Trying to find a decent brand and model

7 hours ago, swirly182 said:

That was my suggestion only, make sure you do your own research and view plenty of different vans before parting with the cash. 

The van is ideal for us... Anyway I’ve messaged the seller to ask about the cost of a mover and a solar panel. No reply as yet . 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spent a lot of today’s rainy day looking at caravans. 

Couple of things surprise me...

Lunar vans are still very expensive perhaps more so than the likes of Bailey or Swift...... That’s with the downsides of Lunar no longer being in business so parts potentially hard to find.

Two dealers said they didn’t really want to sell to purchasers who don’t have a PX. This is because they can’t find used stock so if no PX they have to physically go out and hunt down used vans. 
There was me thinking not having a PX would put us in a better position. 

Other thing sellers don’t like is buyers who don’t want or refuse finance. I was beginning to feel like a Leper by that point. 

Dealers tell me that brand new vans have gone up buy around 7 to 900. So on a new van that’s about 5%...... 
Used prices on the other hand have increased hugely. Many 6 or 7 year old vans priced way above when they were new ! 
Some Private sellers are being very very greedy indeed. 

I think if we are to buy this year it’ll be new rather than used. It’s an incredibly tough marketplace to purchase in right now.

We are actually not that fussy. My wife suffers disability now which is why twin beds of an island bed is the main requirement. Pretty much everything else within reason we can compromise on. 

The hunt goes on. 

Lastly if anyone spots a nice van from 2013 up to and including brand new please let us know. It will be hugely appreciated 👍👍👍

When we bought our new van last year, the dealer was most hacked off when we told him we had sold our trade-in. The prices are simply the market responding to supply and demand. In hindsight i probably underpriced the van we sold by £1k or so. Having said that we got a 17% discount on the new van and a lower finance rate than anyone else could offer so happy enough with the deal. However we are now inching towards going for a moho later this year. 

1 hour ago, Flatcoat888 said:

When we bought our new van last year, the dealer was most hacked off when we told him we had sold our trade-in. The prices are simply the market responding to supply and demand. In hindsight i probably underpriced the van we sold by £1k or so. Having said that we got a 17% discount on the new van and a lower finance rate than anyone else could offer so happy enough with the deal. However we are now inching towards going for a moho later this year. 

We did the Motorhome thing for some years.. At one point we never imagined ever having a caravan. We had to tow a small car latterly because of my wife’s disability.....

We then decided to try a caravan because towing a wee car in Europe became a bit of a no no...... We realised once we got our caravan what a compromise a Motorhome can be. Unless you get a huge Motorhome the space is always far far less than in caravan. 
Towing a car behind a motor home is tricky. Reversing is a black art which many can’t master. Towing a caravan and reversing is in comparison very easy. I’ve towed and still tow big trailers and boats. Always found it so easy. 
Plus when we’re away we have our nice big comfy car to get about in. 

This is the conundrum we frequently debate, space (lack of) and transport when at destination versus the benefits of not towing a caravan.  

This is the conundrum we frequently debate, space (lack of) and transport when at destination versus the benefits of not towing a caravan.  

I'm looking forward to meeting up with my brother next time. He was a motorhome user towing a small car for a few years but eventually became envious enough of the space afforded in my caravan that he's just traded in and converted to car/caravan. Be interesting to hear his views once he's used his new rig for a while.

Life is not a rehearsal . . .:)

Porsche Cayenne S Diesel & Knaus StarClass 695. Previously Audi S4 Avant & Elddis Super Sirocco

I /We can only say what we found......

In the UK a caravan wins every time. In France the MH is very good if you use the Aires..... We never used them most were not very nice. Cheap yes but we’re on holiday so don’t worry....

You have to have a great big MH to get a fixed bed. An island bed is rare. So the layouts are very compromised unless you have very deep pockets. 

To buy anything really nice and a good size in the MH world is mega money. Many on the MH forum I used to be on took out second mortgages or took equity release on their houses. Sod that for a game of soldiers.... 

Our budget for a caravan may not be huge but the van will be ours with no drip on it. We will have ample space just as we had with our last van and will be very comfortable. 
We live way out in the sticks on high ground so a 4X4 is essential so no extra expense for a tow car. 

Caravan for us every time 👍👍👍

Posted (edited)

Agree about aries but there are fixed bed moho’s that are not single decker bus sized or need a lottery win to buy too. We travel abroad most years with the caravan and have family links in Germany and family in CZ which is in part why the moho has an advantage on paper. Our view is you can’t take it with you, you are a long time dead. my stepson earns more in a month than i do in a year so he doesn’t need it. After a lifetime of chronic incurable health i intend enjoying myself in older age! 

Edited by Flatcoat888
4 hours ago, Flatcoat888 said:

I am looking for my first van at the moment, feeling that second hand prices are far too high I have decided on buying new. The coachman VIP 575 I am considering is nearly £30k, in this seller's market do you think getting a discount is possible? 

Have you asked? Is the van in stock? Are you ‘considering’ as in unsure (danger of being perceived by the dealer as a timewaster) or are you in a position to strike a deal? 

