Hi I'm looking to get a new tow car but not sure what would be beat my Caravan is MIRO: 1409 kg. MTPLM: 1565 kg. I currently tow with a 2011 2.0l Ford Kuga but just  feel it's not powerful enough.

My new tow car is a Kuga 2 ltr too and 150 hp my caravan is smaller but tows well.  I'm in the FB group Kugas with caravans and the owners there think they will pull anything.  I think there is also a 180 hp made, also people get them modified for more power.

I guess a lot depends if you like the Kuga otherwise or want a change.

If you decide on a new Kuga sounds like best factory extra is the retractable tow bar/ball.

Difficult one to say. If that's a 2.0 diesel it should be fine but here lies the issue. One person's opinion will be different to another person's. 

I think what you are craving is torque. Long stroke engines help here, capacity too will always help. Modern cars like to throw extra gears at the situation aswell which can be useful at keeping a vehicle in the right torque/power band. 

I'd be tempted to use a towcar outfit matching service online and experiment with different towcar options. You can configure the load and it will give you a base line by comparing your current vehicle to prospective ones. 

To determine a specific vehicle is almost impossible since opinion is subjective and what you prefer when not towing is again personal choice.  Suv? Estate? Fwd, 4wd? Petrol, diesel? 7 seats? All these things need consideration. 

Practice caravan YouTube reviews are also quite insightful too. 

58 minutes ago, David 38 said:

My new tow car is a Kuga 2 ltr too and 150 hp my caravan is smaller but tows well.  I'm in the FB group Kugas with caravans and the owners there think they will pull anything.  I think there is also a 180 hp made, also people get them modified for more power.

I guess a lot depends if you like the Kuga otherwise or want a change.

If you decide on a new Kuga sounds like best factory extra is the retractable tow bar/ball.

Thanks David I've joined the FB group 👍

The Kuga diesels were highly recommend on swift Talk before it was taken down...

I would buy a newer version...

You need to narrow down what YOU prefer or require in a car and go from there. There are too many variables to even start to make suggestions not least of which you haven’t given a budget, manual/auto etc etc. Land Rover fans will suggest Discovery Sport, Hyundai fans a Sante Fe or Tuscan, Volvo fans XC60, VW fans a Tiguan or Toureg  and so on and so on. 

I recommend the Mazda CX5 , still available with the diesel variant,

1 hour ago, Dave Capiro owner said:

I briefly looked at those a while ago and was surprised how light they were (going on the published kerbweight) compared to other similar sized vehicles.

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

We have the Hyundai Santa Fe which easily tows our Unicorn Cadiz, max 1400kg.

The Kia Sorento uses the same platform.

They  still do a diesel if buying new, also petrol hybrids.

We had a Sorento before the Hyundai, just got a better deal from them.

Both are good sized reliable cars with a great warranty.

10 hours ago, Dave Capiro owner said:

I'd be concerned about the sky active system failure. Had lots of trouble with these in the trade. Cam wears which shags the turbochargers with swarf, possibly fixed on certain years so do your homework. That's the short version and such a shame. Lovely car to drive and pleasing on the eye. 

Not on the later diesel that i have ever heard. Good tow car.

39 minutes ago, smith100s said:

I'd be concerned about the sky active system failure. Had lots of trouble with these in the trade. Cam wears which shags the turbochargers with swarf, possibly fixed on certain years so do your homework. That's the short version and such a shame. Lovely car to drive and pleasing on the eye. 

Yes certainly an issue on the early 2.2D's as well as oil dilution due to failed regens.

Yeti 2.0TDi EU6 150 DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Fabia TSi DSG, Swift Challenger.

Personally, I like to ensure I have more than enough power and vehicle weight, without making edgy compromises about the caravan or load. Economy is everything with towcars, and a Dodge Nitro (about £6-8k to buy),  will handle most caravans. I drive a Hyundai Terracan, (about £3-4k), which will handle any twin axle comfortably. Both cars are cheap to buy and run. - The Hyundai does around 21mpg with a twin axle, which is 'chunky' but I only use it for towing.  The car is SORN'd for around 6 months of the winter, so depreciation, ( I paid £4.5k in 2015) and road tax are pretty minimal. Others, in a similar vein, to consider, are elderly Shoguns or Land Cruisers.           

10 hours ago, GaryB1969 said:

I briefly looked at those a while ago and was surprised how light they were (going on the published kerbweight) compared to other similar sized vehicles.

They have a two tonne towing capacity.

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

18 hours ago, smith100s said:

got my first one 8 years ago, and owned three so far. I’ve done around 80k all told, no issues on any. 

43 minutes ago, Dave Capiro owner said:

got my first one 8 years ago, and owned three so far. I’ve done around 80k all told, no issues on any. 

And others including myself have had issues.

On 07/05/2021 at 09:30, GaryB1969 said:

I found the early models ok my 2013 sport was 1655kg, the 2015 model was 1703 kg a sport auto, while the later one was 1820kg not what I would call light?

Kuga that age had 140 or, possibly, 163 bhp?  Manual or auto box? 2wd or 4wd?

