Jump to content

Swift corner steady alignment / recall


Recommended Posts

I've added the word "Recall" to the title because the symptoms are similar to the big bulkhead recall but the van year is not the one subject to the recall nor does the manufacturing look akin to the ones recalled.

 

Anyhow, first time out in the Sterling Eccles this year and we noticed the front nearside corner steady was mis-aligned. It is sitting low in the receptor hole. 

This is one of the Swift recall things to look out for but this van is a 2015 and the bulkhead doesn't appear to be held together with the corner brackets and screws which was the subject of the recall.

There is also a small alignment problem in the front locker. I have removed a plastic trim from the vertical corner and there are no screws to be missing.

Am concerned that maybe there is some detachment of the side walls from the floor but all looks ok but none of the fixings are visible.

Anyone had similar issues with a van of this age and is it a warranty item? Van has been owned from new and serviced always on time.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Two pictures attached. Don't be put off by the black lines on the locker inside because they are sticky tape but if you look carefully you can see the alignment issue. Also winding down the corner steadies has improved the nut alignment by about half. You can see some damage to the plastic trim where the nut has caught it during towing.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Have  a look at my last post HERE

 

I would say that yours falls under "some sort of recall" but can't say Swift will say the same

 

 

Edited by Harrib0
dyslexia
Link to post
Share on other sites

I am familiar with the failure having spent a long time arguing with my dealer who wasn't so familiar with it (even though they repaired dozens of them) to get it fixed. The failure can affect both sides and the rapair has to be done to both sides.

The panel you see behind the trim is merely a cover panel (it's a piece of body side panel with the white side visible, and it's there to conceal the inside of the body side panel and front molding.  You may observe that the cover panel also conceals the gas connection at the back of the BBQ point). Behind the cover panel is the vertical aluminium angle which connects the bulkhead to the side panel. It's difficult to remove the cover panel without damaging it as it's bonded in. You can inspect the connection by getting under the caravan with a torch and looking up through the triangular hole cut out in the corners of the locker floor - you will see the screw heads or perhaps the empty holes where the screws have fallen out. This is the vertical body joint between front bulkhead and side panel.

Also, the horizontal joint between the side panel and floor may be failing, and this is often noticed when the corner steady shaft is out of line with the hole in the valance. A simple check is to wind the corner steady up and down whilst watching the connection between the main floor panel and the side wall, and if it moves then it has failed.  The repair procedure written by Swift Group describes the work and parts needed. It's a poorly written document so difficult to follow. If you need more information please ask.

Edited by Ern
typos
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, P101 said:

Now I'll try again to add pictures...

IMG_20210421_141759.jpg


On the original issue wasn’t the floor moving upwards in relation to the body (when the body to floor fixings failed the body started to drop in relation to the floor)? The photo looks like the floor has actually dropped in relation to the body. Needs looking at for sure but I honestly thought the original failure mode had an opposite effect in relation to alignment?

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Ern said:

I am familiar with the failure having spent a long time arguing with my dealer who wasn't so familiar with it (even though they repaired dozens of them) to get it fixed. The failure can affect both sides and the rapair has to be done to both sides.

The panel you see behind the trim is merely a cover panel (it's a piece of body side panel with the white side visible, and it's there to conceal the inside of the body side panel and front molding.  You may observe that the cover panel also conceals the gas connection at the back of the BBQ point). Behind the cover panel is the vertical aluminium angle which connects the bulkhead to the side panel. It's difficult to remove the cover panel without damaging it as it's bonded in. You can inspect the connection by getting under the caravan with a torch and looking up through the triangular hole cut out in the corners of the locker floor - you will see the screw heads or perhaps the empty holes where the screws have fallen out. This is the vertical body joint between front bulkhead and side panel.

Also, the horizontal joint between the side panel and floor may be failing, and this is often noticed when the corner steady shaft is out of line with the hole in the valance. A simple check is to wind the corner steady up and down whilst watching the connection between the main floor panel and the side wall, and if it moves then it has failed.  The repair procedure written by Swift Group describes the work and parts needed. It's a poorly written document so difficult to follow. If you need more information please ask.

Hi Ern, 

 

Thank you for the detailed reply. That all makes sense.

 

Is this considered the same issue as the recall where the angle was visible? 

 

Can you share a link to the repair procedure or is it the same one as the recall, except for the white cover...

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I too posted on Sunday 19th April about a 2015 Swift Challenger 530SE see my post copied in this reply.  There is movement in the front gas locker, some black foam type block underneath the caravan where the bulkhead meets the floor has broken away and screws fixing into nothing.  You can see inside near the front shelf how the sidewall is moving away front the front panel.

