XC60s are they reliable?

Could owners of current shape Volvo XC60s, specifically with the D4 or B4 (D) diesels, let me know if they have been reliable please?

There have been a few report of unreliability of the XC90. I am considering an XC60 which has similar underpinnings and the reliability is a concern. 

I have a 2019 D4 r-line. Absolutely no issues so far, although due to C only done 17k miles 

Very nice car to drive, tows 1500kg van  with ease. Get around 29 MPG towing, and high 30 / low 40 solo

Try the Volvo OC forum. 

18 minutes ago, Flatcoat888 said:

Try the Volvo OC forum. 

Yep, a very useful place. I have a 2018 V90 D4 and have been very happy with it.

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

My brither has a year old XC60 diesel, tows fine but lots of problems. His previous V50 diesel was faultless. My V60 will be my first and last Volvo, constant faults and Volvo UK not interested.  

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, Flatcoat888 said:

My brither has a year old XC60 diesel, tows fine but lots of problems. His previous V50 diesel was faultless. My V60 will be my first and last Volvo, constant faults and Volvo UK not interested.  

Thanks to all for your comments. What sort of faults are you and your brother getting Flatcoat888?

Edited by handyandy

Had my XC60 D5 for over two years only 14000 miles but so far only a minor defect with the windscreen washers which took 2mins at the dealer to fix. Tows with ease , comfortable, well built, engine can be slightly noisy when pushed hard , the XC90 does seem to have had more issues. The rear view camera and even better the 360* camera system is one of the best extra`s to have.

2018 XC90 D5. Only 15k miles but no issues at all. There were many software issues when XC90 first came out in 2015 but were generally sorted by 2017 when updated XC60 arrived.

Tows our 2000kg Caravan v easily.

Smart, comfortable and well built.

Powrtouch AWD Movers. E & P Compact Levelling System.

Electrical mostly and false random warning messages. Mine randomly will not start, needed a new battery (only part cured fault), software fixes, random alarm or charging problems and new aircon compressor. My brothers also needed a new battery and has paint defects he is battling to get sorted (needs respray of bumpers/lower panels). Poor initial dealer response in both cases too, mine only got some traction after i reported the faults and dealer to the finance company and threatened to return the car under Consumer legislation. Volvo Uk not interested and just passed me back to the dealer, simply not good enough for an aspiring premium brand. It is a shame given the car tows superbly, is economical and fast and i love the plug-in hybrid aspect. 

Edited by Flatcoat888

Wow, no wonder you won’t have another! I had a 2016 BMW520D that had plenty of faults so it just proves that an expensive badge doesn’t always equal reliability.

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

We have had 3 Kias and now a Hyundai Santa Fe, great cars and pretty well fault free.

Hyundai in particular an excellent car and service from the dealership.

We did try an XC 60 a few years ago but the salesperson didn't  want to negotiate, so we walked. Very nice car. 

We also tried an XC70 D5 at a different dealer, ex Volvo car .It was very nice fully loaded and really poky,  but we went for a new Hyundai  instead.

We also have a Mini which is 2019, fault free so far and excellent dealer service. Its a small BMW really, in fact the Mini dealer also  have a BMW place adjacent.

Edited by 664DaveS

Hyundai Santa Fe+Bailey Unicorn Cadiz

Mini Cooper convertible -fun Car!:)

All Mini dealers are attached to a Beemer dealer. My brothers wife is in her second Mini Countryman and loves  it, no faults in 8 years. 

I suggest you look at the JD Power reliability surveys.  

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)

On our 2nd XC60, both D4’s, first one 2015 and did just under 100k miles latest is a 2018 currently with 30k miles. Both of them brilliant solo and towing. Biggest fault on the older one was it blew a headlight bulb apart from that both have been great and would certainly have snother

2018 Volvo XC60  D4 AWD + Penshurst Premier Plus (AKA Elddis Affinity 550)

Not XC60 but similar engine.

D3 V60 - 2015 - only problem was the EGR-emissions system. Only failed once after a service and change of EMAP pipe at 5 years old and 58000 miles. This caused the EGR to jam and go into limp mode. The recovery guy gave it a thump and it released it. Replaced by Volvo

There has been concerns that the inlet manifold can catch fire to the sooting up of the engine and sometimes valve leakage. The dealer was very good and the EMAP and EGR were fixed for free. not sure how much the EGR would be but the EMAP pipe was £208 fitted.

They changed to AD blue after this engine was introduced I thinkin 2017 - the D3 was new at the time in 2015.

Would I have another - yes but I cant afford it. Very comfortable and effortless to drive.

Ian, i am sure your engine is the ‘old’ Ford/PSA based unit. The latest Volvo’s use their own diesel engine, unrelated apart from they use diesel fuel. 

I have never heard any criticism of any Volvo in regards to reliability. They never seem to meet the top ten but again never feature at the bottom either. 

Thanks for all the comments. Nothing to bad apart from Flatcoat888, which isn’t good. I hope you and your brother get it sorted. 

It sounds like it is the luck of the draw! I guess we are all used to that - we buy caravans!

23 hours ago, Flatcoat888 said:

Ian, i am sure your engine is the ‘old’ Ford/PSA based unit. The latest Volvo’s use their own diesel engine, unrelated apart from they use diesel fuel. 

I did think it was the same as the D4 Volvo 4 cyl unit introduced in 2015 but derated,  The only clue I have is from the dealer who said the car would come with the new uprated D3 4 Cyl engine but we all know they dont always tell the complete truth.

The reason for this is the EGR valve on my previous Ford Mondeo was on the front of the engine, whereas on the Volvo was to the offside front.

I couldnt complain at the Ford engine in the Mondeo so either would be OK 

Edited by ian16527

I suspect by ‘uprated’ they were only partially correct insofar as it was a new version and EU6 compliant. However it is what it is and the Ford diesels generally seem robust, if not the most smooth or sophisticated of diesel engines. 

2 minutes ago, Flatcoat888 said:

I suspect by ‘uprated’ they were only partially correct insofar as it was a new version and EU6 compliant. However it is what it is and the Ford diesels generally seem robust, if not the most smooth or sophisticated of diesel engines. 

Think it was this one

Annotation 2021-04-23 073210.png

We had a new shape XC60 D4 AWD for two and a half years. It was perfectly reliable insomuch as it never let us down, but did have a couple of recalls and a small engine oil leak fixed under warranty.

I bought my XC60 D4 in April 2018. No issues to date. The best towcar I've had in 35 years of towing, which has included numerous Sierra's, Mondeo's, Cavalier's, Passat's and Volvo V70's and a V60. All were very capable and reasonably reliable.

For me, Volvo seem to be more on the ball than the others in terms of after sales service, upgrades, etc.

Volvo XC60 Momentum Pro D4 pulling an Elddis Crusader Mistral