Another disconnection.

Not sure if this has appeared on CT previously.

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front - Discovery 4. Wheels at the back - Bessacarr 845.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Motorcyclist had a near miss, as well as the car with the dashcam. Wonder how the driver of the car it hit head on went on?

If you stop and start the video, the Toureg towcar was a few seconds behind another twin axle combo, being towed by a white Jeep. Neither appear to have towing mirrors attached (not that the accident was a result of that)

Not sure that the breakaway cable did its job if connected, would have expected to see the handbrake up?

Screenshot_20210509-101610.thumb.jpg.d5db9063822809bb2e04d06a90d6f24f.jpg

26 minutes ago, Lagerorwine said:

Motorcyclist had a near miss, as well as the car with the dashcam. Wonder how the driver of the car it hit head on went on?

If you stop and start the video, the Toureg towcar was a few seconds behind another twin axle combo, being towed by a white Jeep. Neither appear to have towing mirrors attached (not that the accident was a result of that)

As a biker I thought that on the first view, however the van actually hit him and appears to have ripped off  his O/S pannier.

He did well to keep it upright after that impact.

Possibly his luckiest day in his life.

Looked very dangerous. Not clear what caused the problem, but the tow ball cannot be seen in the hitch, so that coming off looks unlikely, but if not hitched correctly the caravan would normally come off when you hit the first bump, usually on site. The break away cable looks to have failed as it does not seem to have stopped the caravan. 

I agree, doesn't look like the breakaway cable did its job in pulling the brake on. No sign of a detachable tow ball in the hitch either. I always think its a mistake to loop the breakaway cable around the towball, despite many advising this. I always clip it on to the eye in the towing bracket. Yes the carabiner will fail if the van comes off, but its designed to. What do others think? I'm thinking it maybe better to loop the cable through the eye first before clipping it back on itself.

That's what we used to do Paul, Loop the hook through the eye, and connect back on itself

19 minutes ago, PaulHo said:

I agree, doesn't look like the breakaway cable did its job in pulling the brake on. No sign of a detachable tow ball in the hitch either. I always think its a mistake to loop the breakaway cable around the towball, despite many advising this. I always clip it on to the eye in the towing bracket. Yes the carabiner will fail if the van comes off, but its designed to. What do others think? I'm thinking it maybe better to loop the cable through the eye first before clipping it back on itself.

I fix a shackle to the towing bracket, loop the cable through then clip it back on itself.

6 minutes ago, Dave Capiro owner said:

I fix a shackle to the towing bracket, loop the cable through then clip it back on itself.

+1

Ditto

Same here, through this shackle.

Personally would not loop around a detachable tow hook like mine.

If I hadn't got it I would rig something up one way or another to connect to the car chassis.

20210509_164543.thumb.jpg.181e41574ebccc8cf1566f6169d91aa6.jpg

4 hours ago, PaulHo said:

The eye on my towball isn't large enough to pass the carabiner through so only option I have is to clip it on. (before anyone comments this is a library image - I HAVE cleaned the paint off my towball ;))

image.png.69ffbcc6ccea2cc7508d4af752527516.png

Life is not a rehearsal . . .:)

Porsche Cayenne S Diesel & Knaus StarClass 695. Previously Audi S4 Avant & Elddis Super Sirocco

Isn't this Eye on the detachable bit ? which makes it no better than looping around the towball. Is it a stowable towball ?

I know the eye on my towing bracket is too small for the carabiner to pas through  but I could take it off, put the cable through the eye and then reattach the carabiner before clipping it around the cable.  It worries me then that the carabiner wont go back through the eye that the cable would have to break if I was to get a breakaway. What do people think ?

33 minutes ago, PaulHo said:

Isn't this Eye on the detachable bit ?

That looks like a deployable, or possibly fixed, towbar to me?  

The Carabiner type is designed to be "clipped direct" to an attachment point so why anyone thinks it's wrong to do that is :blink: mind-boggling.

The carabiner should NOT be removable, rather it should be captive on the cable - see the AL-KO one here https://ukshop.AL-KO-tech.com/uk/breakaway-cable-with-caribena-clip.html

Dog-clip cables must be looped around and clipped around the cable.  I then pull it tight on the ball/bar.   https://ukshop.AL-KO-tech.com/uk/breakaway-cable-for-looped-attachment.html

Many breakaway cables and attachment points discussions on here can be found with a bit of searching.

