Truma Aventa Compact air conditioning unit - effectiveness

Hi.

Does anyone on CT have a Truma Aventa Compact (cooling only) air conditioner fitted to their caravan as we are thinking of getting one installed.

If so, how have you found its effectiveness at cooling and sound levels, we would not have it running overnight.

We had a Dometic B1500S fitted to our previous 2008 caravan as standard which was very effective with acceptable sound levels but now where we have enquired, the Truma unit seems to be recommended.

Weight implications are understood.

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front - Discovery 4. Wheels at the back - Bessacarr 845.

1 hour ago, Griff said:

Hi.

Does anyone on CT have a Truma Aventa Compact (cooling only) air conditioner fitted to their caravan as we are thinking of getting one installed.

If so, how have you found its effectiveness at cooling and sound levels, we would not have it running overnight.

We had a Dometic B1500S fitted to our previous 2008 caravan as standard which was very effective with acceptable sound levels but now where we have enquired, the Truma unit seems to be recommended.

Weight implications are understood.

Hi Griff

I had that very unit fitted to my caravan last October. It was a replacement under warranty after the previous ‘compact’ became too noisy. I haven’t had the opportunity to try it out in earnest due to Covid and weather. It’s slightly lighter and more compact footprint than the previous version.

There is no doubt it is quieter than our other model but that one was also quiet at the outset.. So it’s a matter of time to see if this develops the similar resonating noise, that made it unacceptable to us (and Truma).

The noise level is too fold....the compressor and the fans.  Obviously having the fans on full make a noise level that’s intrusive but the lowest setting is quiet enough to be almost unnoticeable....until the compressor is required to kick in. The compressor has a ‘rumbling’ start up that I think might wake the wife if we had it on at night. 

Having the fan on slowest setting obviously reduces coolth distribution and the ‘feel’ of cooling but being able to direct  the airflow to the front of the caravan or rear (or both)  and baffle it to each side independently means we can share the cool quiet air as we each prefer it.

If you happen near West Norfolk before you buy, you are welcome to listen to our model in action.

Edited by ericfield

Yep same model here.  Been in use a few times and very impressed BUT we have not had aircon in van before so no comparison available but agree with Eric's positive points.  Just one very minor irritation in that the remote on mine really has to be pointing to the receiver but I am now used to that once turned on a few times without turning on!!

1 hour ago, SamD said:

Yep same model here.  Been in use a few times and very impressed BUT we have not had aircon in van before so no comparison available but agree with Eric's positive points.  Just one very minor irritation in that the remote on mine really has to be pointing to the receiver but I am now used to that once turned on a few times without turning on!!

How could I have forgotten THAT remote? Spawn of the devil!

I can never go seamlessly from one mode to another without making a mistake.

I also forgot to say that during last years hot spell (before the replacement of the Truma), I pulled the caravan out of the garage for ‘senior management’ to sit in the aircon ‘garden room’,  as she suffers with the heat. It held an internal temperature of 24deg (all windows  shut and blinds on sunny side down) with an outside temp of 32deg. So it worked almost as well as the Truma claimed 10deg drop.  Just hope this new one is as good at cooling as the last one ....as well as being quieter.

Footnote: The only downside to acquiring  caravan aircon is senior management made a compelling argument for fitting units in the lounge and bedroom of our house as well.  I grudgingly have to agree they are a great benefit as they heat as well..perfect for autumnal night when you don’t want the central heating on but need some warmth where you are sitting. Unfortunately, she who must remain nameless,  has discovered sitting on the foot of the bed with the aircon unit on 24deg and max airflow is a perfect gentle hair drier. 😳

Edited by ericfield

Thanks chaps and for your offer ericfield, you are quite some distance from where I am.

There appear to be two models, the Compact @ 1700 W and the Compact Plus @ 2200 W, which models do you both have?

Hi 

just had the compact Plus fitted to my van 

Compact is up to 7 mts and compact plus is for above 7 mts 

Mine is a twin axle Swift 

the cost difference was well under a hundred quid so it seemed daft fitting the smaller unit and it having to work its backside off when the bigger unit would cope much easier  

I think the compact was £1325 and the plus was £1385 from memory plus fitting. 

1 hour ago, Griff said:

Thanks chaps and for your offer ericfield, you are quite some distance from where I am.

There appear to be two models, the Compact @ 1700 W and the Compact Plus @ 2200 W, which models do you both have?

We have the 1700w. It was quite a bit cheaper and lighter than the plus model when we had it installed in 2017.
I reasoned that I didn’t need aircon in the end washroom...reducing the active area to below 7m. And on my single axle the weight saving was more advantageous. 

Maybe I would have achieved the 10deg drop if I had gone with the larger unit?

Edited by ericfield

FWIW, we had the Aventa Comfort fitted in February 2020. Never really tried it in earnest until May 2020 and noticed that when running, it hummed/drummed on all three fan speeds. This was only noticeable when inside, just normal humming outside. Also popping and creaking sounds for about 30 seconds after the compressor switched off.

Reported all the above to our dealer in June 2020 and bearing in mind it was Truma who fitted it at the dealers, the dealer said he'd let Truma know.

Fast forward to today and post lockdown, the dealer wants the 'van back for Truma to look at it as Truma won't come to a site as they apparently aren't insured for this. Problem is we're on a seasonal pitch and now don't hav a suitable tow car. Dealer did say in 2020 that Truma WOULD come out but this has never materialised.

If we were having a unit fitted again, we'd use an independent mobile fitter such as Rhino Installs (there ae others out there) as if there's a warranty issue, they'll come back to you. And it would probably be a Dometic unit at that!

Still talking to Truma via dealer and hopefully all will be sorted (whenever lol).

I have the Compact (didn't need the heating element or extra weight of the Comfort). Cooling is plenty good enough and cooling power consumption only 2.8amp compared to 4.4amp which could be significant if only 6 amp available.

Life is not a rehearsal . . .:)

Porsche Cayenne S Diesel & Knaus StarClass 695. Previously Audi S4 Avant & Elddis Super Sirocco

19 minutes ago, KnausCol said:

I have the Compact (didn't need the heating element or extra weight of the Comfort). Cooling is plenty good enough and cooling power consumption only 2.8amp compared to 4.4amp which could be significant if only 6 amp available.

:goodpost:

Looks like a goer then :Thankyou: all.

My main concern from the outset has been the circa 30kg flexing the GRP roof up and down whilst travelling, last thing I would want is it cracking up. :unsure:

After dealer checking my model with Swift, it's a blinged up Elegance Grande, they say it's OK strengthwise.

2 hours ago, Griff said:

Looks like a goer then :Thankyou: all.

My main concern from the outset has been the circa 30kg flexing the GRP roof up and down whilst travelling, last thing I would want is it cracking up. :unsure:

After dealer checking my model with Swift, it's a blinged up Elegance Grande, they say it's OK strengthwise.

It's no problem on my 845 but you do lose the centre extractor.

Edited by SamD

Am I correct in assuming that power cabling is taken through the roof space and not seen except for maybe inside say a cupboard?

Wouldn't want to see any trunking on the ceiling. ;)

None visible on mine and nothing extra inside a cupboard.

• 1 month later...

All done now, dealer tells me that power cable was already in situ during build by Swift, did wonder about that

Just need to run it next week and try it.