Being pulled while towing

Loky

Hi guys, new here and new to caravaning, a question to some that might know, i can't seem to find an answer anywhere, if you get pulled while towing your van and get put on a weight bridge, do they look at the weight of car and van as it is then or do they look at what your max combined weight would be, reason I ask is, I could be about 85kg over the 3500kg limit, I won't have a fully loaded car or van, I'm going to do my b+e as soon as I can (they're back logged at the moment).

Thank you, and please be kind to me lol.

For that sort of offence, a weighbridge isn't necessary, as the figures can be had from manufacturers plates on car and van.

It won't matter about the actual weights.

I would suggest that being pulled for that would be at the few Ministry sites next to major routes where they do random checks. Otherwise, to be stopped for that would be as a result of some other behaviour as well (speeding, 3rd lane motorway etc).

And, there's no "could be" 85kgs over....you either are or aren't.

As above, for licence offences they go by the weights stated on the vehicle plates, not actual laden weights. If yours add up to 3585kgs then unfortunately you are not legal with a B category licence.

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

As said, for licence purposes it's not the actual weights that apply, but the plated maximum weights of both vehicles. So, if your car and van maximums add up to 3585kg then your licence doesn't allow you to drive.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

You may also not be insured if you do not have a licence to drive the outfit or if the caravan weight exceeds the cars weight. You must check before taking the outfit on the road.

Thanks guys, abit of clarification for me, think I'll have to wait till I get my b+e.

I've been stopped once, well given the follow me lights in the rear window of a V.O.S.A . (or whatever they're called this week) car. Was taken to the weighbridge at Ainley Top near J24 M62. I was returning home after a 'van service so all was well within limits. :)

11 minutes ago, Flat_at said:

I've been stopped once, well given the follow me lights in the rear window of a V.O.S.A . (or whatever they're called this week) car. Was taken to the weighbridge at Ainley Top near J24 M62. I was returning home after a 'van service so all was well within limits. :)

I'm super cautios about being pulled while towing, never been pulled before in 13years of driving (touch wood) just don't want everything to be pounded and fined and points.

2 minutes ago, Loky said:

I'm super cautios about being pulled while towing, never been pulled before in 13years of driving (touch wood) just don't want everything to be pounded and fined and points.

You've never lived :D.When I was 16 I had a motorbike. I was stopped 6 times in a couple of days, I took all 6 "producer slips" at once into our local police station with all my documents. The desk sergeant wasn't a happy man, it took half an hour to fill in the paperwork. :D

1 minute ago, Flat_at said:

You've never lived :D.When I was 16 I had a motorbike. I was stopped 6 times in a couple of days, I took all 6 "producer slips" at once into our local police station with all my documents. The desk sergeant wasn't a happy man, it took half an hour to fill in the paperwork. :D

Hahah bet he wasn't, I just can't be doing with the hassle and headache, just want to go and enjoy a weekend with the family.

As do we all, I wish you the best of luck with your endeavours. :)

5 hours ago, Flat_at said:

Just a query - so don't make assumptions.

Do VOSA traffic officers have the power to request you to follow them?  I have always believed it had to be a police officer who directed you towards a VOSA test station?

Because of their limited powers wasn't there some recent Talk about making them "specials".

There vehicles look similar to police vehicles but with black not blue chequers.

If not police then no blue lights?

Just thinking out loud :)

10 hours ago, Loky said:

Hi guys, new here and new to caravaning, a question to some that might know, i can't seem to find an answer anywhere, if you get pulled while towing your van and get put on a weight bridge, do they look at the weight of car and van as it is then or do they look at what your max combined weight would be, reason I ask is, I could be about 85kg over the 3500kg limit, I won't have a fully loaded car or van, I'm going to do my b+e as soon as I can (they're back logged at the moment).

Thank you, and please be kind to me lol.

In the circumstances you describe you will be deemed to be driving otherwise than in accordance with a licence entitling you to drive a vehicle of that class.

In the absence of any other aggravating circumstances you would be dealt with by fixed penalty notice.

