Swift sink waste pipe

I know this is an old chestnut but with no SwiftTalk to search I can only find problems on here not the solution. 

We finally had the old problem with the sink waste separating at the elbow in the far corner. What is the best permanent solution?

- glue/cement? If so what type?

- clamp? I don’t see how that would help on rigid pipe

- gaffer tape?

- extra bracket(s)? If so where?

Thanks in advance 

A Swift cutlery drawer isn’t deemed finished until it’s been full of dirty dishwater!

Only happened to me once but that was enough. I use Evo-Stick outdoor sealant/adhesive. I dismantle the pipes and put a smear on before reassembling followed by a wrap of Gaffer tape round the joint. It’s fiddly trying to get your hands in while still being able to see it but I have done this on the last three caravans and the pipes have stayed in place. Up to now....

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

Swift advise the best solution to prevent this occurring again would be to use a plastic cement product to permanently connect the components together.

Cheers, Martin

As both pipes will be ABS or uPVC material any modern plastic waste solvent weld glue should do the job:

e.g. https://www.diy.com/departments/evo-stik-pvc-pipe-weld-50ml/36242_BQ.prd 

Don't get a big bottle/tube as it goes off after a time.

You also need to be fairly quick to (re)assemble the parts.  If it ever needs to come apart it'll be a cutter/hacksaw job, though!

On our current caravan (2018 Quattro EB) I removed the cutlery drawer and everything below it.  At that point I could see the pipework and touch the pipework, but not both at the same time........  Reassembling after applying sealant was a rather messy hit & miss affair.  Similarly trying to wrap Gaffer tape round it once the adhesive had dried (as a belt & braces approach) was like trying to tie your shoelaces while blindfolded with one hand.  I say one hand as due to the awkward position I was using my other hand to steady myself.  I learned some new words that day.

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

Thanks all. I’ve ordered the glue and am stretching my arms in readiness!

I was initially dissatisfied that I’d pitched the caravan so that the shower didn’t drain. If I had, the sink water would have accumulated under the cupboards and I may not have noticed for ages. Now hoping for a permanent fix.....

This does happen if you put hot water down the sink, as it expands the joint. 

The water ran under the cooker, and there are a few  wire connections under there.

Extra P clips fixed mine in place.

It's not just a Swift issue, our Elddis Avante did it on our second trip in it and our friends Elddis did it on his third trip. As others have said we glued ours with pipe weld solvent.

Posted (edited)

Happened to me yesterday, the pipe became separated from the elbow connector, with dirty water pouring onto the floor.

Mine was a case of the pipe not being long enough, I could get it back in but only a couple of mm, so I need a lodge pipe..

IMG_1280.thumb.JPG.0f87f81df0ed9bfb7fffc5e11ea82558.JPG

Also, there was no rubber sleeve to help join the solid pipe to the convoluted pipe that goes through the caravan floor..

IMG_1288.thumb.JPG.ab5a354b1934e9b68430f351bde638f2.JPG

I can't be bothered to take the van back to the dealer, and wouldn't trust them to do as good a job as I can do, so I've removed the whole section of pipework, I'm going to replace the vertical pipe with a longer piece, dry fit it all back together so I know it's right, then remove, mark each connection, and reassemble by glueing them all together...

IMG_1291.thumb.JPG.b0bab27e8e08d380a911581dc2940cdc.JPG

Edited by JCCD