Drive Away Awning - Condensation! (Thread copied from Motorhome Talk)

Admin

Posted March 22 2021

Looking to purchase a drive away awning. Searching the web it seems lots of folk experience a load of condensation in their awnings. We are changing from a caravan and Isabella awning to a motor home and never experienced condensation problems with the Isabella from north Scotland to south of France. Would really appreciate your feedback and suggestions of awnings that don't suffer from excessive condensations. Please don't tell me all awnings suffer from condensation, that is not useful. I have watched awning distributers/sellers videos where it looks like its raining inside the awning and they state this is not the fault of the awning.

Appreciate your feedback on real life experience's on drive away awning's that don't suffer from this problem. Thanks in advance. 

Northman

I wouldn't do that Northman but I would say that all awnings can suffer from condensation if warm damp air is allowed in a cool awning - for example if cooking in a caravan or motorhome, with a window or door venting into the awning. The trick is to get the right balance between ventilation and heating. Having used a drive away awning in the past, I was not impressed and found them to be something of a faff unless I planned to stay on site for a few days without moving the camper. In the end I opted to occasionally use a small free standing frame tent if weather protection or an outside sunshade was needed. As a rule, I tend not to stay in one place for very long, as in my opinion the point of having a motor is that a campervan can easily move from one place to another, so I can sleep wherever the journey takes me.

Campervan

Thanks for the replies, appreciated but surprised no feedback on loads of condensation problems. Perhaps awnings are not a "thing" with most motor home owners. I did not think about settling up a small tent. We already have a small gazebo we could use for longer stays to hide away the furniture, bikes etc.

I agree all awnings (as do buildings) can suffer from condensation when conditions merge. Its just that we have never experience any excessive problems in all our years of caravanning with a couple of different brands. With regards the drive away awning option, I was concerned it would be a just a hassle so will not bother and just use a small gazebo when staying on a pitch longer term. Thanks again.  

Northman

We have a simple sunshade permanently fitted to our MH like this . . .

image.png

I confess however that it is hardly ever deployed. Similarly when we owned caravans we only ever used an awning for longer stays, or if we were hosting a rally in which case we have been know to add the occasional extension . . .

The large red and beige awning above, did display problems of condensation if left fully zipped up but if the zips near the roof were opened to allow air to circulate, normally there was no problem.

I always thought of Drive-Away awnings as being just too much faff, but having used frame tents for many years, positioning a MH immediately adjacent to one of these would appear to be an agreeable compromise.  

image.png

Gordon

Thanks.

Northman

A bit off topic , be careful when you buy an awning if its a pump up as they usually come in one bag and are very heavy ( ie. instead of like pole type awnings which are in 2 bags ), we found ours too heavy to handle also , I have seen too many with the Pump up tubes Punctured so you can't put them up, just an observation.

Tony

Thanks for the observation. I have a couple of air-framed tents, and it is true that they are noticeably heavier to transport because you cannot split the load and so everything is in one bag. The big advantage I find with the tents is the shape of the package when folded is not defined by the length of the longest pole - because there aren't any.

Gordon

• Admin changed the title to Drive Away Awning - Condensation! (Thread copied from Motorhome Talk)

We have had Isabella poled and Kampa Air awnings. Condensation never an issue with the Isabella but the Kampa just ran with it almost permanently.  

Isabella/ Ventura make drive away awnings by the way

I agree with the above, it's all in the material. Although I was out with a friend on Friday and she has a VW camper.

They purchased a Vango stand alone that can be attached to the camper but also worked like a gazebo so was good for storage when off site.

Having owned premium brand air awnings I've gone back to poled made of the traditional awning fabric and this is where I'm staying.

Could you not use the wind out to bridge the gap between van and tent?

Posted (edited)

One thing I have noticed over many years of awning ownership is that the surface the awning is over makes a huge difference.

Hard standing (or chippings/gravel etc)  and there tends to be very little condensation. 

Over grass then there tends to be a lot of condensation. 

Think of the Bear Gryls type programmes where they show how to get clean drinking water by digging a shallow pit in the ground and stretching a sheet of polythene over the top. An awning is just a much bigger sheet if polythene!!

One thing that time has taught me is to always ensure an awning is ventilated overnight to reduce, as far as practicable, any overnight condensation. In addition the fabric any awning is made from has a considerable influence. The maxim appears to be the more you pay the less condensation you tend to get (non breathable versus  breathable Gor-Tex type fabrics??) 

I currently have a Sunncamp inflatable porch awning, no problems with tube punctures (I keep an eye on the pressure inside on hot sunny days) and no problem with condensation. Quick and easy to erect as well BUT it’s only used for touring not on a seasonal pitch.

Edited by Mr Plodd

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.