Your insurance will be invalid. The small print will state ‘provided the person holds or has held a licence entitling them to drive a vehicle of that class.’

Again normally dealt with by fixed penalty.

You will not be allowed to continue your journey and the outfit would be seized. You will be responsible for the recovery costs and daily storage charges.

You are now over £500 worse off and will have 6 points on your licence.

When you come to reinsure your car most companies won’t touch you with an IN10 on your licence. Those that do will charge an astronomical amount .

What began as a nice weekend away could end up costing you dearly.

I would suggest you hold off until you can get your B+E or change to a lighter outfit.

1 hour ago, CliveB said:

Just a query - so don't make assumptions.

Do VOSA traffic officers have the power to request you to follow them?  I have always believed it had to be a police officer who directed you towards a VOSA test station?

Because of their limited powers wasn't there some recent Talk about making them "specials".

There vehicles look similar to police vehicles but with black not blue chequers.

If not police then no blue lights?

Just thinking out loud :)

It used to be the case that VOSA, now called DVSA needed a police presence to do the stopping but it changed some years ago.

They now have the power to stop or direct you to a check point themselves.

5 minutes ago, Blackrat 51 said:

In the circumstances you describe you will be deemed to be driving otherwise than in accordance with a licence entitling you to drive a vehicle of that class.

In the absence of any other aggravating circumstances you would be dealt with by fixed penalty notice.

Your insurance will be invalid. The small print will state ‘provided the person holds or has held a licence entitling them to drive a vehicle of that class.’

Again normally dealt with by fixed penalty.

You will not be allowed to continue your journey and the outfit would be seized. You will be responsible for the recovery costs and daily storage charges.

You are now over £500 worse off and will have 6 points on your licence.

When you come to reinsure your car most companies won’t touch you with an IN10 on your licence. Those that do will charge an astronomical amount .

What began as a nice weekend away could end up costing you dearly.

I would suggest you hold off until you can get your B+E or change to a lighter outfit.

Thanks for that, the van is very light weight as it is, mtpl of 1220, its the car that weighs alot unfortunately 😐

10 hours ago, Flat_at said:

I found it easier to give someone elses name and address, preferably someone i didn't like :lol:

If this question is about your licence limiting you to 3,500 kg them you cannot drive a combination where the maximum weight of the car and caravan exceeds this. In that case it is the total of the plated weight that counts, but if you have the B+E licence then they look at the actual weights.

If your licence is B only and the plated weights are 85 kg over 3,500 you cannot drive that combination. 

On 26/04/2021 at 21:57, littlebasher said:

I found it easier to give someone elses name and address, preferably someone i didn't like :lol:

I was dragged up proper though.  :D

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in exactly the same boat mate. It's a farce. If you play around with car and caravan weights and manipulate the gross weight below 3500kg does that mean you're better qualified to tow?? 

24 minutes ago, Jonlog82 said:

I'm in exactly the same boat mate. It's a farce. If you play around with car and caravan weights and manipulate the gross weight below 3500kg does that mean you're better qualified to tow?? 

As frustrating as rules are they are the rules BUT as you rightly say it doesn't make you better at towing ;-)

Posted (edited)

Live near London and we call it getting a tug...my record was three in one day, when driving my modded V8 Viva HB GT

image.png.5d542c5453c7f5527646c4b85cda4858.png

Edited by gtepete

Just a thought.

Is there any chance you could use a different towcar and enjoy your weekend away without worrying?

A tug with a kerbweight of say, 1500kg and a tow limit up to 1220kg would give you ample leeway (1220+1500=2720).   Even a 2000kg tug would be ok with a 1220 mtplm trailer.

Just now, CJ1149 said:

Just a thought.

Is there any chance you could use a different towcar and enjoy your weekend away without worrying?

A tug with a kerbweight of say, 1500kg and a tow limit up to 1220kg would give you ample leeway (1220+1500=2720).   Even a 2000kg tug would be ok with a 1220 mtplm trailer.

It’s down to the gross weight not kerb weight. Having said that there will be a few family sized cars that would fit the bill.

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

• Steven locked this topic