tow an 1800kilo adora with a mercedes ml 350 auto sport. it eats the miles and can out accelerate many vehicles even when towing. Bit heavy on juice but its not our main car.

Transit custom sport Dciv manual 185 bhp. Good towing vehicle. Plenty of room in the back for bikes and caravan equipment. 

KIA SORENTO KX3 2012 Bailey Pageant Limousin SERIES 7 1700 kg

volvo xc70 D5 se

23 minutes ago, outnumbered said:

Transit custom sport Dciv manual 185 bhp. Good towing vehicle. Plenty of room in the back for bikes and caravan equipment. 

Thanks outnumbered. I've just been looking at these. My main concern is about going for the van version, which would limit me to 60mph on dual carriageways and 50mph on single carriageways (solo). My neighbour's 2014 Transit decided to destroy its engine on the M1 (out of warranty), though he still seems to like it!

Do you have direct experience of this? is it a pain?!

I've been looking at Tourneos, but an L1 with 185bhp is a rare thing. I understand that also that it must be a manual if I want to tow 1900kg (which I can cope with)

The tourneos  is not restricted like the customs are . Albeit they have the extra seats these can be taken out . Had my first decent tow a couple of weeks ago 2000 kg . Was pleasantly surprised at how it towed . The manual gives you the extra towing capacity. As for  issues I can not comment yet . 

9DA1EBEF-F826-4EA2-BD74-E19AEE987A4C.jpeg

volvo xc70 D5 se

1 minute ago, outnumbered said:

The tourneos  is not restricted like the customs are . Albeit they have the extra seats these can be taken out . Had my first decent tow a couple of weeks ago 2000 kg . Was pleasantly surprised at how it towed . The manual gives you the extra towing capacity. As for  issues I can not comment yet . 

9DA1EBEF-F826-4EA2-BD74-E19AEE987A4C.jpeg

thanks for the info. That was the thinking  behind a Tourneo, but I suspect there's a premium (nothing like the VW tax on Caravelles!) and they aren't as practical.  Yours looks very smart without going  down the boyracer route!

With 180 bhp and van gearing, I would hope for a good towing experience. Which would you say was nicer to tow with - the Kia, Volvo or Ford?

Just now, Scarab said:

thanks for the info. That was the thinking  behind a Tourneo, but I suspect there's a premium (nothing like the VW tax on Caravelles!) and they aren't as practical.  Yours looks very smart without going  down the boyracer route!

With 180 bhp and van gearing, I would hope for a good towing experience. Which would you say was nicer to tow with - the Kia, Volvo or Ford?

Having had  experience on all those , the xc90 wins hand down for comfort and towing capacity Apart from the fact the nose weight is on 90 kg on the 2012  . Having a  high nose weight on the van  , couldn’t get it down enough. Kia  had a kx3 2012 the most uncomfortable car I have every driven . The custom although not as posh as the volvo suits my needs in towing and storage capacity . Hope that helps 

I have heard Ford and Vw are going a joint venture 

volvo xc70 D5 se

1 hour ago, outnumbered said:

I have heard Ford and Vw are going a joint venture 

I believe the vehicle you are referring to is the Ford Transit Connect replacement?

There are a number of VW/Ford J/V’s planned. A Ford EV based on the VW ID3 platform; the new VW Amorak on the Ford Ranger platform (built in SA) and the next Transit/Transporter will be built by Ford in Turkey. 

This thread reveals a typical problem everyone ( including me ) recommends whatever they currently have.