The prices of caravans seem to be going up literally overnight at the moment. I had been looking at prices at a large dealers of their new caravans that were in stock , the very next day the same Van's had gone up in price on average £400. 

9 hours ago, Jez1 said:

I am looking for my first van at the moment, feeling that second hand prices are far too high I have decided on buying new. The coachman VIP 575 I am considering is nearly £30k, in this seller's market do you think getting a discount is possible? 

My experiences over the last couple of weeks suggest no discounts.....

It may be possible on hard to move ones but the popular ones are virtually going straight out the doors. Several manufacturers have increased prices by 5% in the last two weeks. 
It’s still likely the best bet right now to buy new as the increase in used prices is nothing short of crazy. 
In reality and the business side of me says leave it a year. Once the folk forced to staycation go abroad again or the reality of towing etc etc kicks in prices will return to some kind of normality or there could even be an oversupply which will bring prices right down to perhaps bargain money. 

But that for us means no holiday and that’s not on........

A bit of research on Caravan finder reveals that there are no new Sprites for sale. Perhaps Swift have concentrated on making the higher priced Challengers. There are new Swifts and Bailey 4 berths available at roughly £25k, 2 berths being about £4k less. There are also 4 berth Adrias at £21k. Charlie has to weigh up the shorter warranty and poorer dealer coverage. I don't know if Adria have timberless (plastic) construction like Swift and Bailey. 

We paid £21k for our Swift Challenger 565 at the end of 2019. It was an ex display model but the plastic covers were still on the beds, carpets, cooker, fridge and toilet. Although it was a 2019 model year it may well have been made in 2018. The warranty runs from the day of purchase so no matter. With Covid, I was cursing the white elephant sat on my drive as we only got out in it for 8 nights in 2020. (our old Swift was perfectly serviceable) It seems we did the right thing as it appears to be worth more now second hand than we gave for it. Second hand prices have gone silly. 

Thanks for the replies, I think i will wait until the end of the year to see if the demand slows down during the so called quiet time. At least I will hae one for next spring, but I really wanted one this year :(

25 minutes ago, Jez1 said:

Thanks for the replies, I think i will wait until the end of the year to see if the demand slows down during the so called quiet time. At least I will hae one for next spring, but I really wanted one this year :(

Have you considered hiring for this year? Around £400 per week - East Midlands hire company here

7 minutes ago, SamD said:

Have you considered hiring for this year? Around £400 per week - East Midlands hire company here

Thanks for the suggestion Sam, I didnt realise caravans could be hired. I will take a look

Sprites are sold out because they are good value. You might find a dealer special version of a Sprite. Most manufacturers supply dealers with ‘special edition’ vans loaded with options and different fabrics for a couple of grand more than basic model. In my experience they are good value. 

I tend to think this year is not the one to buy. A lot of people taking up caravanning will find t is not for them and so their models will be back next year as well as a new batch of next years models. If I am right prices will drop again but surely n two years we will be back to where we were. I hope so, as that would normally be about when we change ours. 

Glossop Caravans are still showing a few new-ish used caravans with fixed twin beds and also claiming they still have stock of SOME new Sprites.  They are big place and I know they do pre-order stock AND their prices are usually quite keen.

As with any dealer, do your homework on their after-sales support before buying anything.  I bought four brand new caravans from Glossop, one every two years.  My last two caravans came from elsewhere and I offer no personal recommendations for any dealer............

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

I can recommend Glossops IF they are accessible for you. We bought our Eccles from them last year after our local dealer (Lowdhams) from where we had previously bought 2 vans were disinterested in doing a deal. We saved about £5k overall on the deal with Glossops. 

I was bemoaning to myself the fact that I agreed to buy a new van in March last year just before the pandemic hit and have had limited use of it since, including cancellation of a month long European tour last summer. On the flip side I got a super new (2019 model) caravan discounted by £10k. Given the way prices and availability have gone since, I'm now more than happy with the deal I got and hopefully there will be plenty of future time to enjoy it.

Life is not a rehearsal . . .:)

Porsche Cayenne S Diesel & Knaus StarClass 695. Previously Audi S4 Avant & Elddis Super Sirocco

I can recommend Glossops IF they are accessible for you. We bought our Eccles from them last year after our local dealer (Lowdhams) from where we had previously bought 2 vans were disinterested in doing a deal. We saved about £5k overall on the deal with Glossops. 

They always gave the best price, sadly their after sales support weren’t quite as good.

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

So far the experience is mixed (not as bad as i had heard) and with Covid probably difficult to judge fairly. They did phone up in April ahead of reopening to get me booked in for a long outstanding warranty issue so full marks for being pro-active with that. Then again Lowdhams went through an ‘off’ period too hence i now use a local mobile engineer. 

Tricky one this.

We've just decided that we really want to swap vans.  It's clearly a bad time to buy second hand (expensive) or new (rare) and normally I'd just decide to sit tight until the NEC show (assuming it happens).

On the other hand. part of me think s that we are never going to get a better trade in price for our 2016 family layout Sprite!  I guess it comes down to whether we can secure what we want to trade it in against...

Secure your new van and then sell privately, you will be quids in.