Gas connection

Phil37

Message added by CT Advertising,

clesse-320x120.jpg

Hi, I would like to connect a larger propane gas cylinder. My regulator is in the gas locker. The cylinder will stand by the jockey wheel. I can connect to the cylinder with regulator and pipe that I can buy on ebay, but it doesn't have a fitting on the other end to connect to the caravan. Buying a long pigtail might not be long enough. All suggestions welcome.

I have a long steel braided pig tail that I used when I had a 13 KG propane cylinder which I kept outside, It worked fine and I used it mainly on rallies. One thing you will find is that the CMC and many other commercial sites have rules that do not allow gas cylinders to be connected outside the van locker. I was told to put the cylinder in the locker on a CMC site in Wales once. Fortunately it did just fit.

The concern is mainly one of safety in that the cylinder and pipes / regulator can be tampered with by others and that the cylinder could fall if not secured properly which could damage the pipe, release gas etc.

Hope this helps.

Frank

Thanks for that.

I'm on a seasonal pitch. I've noticed statics have large cylinders outside.

I may have a word with one of them next time I'm on site.

10 minutes ago, Phil37 said:

Thanks for that.

I'm on a seasonal pitch. I've noticed statics have large cylinders outside.

I may have a word with one of them next time I'm on site.

As you are on a seasonal pitch you should discuss this with the site owner. They may have restrictions and / or advice on how you can use a larger cylinder. I now use 10 kg Safefill cylinders which do fit in the locker and the price of gas is much lower. Just paid £10.45 for 10 kg refill. These cylinders are however quite expensive and you do need to have access to sites/garages etc that can refill. They are good value if you use a lot of gas but if you are on a seasonal site I assume you mainly use EHU.

Frank 

Never heard of safefill .

I think for the moment I'll wait until the bottles come down in price. Also there doesn't seem to be any places that I could refill close to me.

Definitely something to keep an eye on.

Thanks.

3 hours ago, Phil37 said:

Hi, I would like to connect a larger propane gas cylinder. My regulator is in the gas locker. The cylinder will stand by the jockey wheel. I can connect to the cylinder with regulator and pipe that I can buy on ebay, but it doesn't have a fitting on the other end to connect to the caravan. Buying a long pigtail might not be long enough. All suggestions welcome.

You stated you already have a  regulator in the gas locker, but went on to say you could connect to cylinder with regulator and pipe from eBay. 
You cannot do that, as effectively you would have two regulators in line with each other, and that won’t work. Simply, the pressure loss across a regulator will result in a low gas pressure to your appliances, and that could be dangerous. 
If in any doubt, please consult a dealer or mobile caravan gas engineer 

Yes I thought that may be the case. On ebay they seem to only sell the male cylinder connection with the regulator. All I was  after was the male and female connections to fit on to some pipe.

14 minutes ago, Phil37 said:

Yes I thought that may be the case. On ebay they seem to only sell the male cylinder connection with the regulator. All I was  after was the male and female connections to fit on to some pipe.

Try searching for “pigtails”, as this is what your looking for

Do not try to make up your own hose with fittings from cylinder to regulator. This hose is at high pressure and it is important to buy the correct stuff. I used a 1500 mm high pressure hose such as those advertised HERE

This was adequate to reach out of the gas locker to a 13 kg cylinder but you will need to check all your own measurements. This is of course only a temporary arrangement for short stays. Hope this helps

Frank

24 minutes ago, pfr said:

Do not try to make up your own hose with fittings from cylinder to regulator. This hose is at high pressure and it is important to buy the correct stuff. I used a 1500 mm high pressure hose such as those advertised HERE

This was adequate to reach out of the gas locker to a 13 kg cylinder but you will need to check all your own measurements. This is of course only a temporary arrangement for short stays. Hope this helps

Frank

Yes your correct. The longest  pigtails I can find are 3 metres. 

2 hours ago, pfr said:

As you are on a seasonal pitch you should discuss this with the site owner. They may have restrictions and / or advice on how you can use a larger cylinder. I now use 10 kg Safefill cylinders which do fit in the locker and the price of gas is much lower. Just paid £10.45 for 10 kg refill. These cylinders are however quite expensive and you do need to have access to sites/garages etc that can refill. They are good value if you use a lot of gas but if you are on a seasonal site I assume you mainly use EHU.

Frank