Hi all. 

Need to buy a spare battery when van is stored to keep the alarm on (I have a solar panel, but doesn't seem to be enough). If its just to run the alarm is it OK to just buy a 75ah battery? 

What size solar panel do you have?  
Do you use the shutdown button on the Sargent main box?

The reason for the questions, a 100w panel should easily maintain your battery. Failure to use the shutdown button will create a fairly large load, that will flatten the battery (without solar) within a couple of weeks. 
What I’m driving at, is do you actually need to be playing swap the battery, or is there something else going on

Hi lost in the wilderness. Thanks for the reply. Not sure of the wattage on the solar panel. Did use the shutdown. I did wonder if it would be better as we move into better weather? Will check out the panel. Thanks again. 

It should be an 80W panel fitted as standard and, when shutdown, maintain the battery pretty well. 

Do you use Swift Command? If so run a report battery and see if Solar is working, if not check the solar regulator is operating per the instructions link here.

Assume you are storing outdoors with good solar (eg. good light/non shady)? 

Cheers, Martin

Hi martinjb

Thanks for that, great feedback. Van in storage now but will check it next week. 

Ignoring the solar panel, I would check the alarm back up battery. It should last a few weeks or more on its own but if it has failed it will be constantly trying to charge up from the main battery. I had this and the main battery would go flat in a short time (I do not have a solar panel). I seem to remember the alarm battery lasted about 7 years. It is the same type as used in our house alarm and the house one lasted 3 years. Replacements are available from places like Toolstation if it is a 12 volt 7.2 Ah one for about £18.

However, to allow for when there might not be a battery during the winter storage, I simply told the insurer and they removed the alarm from the policy which did not cost any more in premiums.