Dashboard Flasher Monitor Not Working.

Hi All

I'm new to this forum but I have what I consider must be a common issue but cannot seem to finds any other people suffering from the same problem.

I recently changed my towcar to a Ssangyong Rexton and then went about fitting a towbar and electrics.  I purchased a dedicated kit for the trailer wiring as it plugs directly into the rear light wiring harness.  The trailer monitor is via a light on the dashboard which is connected to a specific flasher relay supplied with the kit.

The problem is that the light on the dashboard does not flash when the  caravan is connected.  When I indicate the light only flashes once whether the caravan is connected or not although the flashers on the caravan work perfectly.

I presume this is something to do with the LED lights on the caravan not drawing sufficient load to trip the sensor in the relay and operate the light.  The relay is a 3 pin flasher relay which replaces the original vehicle unit.

Surely with all the caravan LED lights now a days someone must of had the same issue but I cannot seem to find a mention of it anywhere.   Does anyone know how to resolve this problem.  Richy- 

LED lights on caravan can cause many cars to suffer issues. 
Sargent electrical make a unit that’s fitted into caravan, to effectively increase the electrical load, so the car responds correctly. 
Before going down this route, you should try to connect to another caravan with traditional light bulbs, to see if problem remains. This should eliminate if car or van is the issue 

When we changed to our latest 2019 Swift based model, we were told that as it had LED lights, the car and caravan might not play ball with each other on the lighting front.

However they did play ball, other than the fact that the trailer symbol on the dash did not flash when the indicators were used.

I contacted Sargent Electrical (01482  678981) who produce the electrics for Swift who suggested that they send me a VLM which would put things right which they did and the trailer symbol then worked as it should.

The Vehicle Lighting Module was plug and play which was easy to fit and cost about £40.

So call them and chat it over, they are very good.

My VLM.

20210314_094211.thumb.png.8ae16eb4bdf1788cffcabb8706a18278.png

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front - Discovery 4. Wheels at the back - Bessacarr 845.

Great, I'll get onto this,  I was convinced someone must have a solution somewhere.  Good point also about checking on another caravan.  

I'll solder a lead to a bulb and connect it to the terminals on the 13pin plug to do the test, I am confident it will work because when I switch the hazard warning lights on the car the bulb on the dash works.  I'll then order the Sargent unit.

Thanks all Richy

My previous BMW activated the tracker module when it detected a reasonable current flow through the brake light circuit.

My bike trailer had an LED lighting board, and normally, everything worked fine. All the lights would operate......but the bulb failure device wasn't actually on! Mid way through a journey, the unit would somehow sense a little more current flow and activate the module.....but then the LED indicators wouldn't draw enough current to be detected, so it threw the fail alarm. Which was a double quick flash.

Then I had to make a decision whether to stop and briefly turn off the engine, restart and get back to "normal"...or just conform to the the BMW stereotype and not use the indicators anyway :-)

12 hours ago, AlwynMike said:

Then I had to make a decision whether to stop and briefly turn off the engine, restart and get back to "normal"...or just conform to the the BMW stereotype and not use the indicators anyway :-)

So which way did you go?😀😀😀😀

12 hours ago, AlwynMike said:

or just conform to the the BMW stereotype and not use the indicators anyway :-)

So it is true then and was your previous car an Audi...........🤣🤣😂😉

On my car (Mazda) the warning only operates if a caravan light isn’t working!

Initially I thought that very bizarre, but after further thought I reckon it’s  a better system.

My reasoning being that we are all accustomed to driving our cars and we  get a “warning” (dashboard light/click/sound) every time we operate the indicators, so that particular function becomes “the norm” 

However if you get an additional warning, that’s outside of the “norm”, when something isn’t working, it will attract our attention simply  because it’s not “normal” 

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

8 hours ago, Lost in the wilderness said:

So which way did you go?😀😀😀😀

No indicators of course!

7 hours ago, Silversurf said:

So it is true then and was your previous car an Audi...........🤣🤣😂😉

Stereotype is true, but I've never lowered myself to an Audi

I have got the flasher monitor light working now as you would expect,  the VLM4 arrived and has now been fitted into the caravan.

All the other lights seem to work ok as well.  Seems a bit of a sophisticated box to just increase the resistance on the indicators.  Makes me wonder what else it may be doing.  Richy 

1 hour ago, Richy- said:

I have got the flasher monitor light working now as you would expect,  the VLM4 arrived and has now been fitted into the caravan.

All the other lights seem to work ok as well.  Seems a bit of a sophisticated box to just increase the resistance on the indicators.  Makes me wonder what else it may be doing.  Richy 

It (the VLM) performs the check on the LED's and will signal back to the car a bulb fail - so its dual purpose and arguably rather essential ;)

Cheers, Martin

So does it feed back to the car via the towbar wiring flasher dashboard light.   If that is the case then it could only feed back whilst your operating the indicators by not activating the dashboard light. 

If that is how it works then I agree that's pretty smart.  B)Richy    

Rather than spend money on something that should be part of the 'van's standard equipment (IMHO), I simply fitted two bulbs into the flasher circuit, mounted under the bunks or, as I did, an extra repeater light under the front of the bodywork where they are an additional reassurance that all is well.
These provide the necessary resistance to trigger the warning light/buzzer. I found that 10w bulbs worked but 21w bulbs made the buzzer louder.

Cost: zero (raided my parts bin), time 1/2 hour max. Reliability: likely to be much higher  than any fancy, & expensive, gimmick. This obviously won't work on every vehicle but is well worth trying.

A potential failure of an LED unit worries me let alone adding a VLM as well. Getting either at short notice will not be either cheap or easy, & in the mean time the 'van is technically illegal on the road.

There was no real justification for changing from single bulbs (easy to replace & carry), other than aesthetics- & possibly increased sale appeal. In the real world single replaceable LED's are very good, built-up multiple LED units are nothing but a liability.

Posted (edited)

It wouldn’t work if it was standard on every van, I’ve just changed from Land Rover with a VLM4box fitted on a Swift to a Volvo, the van lights would not work at all on the Volvo, no ATC, nothing, had to remove the VLM4 box and it all works as it should. There is no standard protocols for car manufacturers to follow, so each one does their own thing. 

Edited by ad210358