Looking at a new van - Struggling with whether to go from Alde to Blown Air

Hi all

Looking at a new van with a slightly different layout.

I am limited in options to a Bailey, Dealer Swift and Coachman

Coachman is nice but out of what I wanted to pay really. Does have Alde though.

Bailey and Swift both on blown air Trauma.

Now last time I used blown air, was 2004 with the old 'fires' and we would freeze at night.

The Current van with Alde is spot on but again, its the layout issue.

Has anyone else gone from Alde to modern day Blown air? What are your thoughts?

Thanks

We have had both, current caravan Alde heating. pro's & con's. Blow air is fast to heat up, Alde slower! Both do their job, so it is your choice?

We had Alde in a 2016 Swift, first time we’d had it. In 2018 we switched to a Sprite with Truma blown heating. The advantage with Truma is instant heat, the advantage with Alde is a uniform spread of heat throughout. Do I miss the Alde? Not really but if we used the caravan more during the winter then I’d probably prefer Alde.

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

Thanks for the replies.

We are all year round caravaners and the winter thing is a slight concern of mine.

Whilst I would always have Alde by choice, I would personally choose layout over nearly everything else. Truma Combi is a good system but on some models (such as large rear bedrooms) heat distribution can be a tad unbalanced, but on most models it’s perfectly adequate. Truma would not stop me buying a model I liked.

Layout layout layout 👍

Cheers, Martin

30 minutes ago, Metheone said:

I am limited in options to a Bailey, Dealer Swift and Coachman

Have you looked at the higher spec Unicorn range. It seems most layouts are common across all the ranges, it’s just specifications that change

16 minutes ago, MartinJB said:

Layout layout layout

But comfort comfort comfort is very high on my list. 

I would struggle to go back to blown air. We had s 2016 Sprite with Truma 6  and now have a 2020 Eccles with alde. The noise, poor hot water performance and dry air from the blown air is not something we miss.  

The downside of Alde is that the boiler prioritises water over heating so if you arrive on site and select both the caravan won’t warm up until the water is up to temperature. It took me 18 months to realise that!

I have Truma combi System. It’s vastly superior to the “old” system of separate space heater and water heater.  To be fair we have a rear bedroom and, as has been said, that doesn’t get as warm as the lounge. Having said that we don’t like a warm bedroom, so it’s suits us, others like to have a bedroom like a sauna! 

On just electric the caravan does warm up very quickly. Would I buy another caravan with blown heating? Most certainly, others insist that their heating has to be Alde :rolleyes:

I would put layout above anything else. The best heating in the world won’t compensate for a layout that doesn’t “work” for you.  

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

It wouldn’t bother me if our next caravan had the Truma Combi blown air heating.  Was really happy with it in our 2013 Coachman. Our 2017 has Alde, which is nice, but it’s not essential. As others have said, the Truma Combi is far superior to the blown air system that came with the fire. You can also time it to come on and off, just like you can with the Alde. Go for the layout you feel would suit you best, not the heating system.

If you compare 2 vans on a similar layout, vans with Alde are generally heavier & more expensive so if your tight on weight or £££'s then that could be the decision made for you.

1 minute ago, Flinty said:

If you compare 2 vans on a similar layout, vans with Alde are generally heavier & more expensive so if your tight on weight or £££'s then that could be the decision made for you.

Yep. We went from a single axle Swift 580 with Alde heating @ around 1540kgs to a twin axle Sprite with Truma heating @ 1624kgs.

I have  a Bailey and the pipes for the truma are all inside the van now, I can't say what the other makes do with  the pipes

Just now, joanie said:

I have  a Bailey and the pipes for the truma are all inside the van now, I can't say what the other makes do with  the pipes

It depends on the layout. Those with an end bedroom and central bathroom often have the ducting running under the bathroom floor. I insulated the one on our Swift but the other issue is the shear length of pipe run up to the bedroom. Careful balancing of the butterfly valves helps but the bedroom is always colder than the rest.

