Ideas please!

We are very slowly inching towards Moho ownership and gradually refining our ‘must haves’. As with caravans the choices seem limitless so we are interested to hear the views of owners. The essential criteria are max 7.0m long, 3-4 berths, prefer coachbuilt although not ruling out camper conversion, must have on board sensible shower, 4 seat belts, decent storage/garage, usable kitchen (oven essential), camera. Would like automatic g/box option and powerful diesel (albeit would remap if necessary), microwave, narrower and lower the better. Not into A class  style unit. Any suggestions? 

Have you hired and tried? Swift go is a good way to try their models as you may recall from SwiftTalk? I seriously recommend you do. 

Layout as always is king IMO, if your happy with the Fiat cab (and new pukka 9 speed auto box not the horrible old robot clutch auto) then you will find soooooo much choice you head will hurt 😳

Cheers, Martin

We will hire before we buy to ensure the reality is more dream than nightmare! I agree re layout too from our caravanning purchase experience. In an ideal world would prefer a Merc or VW chassis but suspect that will be difficult and very limiting. I know Bailey are using Ford on some of theirs and quite liked the review. 

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Flatcoat888 said:

We are very slowly inching towards Moho ownership and gradually refining our ‘must haves’. As with caravans the choices seem limitless so we are interested to hear the views of owners. The essential criteria are max 7.0m long, 3-4 berths, prefer coachbuilt although not ruling out camper conversion, must have on board sensible shower, 4 seat belts, decent storage/garage, usable kitchen (oven essential), camera. Would like automatic g/box option and powerful diesel (albeit would remap if necessary), microwave, narrower and lower the better. Not into A class  style unit. Any suggestions? 

We have a similar requirement but need floor space for our large dog. I compiled  a list of around 12 Motorhomes and van conversions on a spreadsheet which includes fridge size, type of bed, garage type, length, width and our scores based on viewings where we could but mainly YouTube vids. Our short list included Chausson 630/640, Rapido and Pilot Compact but we have put a deposit down on a Bailey Adamo 69-4.

oh if you do take the plunge check that the dealer has them on site as there may be a huge delay due to transponder chip shortage. See my post on the subject.

Edited by Omega54
Added more info.

Thanks. We are not buying now, probably back end of the year however we want to get to the stage of a long list and preferably short list (ideally with one that is available through a hire company) so we can focus on negotiating a deal. All assuming the hiring experience is poositive! 

On 04/05/2021 at 15:40, Omega54 said:

We have a similar requirement but need floor space for our large dog. I compiled  a list of around 12 Motorhomes and van conversions on a spreadsheet which includes fridge size, type of bed, garage type, length, width and our scores based on viewings where we could but mainly YouTube vids. Our short list included Chausson 630/640, Rapido and Pilot Compact but we have put a deposit down on a Bailey Adamo 69-4.

oh if you do take the plunge check that the dealer has them on site as there may be a huge delay due to transponder chip shortage. See my post on the subject.

One of your criteria should definitely be "payload". We have the Adamo 69-4, and it's alovely moho, but there's no way I would class it as a 4 berth. Yes, it's got 4 beds and 4 travelling seats but it is a bit limited on payload at 410 Kg. Consider that you should allow 75 Kg for each passenger (over and above the driver) and you're eating into that 410 Kg.

Basically, the moho is a little on the heavy side - MRO is 3090 Kg with MTPLM of 3500 Kg. Another downside of this is that speed is restricted to 50mph on single carriageway roads and 60mph on dual carriageways, because MRO is in excess of 3050 Kg.

Other than that, highly recommended; the Ford auto is in a different league to the ubiquitous Boxer/Ducato.

I think the payload issue will be a challenge albeit i am fine to drive over 3.5tonnes. I suspect the minimum payload needs to be 600kg.