Caravan rear lights causing towbar electrics to stop functioning

Hello, any auto electricians out there?

I have been having a problem with my 1988 (swedish) caravan rear main lights. The indicators and brake lights work fine but the main lights do not. They have come on intermittently as i tried to fit new bulbs. I tested the car 7 pin plug and the two main light contacts showed 11-14v, after connecting to the caravan only one was still at 11-14v, the other was 1-4v ( it went from 1 to 2 to 3 to 4 v and then no further). Now neither of the car 7 pin plug mains have any power but the other lights on the caravan are still working. 

Any ideas would be gratefully received, before i go nuts.

Thank you

Check the connections in the car socket and in the connecting plug. It could be a loose or corroded connector. Check earth ones too. It sounds like the car is ok but van plugs can cause issues with age.

Also check the actual bulb  holders in the lights. Contacts need to be clean and making good contact.

There may be a loose or corroded connection in the lights themselves, again make sure earth and positive leads and connections are good.

With any problems I always replaced the 12N plug and socket, a total of about £6, making sure the wires were not blackened by weathering. And that the screws had a tight hold on the wires. 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion