Can any one help we need to get a new water heater installed and looking a rough estimate, also anyone aware of new regulations regarding these

Is it for static or touring van? 
most touring vans water heaters are repairable, and that’s eye watering cost, replacement is second mortgage territory 

Profile says it is a static

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

1 hour ago, Jogi said:

Can any one help we need to get a new water heater installed and looking a rough estimate, also anyone aware of new regulations regarding these

Welcome Jogi, as per all the posts so far we do need quite a lot more information to have any chance of offering any assistance. We’d all be assuming quite a lot otherwise 👍

Cheers, Martin

Sorry its a static, we have only taken ownership recently, it's a Willerby and we reckon about 25 years old, they way the decking has been done we can't see make and model so have been having some trouble locating this, we bought of people in their 90s who weren't very sure.  The water heater is as old as the van and has cracked over the winter, was minus 17 at some points. 

We have been told it needs to have a room sealed appliance for new regulations coming in and not sure if this is correct 

Thanks 

Take it this is a gas appliance?

Somebody on this forum who knows about gas appliances will be along soon to give a clear and correct answer, but I believe that room sealed means the air drawn in and expelled from the appliance is all via the flu so that the appliance is sealed from the room it is in - safety regulations.

There are also EU regulations brought in a couple of years ago about emissions.

I don't think this is a problem for you, modern appliances will all conform, but for any gas appliance you need to have it installed and commissioned by a Gas-Safe registered installer who is authorised to work on caravans.

If your van is on a Park, then the Park operator may have a list of approved installers, or you can try the Gas-Safe register to find somebody local to take a look and advise/quote.

https://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/

Yes sorry gas,  I've had a quote from my brother who is a gas engineer, he's insisting I need a sealed unit which is priced at over £600 without the labour, I've seen about the emissions regulations but can't find anything telling me it has to be sealed unit.  Thanks for your help

You need a sealed unit to avoid the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning which might not take long in the confines of a static caravan with little ventilation. I would imagine and hope a lpg (propane) gas safe registered fitter would refuse to fit a unit that is not sealed. The gas boilers in the statics we have used and the ones in our house have always been sealed with the air supply coming in from the outside and the exhaust going back out the same way which also warms the air supply and cuts running costs. As an aside, make sure there are carbon monoxide and smoke alarms in your static.

Edited by Paul1957

Does the old boiler provide heat and hot water, a combi boiler, or does it just provide hot water and the heating for the van is by gas fires, as older statics used to be, are there any radiators ?

All modern gas boilers will be room sealed, combi, or hot water or heating only.

I doubt you will be able to get a non room sealed even if you wanted one.

Simply all room sealed means is that the combustion process is done inside a chamber where air for combustion comes from outside the building and the flue gasses are expelled outside, thereby preventing combustion products entering the building with no danger of you waking up dead. 😱😉

£600 is cheap for a combi so I suspect that the quote may be for a stand alone boiler.

Trust what your brother says, get him to get you a boiler at trade price and treat him to plenty of brews and bikkies when he's fitting it and some beer tokens when he's finished.

Joking aside, the ' sealed ' term is for the safety of you and anyone who may stay in the van.

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

All gas water heaters must be balanced flue units , the old style open flue appliances are illegal now and cannot be repaired or fitted.

You would be best to look at a Morco unit, which is what most static vans have that provide hot water and central heating.

As long as your brother is gas safe LPG certified he can fit the new one, but if he is only NG certified you will need to get a LPG certified fitter.

Edited by Brecon