 

Our caravan was purchased from new and serviced annually as required.  I have emailed Swift directly with photos and also sent the same information to our dealer Swindon Caravans who have also now raised it with Swift on Monday.  Now waiting for a response.

 

Edited by thensum
Link to post
Share on other sites

We  had the issue on a 2016 Swift before the recall even happened for later vans. It was fixed directly by them (not the dealer), which I would recommend as they sort out other niggly problems at the same time

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, P101 said:

Hi Ern, 

 

Thank you for the detailed reply. That all makes sense.

 

Is this considered the same issue as the recall where the angle was visible? 

 

Can you share a link to the repair procedure or is it the same one as the recall, except for the white cover...

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Yes it's the same issue. 

Gary makes a good point above, the photo of yours shows the steady winder hexagon to be low in the hole. That's not typical as the floor and winder usually go up when the failure occurs. Also I noticed that your valance panel is split below the winder hole - possible associated damage. That is slightly mysterious to me.

Our caravan came out of the factory end of Feb 2016 with the self-adhesive flexible ceiling trims like yours, but they had already started to fall off and the dealer replaced them with some aluminium angles. Many caravans were produced with aluminium angles fastening the cover panel and this is what the dealer replicated on ours.   I am certain that some caravans have been inspected by owners and even dealers who are unaware that they are not looking at the right aluminium angle which are hidden behind the cover panel. Our dealer was adamant that our caravan was ok until I proved to him that he was wrong, and he eventually did the repair. The crazy part is that despite all this, their workshop actually fastened the new aluminium angles to the cover panels, as they had still not been properly instructed. They told me they had done many repairs the same! After further argument ours was eventually done properly.

Edited by Ern
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Ern said:

Yes it's the same issue. 

Our caravan came out of the factory end of Feb 2016 with the self-adhesive flexible ceiling trims like yours, but they had already started to fall off and the dealer replaced them with some aluminium angles. Many caravans were produced with the aluminium angles fastening the cover panel and this is what the dealer replicated on ours.   I am certain that some caravans have been inspected by owners and even dealers who are unaware that they are not looking at the right aluminium angle which are hidden behind the cover panel. Our dealer was adamant that our caravan was ok until I proved to him that he was wrong, and he eventually did the repair. The crazy part is that despite all this, their workshop actually fastened the new aluminium angles to the cover panels, as they had still not been properly instructed. They told me they had done many repairs the same! After further argument ours was eventually done properly.

 

that's rather worrying.

 

I think our caravans may have been alongside each other in the factory, we also have a Feb 16 model.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Scarab said:

 

that's rather worrying.

 

I think our caravans may have been alongside each other in the factory, we also have a Feb 16 model.

As you have not completed your profile I don't know what caravan model you have. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/04/2021 at 07:04, thensum said:

I too posted on Sunday 19th April about a 2015 Swift Challenger 530SE see my post copied in this reply.  There is movement in the front gas locker, some black foam type block underneath the caravan where the bulkhead meets the floor has broken away and screws fixing into nothing.  You can see inside near the front shelf how the sidewall is moving away front the front panel.

 

Our caravan was purchased from new and serviced annually as required.  I have emailed Swift directly with photos and also sent the same information to our dealer Swindon Caravans who have also now raised it with Swift on Monday.  Now waiting for a response.

 

Let us know the outcome from Swindon Caravans. They are our supplying dealer too and last year replaced the rear panel on our van.

I've had no complaints with them so far and we'll see what happens when they look at this.

All the information here and elsewhere has been very useful. Will take a closer look over the coming days.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Ern said:

As you have not completed your profile I don't know what caravan model you have. 

Anecdotally this issue seems to have affected many caravans not within the recall group...

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, P101 said:

Anecdotally this issue seems to have affected many caravans not within the recall group...

Our dealer's workshop foreman told me that they (the dealer) had repaired a vast number of them, and many of them not included in the scope of the recall.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ern said:

Our dealer's workshop foreman told me that they (the dealer) had repaired a vast number of them, and many of them not included in the scope of the recall.

Quite. Reading between the lines, the recall targeted 2017 models, which appear to share exactly the same design as other years but someone used or specified the wrong screws which made them prone to a more rapid failure.

Am on day 3 of 117 days away before the end of September. I think we'll be lucky to get beyond day 10!!!!

Hey ho, such is life.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, P101 said:

Quite. Reading between the lines, the recall targeted 2017 models, which appear to share exactly the same design as other years but someone used or specified the wrong screws which made them prone to a more rapid failure.

Am on day 3 of 117 days away before the end of September. I think we'll be lucky to get beyond day 10!!!!

Hey ho, such is life.

There was a bit more to it than that. The bonded construction should be very stiff and very strong, but ours was not bonded. I pushed  a piece of card through the joint between the floor and side wall.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...