Fiamma Caravan Store canopy

Hi I have just purchased a Fiamma Caravan Store canopy an it came with leg brackets to fit to the side of the caravan as shown on the picture, how do I fit these to the caravan as I'm a bit concerned about drilling into the side of the caravan.

Screenshot_20210509_214920_com.ebay.mobile.jpg

We've had two of these (both second hand) and never seen or used the wall brackets.  We just peg the feet to the ground,

Don’t, just stand the legs vertically on the floor, you can get Fiamma circular plates to put around the legs to peg them down

3C062747-E9E3-4450-A76D-ACEBA0889260.jpeg

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

9 minutes ago, Grandpa Steve said:

Don’t, just stand the legs vertically on the floor, you can get Fiamma circular plates to put around the legs to peg them down

3C062747-E9E3-4450-A76D-ACEBA0889260.jpeg

Never had a problem just using the integral hole in the foot of caravanstore leg with a singular ground peg...accompanied by the additional pegged storm straps.

If the wind is sufficient to lift the leg pegs with storm straps attached  ...it should have been rolled in beforehand.

10 hours ago, ericfield said:

Never had a problem just using the integral hole in the foot of caravanstore leg with a singular ground peg...accompanied by the additional pegged storm straps.

If the wind is sufficient to lift the leg pegs with storm straps attached  ...it should have been rolled in beforehand.

:Plus1:

I have the Caravanstorezip 4.1m version. Did use the legs initially but worried me that the awning could be compromised by a freak gust when out say. I too had the wall brackets supplied with the awning (plastic ones) but was aware aluminium versions could be purchased, which i subsequently bought. Yes you do have to drill 2 x holes in the side of the caravan. I thought long and hard about it but in the end i went ahead. I fitted backing plates to the inner wall of the van (so behind the wall-brackets which are obvs on outside of caravan) to add strength to the wall and screwed these to the wall and the floor. I also added aluminium backing plated to the wall brackets to add some strength again but more to act as an ‘anti-damage’ plate in case me or the wife ‘misses’ when fitting the legs into the brackets.

The awing is unrolled probably 3/4 of its normal span (ensure it is rolled up underhand though so water can still run off) and the rafters click in to the holes provided for this use and the feet will then slot nicely into the wall brackets and are locked in place by a sliding top on the bracket.

We really do love this set-up and is fine for the 2 of us and very quick and secure for a weekend away. We would still not leave it up if wind is forecast but have more confidence in this set-up than using the feet pegged to the ground. If we do put front/sides in then obviously we revert to the canopy fully extended and the feet onto the ground. Guess it depends how long you intent to keep the van whether you feel good to fit the wall-brackets. They are not that visible, even with my backing plates.

FCBD0660-F626-4912-A7A2-3E15D109E151.jpeg

361E61B2-AE3A-41DF-9A11-6E4B185E2777.jpeg

BA5C75DE-06A9-4DB1-9592-E7F20422B33D.jpeg

16 minutes ago, VOLVOVANNER said:

I have the Caravanstorezip 4.1m version. Did use the legs initially but worried me that the awning could be compromised by a freak gust when out say. I too had the wall brackets supplied with the awning (plastic ones) but was aware aluminium versions could be purchased, which i subsequently bought. Yes you do have to drill 2 x holes in the side of the caravan. I thought long and hard about it but in the end i went ahead. I fitted backing plates to the inner wall of the van (so behind the wall-brackets which are obvs on outside of caravan) to add strength to the wall and screwed these to the wall and the floor. I also added aluminium backing plated to the wall brackets to add some strength again but more to act as an ‘anti-damage’ plate in case me or the wife ‘misses’ when fitting the legs into the brackets.

The awing is unrolled probably 3/4 of its normal span (ensure it is rolled up underhand though so water can still run off) and the rafters click in to the holes provided for this use and the feet will then slot nicely into the wall brackets and are locked in place by a sliding top on the bracket.

We really do love this set-up and is fine for the 2 of us and very quick and secure for a weekend away. We would still not leave it up if wind is forecast but have more confidence in this set-up than using the feet pegged to the ground. If we do put front/sides in then obviously we revert to the canopy fully extended and the feet onto the ground. Guess it depends how long you intent to keep the van whether you feel good to fit the wall-brackets. They are not that visible, even with my backing plates.

