Posted (edited)

Anyone recommend sites (preferably C&CC or their CS sites) that are close to places for those keen on gardening (ie. Stately homes with decent gardens, nice non-chain garden centres etc).  My parents are keen gardeners and members of the C&CC and have asked about recommendations for sites from others with similar interests.

They don't like to travel too far from Leicestershire (around 2 hours maximum) so that rules out Cornwall and the like unfortunately.

Edited by GaryB1969

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

We have often stayed at Highfield Farm on the edge of Cambridge (though both both big clubs have sites nearby) for garden visits to Cambridge Botanic Garden and various college gardens in the town when they are open.   The Oxford camp site offers similar possible garden visits there.

4 hours ago, moorgate said:

We have often stayed at Highfield Farm on the edge of Cambridge (though both both big clubs have sites nearby) for garden visits to Cambridge Botanic Garden and various college gardens in the town when they are open.   The Oxford camp site offers similar possible garden visits there.

Cambridge Botanic Garden is always worth a visit, excellent venue....but a nightmare to park outside. Park and ride bus goes very close.

A few years back I went on an HF holiday based at their country house just inland from Worthing.  It was over three  days with a minicoach and garden guide that took us to:

Sheffield Park (NT)

Nymans (NT)

Munstead Wood (Gertrude Jekyll's house)

Borde Hill

with a trip into London as the finale with a whole day at the Chelsea Flower Show.

I'm not suggesting Chelsea but that sort of mid Sussex area has plenty of gorgeous gardens. Slightly further afield is Great Dixter and Denmans and if you can get in, Gravetye Manor gardens. 

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

Great info, thanks for the suggestions I will forward them on.

This site may be of help.

https://www.greatbritishgardens.co.uk/

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

49 minutes ago, Steamdrivenandy said:

This site may be of help.

https://www.greatbritishgardens.co.uk/

Brilliant, there are some listed on there local to me that I was previously unaware of.