Jump to content

Thetford cooker


Recommended Posts

Does anyone have any problems with a Thetford (Caprice) 3 burner cooker oven overheating? In my 2019 Sprite Quattro FB if you try and cook in the oven the complete cooker becomes really hot to the point you cannot touch the cooker. After cooking for around 45mins the food is still not cooked. Any help is grateful. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Unsure if this will help (as you've had no response yet) but on our 2011 model cooker, there is a computer style fan which runs to keep the controls cool? Don't know if that model has a similar arrangement or not, hope someone else can advise.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 08/05/2021 at 21:50, Charles Haycock said:

Does anyone have any problems with a Thetford (Caprice) 3 burner cooker oven overheating? In my 2019 Sprite Quattro FB if you try and cook in the oven the complete cooker becomes really hot to the point you cannot touch the cooker. After cooking for around 45mins the food is still not cooked. Any help is grateful. 

We have the Caprice in a 2016 swift and it does not do this.

 

It's not as good as the oven in our much older Sterling but it gets there in the end. Very easy to burn things (specially if the van is not level) and when using the grill you must have the little protector shield out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks Scarab, yes, our old van was the same, great little cooker. The van is sitting level but the whole cooker gets really hot. I have reported it to the dealer so will wait and see what they say. Meanwhile we use the microwave instead of the oven. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Charles Haycock said:

Thanks Scarab, yes, our old van was the same, great little cooker. The van is sitting level but the whole cooker gets really hot. I have reported it to the dealer so will wait and see what they say. Meanwhile we use the microwave instead of the oven. 

 

 

Yes, it definitely does not sound right as it is.

 

Once you get it fixed, the way to prevent burning is to make sure that nothing is anywhere near the back of the shelf (even on the top shelf). Not easy with a pizza, which is our go-to Friday night later arrival meal!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

More worried about the grandkids burning themselves somy wife said she is not using the oven. The 3 burners are fine on the top. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Charles Haycock said:

my wife said she is not using the oven.

Are you sure it’s not a ruse to get take away😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Towel on the oven door handle could prevent (baby goats) from harming themselves? 

Train them to keep away if it is on?

 

Note that oven doors can get pretty darned hot and still meet the BSI specs https://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/help/buying-advice/cooking-products/2640-bsi-oven-temperatures

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Charles Haycock said:

More worried about the grandkids burning themselves somy wife said she is not using the oven. The 3 burners are fine on the top. 

 

I think you are right to be worried.  The handle on ours certainly doesn't get so hot that we worry about the kids and the layout on our van is such that the space to get past the oven is pretty narrow so you certainly do brush against it.

 

if you get chance, post a picture of it lit, with the door open so we can see the burner and compare.  But you are doing the right thing in getting it checked.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks Scarab, yes, our old van was the same, great little cooker. The van is sitting level but the whole cooker gets really hot. I have reported it to the dealer so will wait and see what they say. Meanwhile we use the microwave instead of the oven. 

Cheers, unfortunately van is on a site but will get a pic next time we are up at it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't know that model, but quite a few that have a hinged glass top require it to be lifted up when running the oven. There are ventilation slots at the back of the hob on those for when using the oven. Some even have a gas interlock to enforce it.

Ignore me if not the case on yours.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Scarab, Just spent a while levelling the the caravan again today as you said to see if it helps the cooker. It did seem to help a bit although with oven on the grill glass became pretty hot. Food did not really cook so used microwave again.  I have added a picture of the burner for you to look at. 

IMG_20210514_174610.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Charles Haycock said:

Scarab, Just spent a while levelling the the caravan again today as you said to see if it helps the cooker. It did seem to help a bit although with oven on the grill glass became pretty hot. Food did not really cook so used microwave again.  I have added a picture of the burner for you to look at. 

IMG_20210514_174610.jpg

 

That looks very like ours - though much cleaner! You seem to have two shelves, we only got one!

 

I think you have an issue.  Ours definitely cooks and the grill glass does not get overly hot from the oven.  The levelling issue with ours is that if anything gets anywhere near the back of the oven, it burns easily.  If the van is tilted that way, as you close the door, things move towards the burner.

 

Thanks for the picture, I will try and take the equivalent to compare (don't judge us for the state of the oven)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...