Can you do B+E test with your own caravan? Also test tips

There seem to be limits on the weight as a minimum but nothing as a maximum weight and size.  We are struggling to get a b&e assessment and test booked in promptly, so looking at a DIY option.  I am an experienced tow-er so hopefully I will pass.  Any tips are very welcome though..

Thanks

Posted (edited)

The rules for car and trailer are here.

https://www.gov.uk/car-trailer-driving-test

It requires an enclosed box type trailer e.g. horse box. The general description does not fit that of a caravan.

If you turn up with the wrong type of trailer (or car) the test will be cancelled and fee forfeited. You need to check directly with the test centre. You are best advised to go with a properly authorised instructor.

Edited by Legal Eagle

No you can’t use a caravan because there has to be a “load” in the trailer of at least 600kg. Far too much for a caravan. 

I did my B+E two years ago and it is very much tailored to the commercial world. I was a competent tower before the test too, but there is no way I would have passed first time without the day’s professional tuition I had beforehand. You need somebody to teach you how to pass the test, not how to tow. 

After towing a 7M+ caravan the trailer they supplied for the test was so small it was just like not towing really. Agreed that you need a few hours with the instructor first to learn how to pass the test. There’s loads of instant fails if you do things in wrong order etc. 

It makes no sense to take the test with something you will not be towing but that is the rule.  If you use a training school then they will supply the trailer for the test.

Friend of mine’s wife done her B+E recently, so they could share the driving.

She had two lessons before the test and said she was glad she did , as the instructor showed her how to pass the test with tips that even her husband said were things that you wouldn’t naturally think about.

Duncan

Tests aren't just an assessment of your driving ability but also things like hitching & unhitching safely, checking lights etc... 

I'm sure there are plenty of youtube videos to assist you if you go it alone but you'd also need a suitable trailer for the test that can carry 600kg 

• Gordon changed the title to Can you do B+E test with your own caravan? Also test tips
17 hours ago, handyandy said:

I did my B+E two years ago and it is very much tailored to the commercial world.

You need somebody to teach you how to pass the test, not how to tow. 

:goodpost:

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

absolutely agree. that post was spot on handyandy. you have made me realise that it is about passing a test not how good anyone is at driving.  We will wait and do it properly.... frustraaaaaating.

thanks for help as ever.

5 hours ago, Gordon said:

:goodpost:

I have worked for two training companies and while at a test centre this chap turned up with his car and caravan which had seen better days, The examiner then looked inside for the ballast and checked for road worthiness and was not impressed. Then sent him on his way. But the best laugh was he came on his own.

I do remember a taxi driver wanting to do his B+E and he didn't pass, And was not impressed with the examiners reasons. Speeding and one hand on the wheel, And this chap was going on to take you to the airport.

So it is very important that you remember when you took your driving test that the same applies. Both hands on the wheel, moving your head , handbrake when necessary. How you were taught but with the confidence you now have, The trailer will follow but that doesn't mean you forget about it Mirrors! forward planning when there's a obstruction don't leave it until the last minute .

There's a set procedure for uncoupling and re- coupling, You need show that your in full control of what your doing  that's all. Some things seem pointless but unchecked that's when you have problems down the road.

Sorry if this sounds patronising, But people do fail on some thing silly, when you know they are more than capable.

I would recommend Peter smythe have own test centre, If you register on Trucknet you get a discount. I am sure there are many others but this was the company I worked for.

Good luck

David 

The B+E test can be done with a B set up

Example

Vehicle with mirrors for examiner

GVW 2100

Max tow 1500

Box Trailer

Empty 500

MAM 1400

600kg load

Turn up at test centre alone - fit L plates - do test - remove L plates - drive away alone whether pass or fail

Caravan is very wide for parking it in the cone section. I really wouldn't bother.