FCBD0660-F626-4912-A7A2-3E15D109E151.jpeg

361E61B2-AE3A-41DF-9A11-6E4B185E2777.jpeg

BA5C75DE-06A9-4DB1-9592-E7F20422B33D.jpeg

I guess the main advantage of this method is not having to dodge round surface obstructions like guy ropes, pegs and legs. I can also see that it makes the process of erecting and dismantling a lot slicker.
Wonder why I never did that? 🤔

1 hour ago, ericfield said:

I guess the main advantage of this method is not having to dodge round surface obstructions like guy ropes, pegs and legs. I can also see that it makes the process of erecting and dismantling a lot slicker.
Wonder why I never did that? 🤔

Haha yes to an extent ericfield but you do still have to avoid the angles of those legs though as you come out of the door! I still think the wall brackets offer a good and strong solution though. In the OP picture it shows how the legs lock into the brackets and it would be a severe wind that pulled them out.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, VOLVOVANNER said:

Haha yes to an extent ericfield but you do still have to avoid the angles of those legs though as you come out of the door! I still think the wall brackets offer a good and strong solution though. In the OP picture it shows how the legs lock into the brackets and it would be a severe wind that pulled them out.

We live and learn... what fits our needs at one time doesn’t mean it stays that way! 

I never wanted to use serviced pitches...”it was for old unfit people”. Trouble is...I am now old and less fit than I was compounded by 2020 laziness. But the requirement during the pandemic to use our on board facilities, meant we found ways to nullify toilet smells and handle wet washrooms   made me realise not having to lug water barrels about was actually worth paying a bit more for.

Similarly, fixing the legs to the caravan always seemed to me to endanger the integrity of the caravan wall.
But I have learnt not to be macho by leaving the canopy out in winds. Even with ‘26’guy ropes it still flaps and annoys. Far more sensible to acknowledge that as it’s windy you won’t want to sit out there anyway, so reel it in!

With this epiphany, the risk (if there was one in the first place) to the caravan integrity is reduced by similarly reeling in the canopy in advance of bad weather ....and it’s probably quicker to achieve without ‘26’ guy ropes to undo.
 So although 2 angle legs are still and obstacle to avoid, they are potentially less of an obstacle than 2 vertical legs and associated straps.

‘Make life less complicated’ is my post Covid mantra. Revisiting entrenched opinions is a good start. 👍

Thanks for sharing

Edited by ericfield
1 hour ago, ericfield said:

We live and learn... what fits our needs at one time doesn’t mean it stays that way! 

I never wanted to use serviced pitches...”it was for old unfit people”. Trouble is...I am now old and less fit than I was compounded by 2020 laziness. But the requirement during the pandemic to use our on board facilities, meant we found ways to nullify toilet smells and handle wet washrooms   made me realise not having to lug water barrels about was actually worth paying a bit more for.

Similarly, fixing the legs to the caravan always seemed to me to endanger the integrity of the caravan wall.
But I have learnt not to be macho by leaving the canopy out in winds. Even with ‘26’guy ropes it still flaps and annoys. Far more sensible to acknowledge that as it’s windy you won’t want to sit out there anyway, so reel it in!

With this epiphany, the risk (if there was one in the first place) to the caravan integrity is reduced by similarly reeling in the canopy in advance of bad weather ....and it’s probably quicker to achieve without ‘26’ guy ropes to undo.
 So although 2 angle legs are still and obstacle to avoid, they are potentially less of an obstacle than 2 vertical legs and associated straps.

‘Make life less complicated’ is my post Covid mantra. Revisiting entrenched opinions is a good start. 👍

Thanks for sharing

Yes agree. I did think long and hard about drilling the van to fit the wall brackets but I was 100% confident I could prevent them leaking using my go-to sealant Soudal Fix-All and that was main concern. I certainly measured and measured again to make sure they were in the correct position along the van. I wanted them as close to the floor as possible and also in an area where there was an inner upright wall fairly close to offer strength, as well as my inner and outer wall plates. There was some Talk of a piece of pipe inside the wall to prevent wall panel compressing but i preferred my plates and careful tightening of the (stainless steel) hex head bolts and nuts. An added advantage of this method of using the canopy is that the canopy is only 3/4 unfurled and there is definitely less buffering in the breeze - although of course not quite so much ‘covered area’. It certainly is quicker and easier to put it away without pegs or guys.

I would do it again without hesitation if / when we change vans.