Posted (edited)

Thanks all, 

Of my local dealer, and I want to stay local for ease of warranty. They only have 3 vans that suit me as said, and the differential in terms of spec between Bailey/Swift and Coachman is solely Alde yet £4,000 more.

Weight doesn't matter as got 3.5ton limit there.

Appreciate there may be uplifts in build quality etc.

We are looking for front lounge, side dinette, fixed bed and separate shower so quite a unique layout.

Thanks for the feedback so far, spending the evening on the search :)

Edited by Metheone
1 hour ago, GaryB1969 said:

The downside of Alde is that the boiler prioritises water over heating so if you arrive on site and select both the caravan won’t warm up until the water is up to temperature. It took me 18 months to realise that!

I would dispute that. On the Alde 3020 in our Unicorn4 Seville the control display allows you to turn off the water heating AFAICT. If the heating pump runs due to thermostat demand the radiators get warm quite quickly after switch-on.

2 hours ago, GaryB1969 said:

That's only the case if you select the BOOST setting for hot water otherwise they work in tandem (at least that's how mine works)

My van has the Truma Combi blown air but also electric underfloor heating. The underfloor is not very powerful but it's surprising how much it contributes to increasing the baseline temperature. The blown air is then very quick to boost as required. Initially I wondered whether not going for the optional Alde was a mistake as its seems to be in vogue and so many people  like it. But I have to say I like the flexibility and response of what we have and don't regret my decision. It is also obviously a simpler system with less potential maintenance issues.

Life is not a rehearsal . . .:)

Porsche Cayenne S Diesel & Knaus StarClass 695. Previously Audi S4 Avant & Elddis Super Sirocco

52 minutes ago, Woodentop said:

I would dispute that. On the Alde 3020 in our Unicorn4 Seville the control display allows you to turn off the water heating AFAICT. If the heating pump runs due to thermostat demand the radiators get warm quite quickly after switch-on.

I have actually run my heating up to temp without water in the boiler before.Time was around 45 mins to get up to temperature.

More than happy with our blown air in our Phoenix. Once you learn how to manage it you will have no problems.

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

27 minutes ago, PR1 said:

More than happy with our blown air in our Phoenix. Once you learn how to manage it you will have no problems.

:Plus1:

12 hours ago, GaryB1969 said:

I just turn off the water heater while the caravan heats up. If it is really cold we use both gas and electric to get it up to temperature and then turn the gas off.

18 minutes ago, LongTimeCaravaner said:

I just turn off the water heater while the caravan heats up. If it is really cold we use both gas and electric to get it up to temperature and then turn the gas off.

I think the real problem I had with the Alde heating was that I didn’t know how to use it properly!

New blown air is great-we had no issues in our Pegasus and like the heat in our Alde equipped van too-would it be  a deal breaker for us-no and we are all year vanners -the fan noise of the Truma is  only if it's working hard-you can turn it right down to tickover at night and it's nearly as quiet as the Alde-there's no fluid to worry about and hence leaks or top ups or changes  or weight.  However it is very even. The blown is fast to heat up-and if an area is too cool you can alter the flaps too. We'd now miss the heated towel rail and underfloor heat but you can have electric versions if you want!

7 minutes ago, GaryB1969 said:

I think the real problem I had with the Alde heating was that I didn’t know how to use it properly!

Too many thinks these days are, to my view, overcomplicated just because they can be, and caravans are no exception. 

Take the fridges. They used to be pretty simple devices fitted with and on/off switch. A switch for selecting 230v, 12v or gas along with a thermostat, all of which were mechanical devices. They are now all reliant on complex PCB’s which, if (when?) the go wrong cost an arm and a leg. 

Heating, well that was pretty much the same, but now it too is controlled electronically and the operation of it is far more complex with yet more (expensive) components to go wrong. And as for the ability to control your caravans heating, remotely, by an app on your phone well that’s just madness and totally unnecessary. Yes you can put the heating on before you return but is that really necessary?? My caravan warms up from pretty chilly to toasty in about 5 minutes without yet another “thing” to go wrong and cost a fortune to repair.

Luddite, Luddite??  stand up at the back the boy who said that!