Decent ‘less expensive’ towcar

100leelee

4 minutes ago, 100leelee said:

Thanks for the pointers...

Was offered a Renault Koleos, 2WD. Based on the 2008 X trail ( loosely).. I know, can hear the collective cries of No..!!

Has anyone any experience of them??

And yes,agree it’s not a heavy towcar...!!

Good cars - nice interior, very stable. 1st gear is a little high if you get the manual.

I agree with Wildwood. These days £5k is approaching bangernomics territory so focusing on condition is far more important than searching out a specific model. Maybe also look for some of the high depreciating cars such as anything French.

Last model Citroen C5’s were incredibly heavy (around 1800kgs for the estate). Dirt cheap and one with full history might be reliable (ish......).

Insignia’s are great value used, very comfy too. Ditto Peugeot 508 if they have the weight? A Previous generation Outlander is a quasi SUV/estate that also came in Citroen and Peugeot flavours. And almost any MPV is now cheap given they have fallen out of favour. The VW Sharan (and SEAT Alhambra cousin) sit on Passat running gear. 

Edited by Flatcoat888

44 minutes ago, GaryB1969 said:

Last model Citroen C5’s were incredibly heavy (around 1800kgs for the estate). Dirt cheap and one with full history might be reliable (ish......).

They were, I had one.

I had the 2.0TDi 140TDi Exclusive Auto. One issue I found the weight and conventional auto meant leisurely performance and 10mpg worse on fuel than the Passat that replaced it. 

Yeti 2.0TDi EU6 150 DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Fabia TSi DSG, Swift Challenger.

Loads of great suggestions in the thread. I'd also recommend the zafira tourer. Great towcar in 2.0 auto spec. Father in law has had two and really rates it. Depending on year they are rated to 1800kg but big enough boot to swallow lots of gear to get the payload right in the van. 

Very good drive solo too. 

3 hours ago, Flatcoat888 said:

I agree with Wildwood. These days £5k is approaching bangernomics territory so focusing on condition is far more important than searching out a specific model. Maybe also look for some of the high depreciating cars such as anything French.

Even a well maintained car at less then 5k may not get support just because of the make, reliability and quality wont mean squat. There are cars out there at less then 5k that have been maintained by enthusiasts.

Ok it will be an older car without all the bells and whistles but a diesel is good for moon mileage and at more then 10 years old can be found with much less then 100k miles on the clock 

macafee2

I am a diesel fan but some are rubbish so Depends on the diesel. The old VAG 1.9tdi is indestructible, i wouldn't say that about the Fiat/GM diesel nor the 2.0 VAG diesel from the mid noughties on. Lots of EGR and injector problems on more recent diesels. Some Beemer diesels have a dire reliability record too. 

8 hours ago, Flatcoat888 said:

nor the 2.0 VAG diesel from the mid noughties on. Lots of EGR and injector problems on more recent diesels. 

You cover three different 2.0 diesels in that period EA188 PD engines, EA189 CR engines and the current EA288.

The 2.0 with PD is very long in the tooth now, don't think you'd find many without very high mileage. As they are PD technology they have a relatively narrow torque delivery, are noisy and are prone to injector failure. Early models had issues with balancer shafts and waterpump failure but they will all have been sorted by now.

The EA189 is the engine implicated in the Emissions scandal. They were pretty well respected but the "Fix" uses the EGR much more which has shortened the EGR service life. Many owners have the "Fix" reversed or don't have it done at all which while not illegal is not morally correct.   My father in law has my old Passat that is running the software fix, on 160k miles now with no issues.

The EA288 is the latest EU6 compliant unit so as with all modern diesels is very complex. Only common issue I've seen is the variable mechanical waterpump sticking but these should be changed every 5 years with the cambelt for around £75 extra.

Yeti 2.0TDi EU6 150 DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Fabia TSi DSG, Swift Challenger.