Tugged our 1500kg vans with a 140bhp TC auto Galaxy (09 plate) with no issues, even cf the FL2 2.2 157bhp 4x4 that we moved away from (which was, admittedly better as all 4 wheels were driven from a stop, no wheelspin like you can have with 2wd).  That said the 200bhp 2.2 TC auto Galaxy we got next was far more powerful.   That one preceded out current 190 bhp 2 litre 8-spd TC auto (same as latest Kugas) which is also excellent.  Galaxy is only 2wd and heavier KW than the Kuga so I'd expect a modern Kuga to perform OK.

The trouble with the question you pose is that we have no idea of your budget and what else you want from a replacement tow vehicle (manual/auto/2wd/4wd etc.,.). Even down to brands you'd never consider buying for whatever reason.

4 minutes ago, Rodders53 said:

Kuga that age had 140 or, possibly, 163 bhp?  Manual or auto box? 2wd or 4wd?

Tugged our 1500kg vans with a 140bhp TC auto Galaxy (09 plate) with no issues, even cf the FL2 2.2 157bhp 4x4 that we moved away from (which was, admittedly better as all 4 wheels were driven from a stop, no wheelspin like you can have with 2wd).  That said the 200bhp 2.2 TC auto Galaxy we got next was far more powerful.   That one preceded out current 190 bhp 2 litre 8-spd TC auto (same as latest Kugas) which is also excellent.  Galaxy is only 2wd and heavier KW than the Kuga so I'd expect a modern Kuga to perform OK.

The trouble with the question you pose is that we have no idea of your budget and what else you want from a replacement tow vehicle (manual/auto/2wd/4wd etc.,.). Even down to brands you'd never consider buying for whatever reason.

Ford power is quoted in PS not bhp.

59 minutes ago, xtrailman said:

Ford power is quoted in PS not bhp.

One metric horsepower is slightly more than one brake-horsepower, so hardly worth correcting the poster. 

1bhp = 1.01387 ps

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

3 hours ago, Dave Capiro owner said:

Thankfully your experience is a positive one and I'm sure many others are in a similar position however many have not, the last two we sold both ended up being bought back and sent to the auction. Shame as I say I really like them and the engine however I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole. Potential for serious expense. 

My work colleague has just forked out for a fresh turbo, dpf and something else which i forget on his cx5. The RAC breakdown sheet stated high oil level on the list of issues

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Dave87 said:

Clearly a short journey individual (so lots of aborted regens) who fails to check his oil level regularly. I have had 3 X Mazda 6 diesel Estates now,  1 manual and two auto’s, same mechanicals as (2 WD) CX5. Not a single issue (other than an electric seat base failure, covered by used car warranty fortunately :D ) with any of them. 

If I had deep enough pockets, and sufficient patience, I would love a RR but only the fore and aft engine version not the transverse ones as it seems to be those that have the issues.

Oh, and due to their somewhat dubious reputation they have it would have to be new to be sure any problems were JLR’s and not mine ;) (and that of course rules out the non transverse engine versions now) 

Edited by Mr Plodd

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

4 hours ago, xtrailman said:

And others including myself have had issues.

I found the early models ok my 2013 sport was 1655kg, the 2015 model was 1703 kg a sport auto, while the later one was 1820kg not what I would call light?

True, I’m sure when I looked I saw the kerb weight was around 1500kgs which seemed wrong, it could well have been a misprint. I have a feeling it was in one of the caravan magazines.

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

1 hour ago, Dave87 said:

My work colleague has just forked out for a fresh turbo, dpf and something else which i forget on his cx5. The RAC breakdown sheet stated high oil level on the list of issues

For some reason the Mazda 2.2D as well as the Cam/turbo issues also suffered oil dilution issues and blocked dpf through failed regens as they struggled to get temperature in the DPF so have to perform more active regens than most other diesels. (Some JLR Ingeniums excluded)

Not so much of an issue in colder climates like the UK but in hotter climates they also suffered failed head gaskets. And Mazda actually authorised a replacement engine program for some markets. One Australian dealer on the Mazda forums said they were replacing two engines a week, that's just at one dealer.

Yeti 2.0TDi EU6 150 DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Fabia TSi DSG, Swift Challenger.

2 hours ago, logiclee said:

For some reason the Mazda 2.2D as well as the Cam/turbo issues also suffered oil dilution issues and blocked dpf through failed regens as they struggled to get temperature in the DPF so have to perform more active regens than most other diesels. (Some JLR Ingeniums excluded)

Not so much of an issue in colder climates like the UK but in hotter climates they also suffered failed head gaskets. And Mazda actually authorised a replacement engine program for some markets. One Australian dealer on the Mazda forums said they were replacing two engines a week, that's just at one dealer.

Yes that was a particular production run around 2012 to 2013 where engines were fitted with soft cams  and faulty brake vacuum pumps, both could block oil lines and starve the sequential turbo of lubrication.

Leaking injector seals in turn could block the sump pickup strainer leading to low oil pressure, and with the cars oil dilution created no end of problems.

Its nothing to do with the cars usage that creates the dilution but the engine design, if it was usage then both my PDF equipped  Xtrail and Tiguan would have oil rise too,  they didn't.