I think Elddis still use the Winterhoff hitch? They are about as fool-proof as they come regarding hitching up, but this proves something wasn’t right. 

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

2 hours ago, PaulHo said:

Isn't this Eye on the detachable bit ? which makes it no better than looping around the towball. Is it a stowable towball ?

No it's not detachable - it's electrically deployable. And the eye is provided specifically to attach the breakaway cable to.

Life is not a rehearsal . . .:)

Porsche Cayenne S Diesel & Knaus StarClass 695. Previously Audi S4 Avant & Elddis Super Sirocco

3 hours ago, Griff said:

Same here, through this shackle.

Personally would not loop around a detachable tow hook like mine.

If I hadn't got it I would rig something up one way or another to connect to the car chassis.

20210509_164543.thumb.jpg.181e41574ebccc8cf1566f6169d91aa6.jpg

+1 here Griff.

Although I dispensed with the detachable in favour of a fixed Witter.

I note the van was a Buccaneer. Sad day for all involved.

The cable attachment on my Swift with an AL-KO Chassis is a Carabiner type but its no captive on the cable. I could unthread it. After seeing the advice here I will continue to clip it onto the eye on the towing bracket.

23 minutes ago, PaulHo said:

The cable attachment on my Swift with an AL-KO Chassis is a Carabiner type but its no captive on the cable. I could unthread it. After seeing the advice here I will continue to clip it onto the eye on the towing bracket.

I'd recommend replacing it with the correct one from AL-KO....

This is an example of an aftermarket breakaway cable that (imho) may not meet the spec AL-KO set for one to work properly (and has the non-captive carabiner on one end - why, when the other end is??) https://www.halfords.com/motoring/trailers-towing/trailer-accessories/ring-fast-fit-breakaway-cable-196488.html

We have had the caravan from new, I assume it is the one that AL-KO fitted.

34 minutes ago, PaulHo said:

We have had the caravan from new, I assume it is the one that AL-KO fitted.

If it is then it's not like the ones AL-KO picture on their website where the Carabiner is captive - as is their dog clip.  Post a pic of it, and the part that attaches to the brake lever under the caravan?

It's not unknown for caravan dealers to break or swap things out on new caravans;  so perfectly possible someone forgot to unclip the breakaway cable when taking it off the delivery truck and then used something off the accessory shop stock.

19 hours ago, PaulHo said:

It worries me then that the carabiner wont go back through the eye that the cable would have to break if I was to get a breakaway.

The cable is designed to break, after enough “pull” to apply the caravan brakes. 
The question regarding how to clip the cable is simple. If it’s the dog lead type of clip, loop it around and clip onto itself. If it’s the carabiner type, clip directly to the provided point. 

A bit surprised to see that the NCC advice hasn't changed since 2003 . . . . . 

Click Here for NCC Advice on the AL-KO website

This seems to be the same as the advice from the Caravan Club

Click Here for advice from Caravan Club

Nobody seems to want to mention that if the van hadn't been properly attached at the hitch, it's quite possible that whoever did it didn't attach the breakaway cable either. There's a sort of pattern in 'no extended mirrors', hitch not secured, no breakaway cable attached, part of the same trend surely. 

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

An ex colleague described his first caravan outing....

He was driving south from Pitlochry where he lived, en route to Cheshire.

Driving through the centre of Perth, he was a little surprised to see his van going straight on as he turned.

The van ended up against a Police Officers car! Thankfully there was little damage to the car and the van just needed a new cable.

How it had stayed on for that length of journey, on varied roads beggars belief. He was adamant that he'd checked it was connected properly, as it was his first time towing it.

3 hours ago, Steamdrivenandy said:

Nobody seems to want to mention that if the van hadn't been properly attached at the hitch, it's quite possible that whoever did it didn't attach the breakaway cable either. There's a sort of pattern in 'no extended mirrors', hitch not secured, no breakaway cable attached, part of the same trend surely. 

The van that fell off in front of my pitch while I was about to start cooking breakfast on Sunday had mirrors on, however they managed to avoid any expense when the caravan lifted itself off its resting place on top of their towball by having not connected the caravan electrics or breakaway cable before pulling off their pitch!