Elddis Avante 550 front seats

Didem

Does anyone know if the front seats of Elddis Avante 550's long enough to be used as single beds by children?

We really like the layout and the weight is right but I would like to find out the size of the front seats before I look further.  We have  Lunar Quasar 544 now, and although it is perfect in every other way for us, I'm tired of opening up the front seats every night to make a bed for the children.  I tried looking online but can only see the opened front bed size. Hope someone here would be able to help.

It’s a lovely layout the 550, but the front berths are really intended to be a double bed of 3’8 wide x 6’10 (which I see your trying to move away from), meaning a single bed length of circa just under 5ft (which includes the small area next to the front chest).  The side by the door is open ended so a slightly taller child could sleep with feet out of the bed, but the offside is fixed due to the kitchen. 

Hopefully a proud owner will nip out with a tape measure and give you an accurate reading 😉 failing that I am sure a dealer would help? Take the kids along and try them for size - remember the Compass models feature the same layout of you can’t find an Elddis

Maybe another to consider is the Bailey which has similar layout but large front singles of 5’11?

https://www.baileyofbristol.co.uk/touring-caravans/phoenix-plus/phoenix-plus-640/

Cheers, Martin

Thank you for your reply MartinJB. Bailey Phoenix  640 looks ideal. I'll contact some dealers and see of we can find one to view and try for size 😊

2 minutes ago, MartinJB said:

The Cabrera is, for all intents and purposes, an “up-specced” Phoenix+ The cost is also hugely upgraded!  I have a Phoenix and my pal has a Cabrera. I purchased mine 12 months after he bought his.

He paid £6,500 more than I did. Very difficult to see what justified the higher price tag. Having said that the layout (identical in both) is superb.  Bedroom and lounge separated by the bathroom. So the bathroom can be used at night by either “room” without disturbing the other.

I have just measured my Phoenix front benches for you, They are both 1800mm (6ft) long and 650mm (2’3””) 650mm wide.

Just remember if planning on using the front benches as children’s beds that they have a nasty habit of growing ! 

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

No, as Martin says, the front benches are very short, only suitable for very small children to use as single beds. We have the 574, which has the same front living area as the 550 and 554, the sofas are not very wide at all. We sleep on the made up bed, which at 3'8" with the front chest in place  is a rather stingy "double", more like a large single. We've removed the chest now, so have a full double space to sleep on, but of course that won't help you.

The problem you will encounter is that in a fixed bed van with full bathroom with separate shower, and decent sized kitchen, if like us, your choice of van length is restricted due to storage space, then the length has to be lost somewhere. In this case it's the living area. I don't know if you can go longer than the 7.21 m length of the 550, if you can, you may find more choice with longer front benches.

"Just remember if planning on using the front benches as children’s beds that they have a nasty habit of growing !"

Oh yes, we bought our van when our daughter was just turned 10; she is taller than me now, although that isn't difficult. :D

Thanks all for helpful replies.

I know they grow fast but our older daughter is almost 17 and I think she's done growing taller (don't tell her I said that 😄) and the younger one is only 6 so hopefully she'll be able to use the front bed a few more years.

We can't tow more than 1650kg with the current car so it limits our options.  I'll phone around this afternoon to see if we can find one to view and go from there.

Thanks again.

1 hour ago, Didem said:

our older daughter is almost 17 and I think she's done growing taller (don't tell her I said that 😄)

Ah, our oldest daughter grew an extra inch when she was 19...! 😄

30 minutes ago, Susan D said:

Ah, our oldest daughter grew an extra inch when she was 19...! 😄

Oh she would be so happy to hear that there is still hope 😁😁

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Didem said:

We can't tow more than 1650kg with the current car so it limits our options.  I'll phone around this afternoon to see if we can find one to view and go from there.

Thanks again.

Bailey Phoenix, even with the max weight upgrade has an MPTLM of 1450kg so well inside your max trailer weight of 1650 :)

Edited by Mr Plodd

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

We were away in our 550 last weekend 

10 yr old. (Maybe slightly taller than average) and 7 yard old slept on single beds quite happily and I’d reckon they will be fine for 2-3 years. Then we’ll just make the bed up at night. 
One thing we are doing that may help though is swap out the table in the middle for a cushion/seat so we have a U shaped seating area so it feels a bit more spacious

Sorry I haven't been back for a few days to check replies. 

We had a look at 550 last weekend and although it looks great, we decided it wasn't the right one for us.

Thank you all for taking time to reply, much appreciated.