Tyre pressure monitoring systems

1 hour ago, Lost in the wilderness said:

On my tyrepal, the sensors will wake up with one turn of the wheel, so just moving the van out of storage is enough. With one note, ensure the display is turned on before moving the van. It seems that after initial wake up, the sensors go back to sleep for a few minutes. 

Our is the Tyrepal TB99. I am not sure it is just the one turn of the wheel that "wakes up" the sensors, but moving my van about 15 metres on the mover onto our lane certainly does.

However, the monitor in the car has to already be awake to pick up the sensors initial call. That's fine if moving the car to the lane happens not long before I move the van, but not if I had left the car in the lane for a couple of hours. Here I have learnt it is best just to walk over and open and close the car drivers door before I move the van.

Therefore I have no need to physically remove the sensors to check the tyre pressures, unless knowing they are right even before I use the mover is essential, now I just look in the car after I have coupled up as part of the leaving home routine.

Leaving site where i back onto the hitch and don't use the mover, I get both values come up within a short distance of moving.

Incidentally, whilst using the mover I have always enjoyed an early warning, that was not always the case when leaving site in the earlier days.

The reason, I finally realised, was simply my body in the driving seat "blocked" the signal from one wheel's sensor; simply moving the monitor a bit across the dash fixed that issue. I even swapped sensors over, finding it was not the sensor but the wheel in question, that was the issue, before I rethought about things and hit on the real problem, my body being there!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 hours ago, SamD said:

@DACS I think it was Mr Plodd who pointed out that with the advent of car tyre systems the after market type are no longer as attractive these days so there is little need to use the lock nut.  Mine cannot be read without removing but because the device is solar and left permanently on I am connected before leaving the storage perimeter which is a huge improvement on their earlier products.

It as not clear why lock nuts were used and I had not thought of them as an antitheft device.  They do  not seem to be a good idea as the action of a lock nut is to lift the valve cap and make it more likely to leak.  If I buy a set I will probably live dangerously and leave the lock nuts off.

Thanks to everyone you replied about the "wake up" time.  That should work for me as I usually move the caravan about thirty feet from it parking place to load up a day or two before leaving home.

Edited by DACS

There is a slight danger in relying solely on TPMS to check your tyre pressures before setting off - or just after. With our last van - I never used to check the tyres - just relied on TPMS to let me know they were at the correct pressure - until one day, just before a 400 mile trip, I decided to just have a look at my tyres and check the pressure.  Horror of horrors, I found that one of the four tyres had massive cracks in the sidewall after only three and a half years old.

Never expected that sort of degradation in that space of time and had to get the tyre replaced very quickly.

Learned a lesson the hard way and now I always, periodically physically check all the tyres - even though this van is only two years old.

VW Touareg Escape towing a 2018 Knaus Starclass 695

After following this thread I am thinking of buying a TPMS, probably TyrePal.  Our VW Tiguan has a warning system, but it's the ABS thing. I don't fancy having to remove the sensors every time I check and adjust tyre pressure on 6 tyres, so is there a version which allows inflation by just removing dust caps? 

Our caravan has Tyron bands fitted but I may remove these and get rid of them when I have new tyres fitted later this year, installing the monitors at the same time. I am thinking of the monitors which go inside the wheel rim.

4 minutes ago, Ern said:

After following this thread I am thinking of buying a TPMS, probably TyrePal.  Our VW Tiguan has a warning system, but it's the ABS thing. I don't fancy having to remove the sensors every time I check and adjust tyre pressure on 6 tyres, so is there a version which allows inflation by just removing dust caps? 

Our caravan has Tyron bands fitted but I may remove these and get rid of them when I have new tyres fitted later this year, installing the monitors at the same time. I am thinking of the monitors which go inside the wheel rim.

Tyrepal do have the type that go inside the wheel. However, you don’t need to remove the external type, to check the pressure. Just read the display 

24 minutes ago, Lost in the wilderness said:

Tyrepal do have the type that go inside the wheel. However, you don’t need to remove the external type, to check the pressure. Just read the display 

:Plus1: , plus checking it that way, unlike applying any gauge, takes no air out of the tyre.

Edited by JTQ

42 minutes ago, Ern said:

I don't fancy having to remove the sensors every time I check and adjust tyre pressure on 6 tyres, so is there a version which allows inflation by just removing dust caps? 

The sensors simply replace the dust caps and screw on in exactly the same way :rolleyes:.

I have not bothered with any of the locking devices (my sensors are the old type with a grub screw not a locking nut) for the past 4-5 years and I still have all of my original sensors. 

1 hour ago, richardandros said:

There is a slight danger in relying solely on TPMS to check your tyre pressures before setting off - or just after. With our last van - I never used to check the tyres - just relied on TPMS to let me know they were at the correct pressure - until one day, just before a 400 mile trip, I decided to just have a look at my tyres and check the pressure.  Horror of horrors, I found that one of the four tyres had massive cracks in the sidewall after only three and a half years old.

Never expected that sort of degradation in that space of time and had to get the tyre replaced very quickly.

Learned a lesson the hard way and now I always, periodically physically check all the tyres - even though this van is only two years old.

Sorry, but there is a clue in the name Tyre Pressure (not conditionMonitoring System.

Edited by Mr Plodd

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

9 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Sorry, but there is a clue in the name Tyre Pressure (not conditionMonitoring System.

Yes Mr P - was aware of that but my point was that it is easy to think along the lines of 'if my tyre pressures are OK - then all's fine' and I fell into that trap of not actually checking tyre condition (especially since they were comparatively new) which you would have done if you were checking the pressure by other means.

VW Touareg Escape towing a 2018 Knaus Starclass 695

11 minutes ago, richardandros said:

Yes Mr P - was aware of that but my point was that it is easy to think along the lines of 'if my tyre pressures are OK - then all's fine' and I fell into that trap of not actually checking tyre condition (especially since they were comparatively new) which you would have done if you were checking the pressure by other means.

But you are down there with the torque wrench checking the wheel bolts, spare a few seconds to glance at the tyre and feel round the inner wall ;)

2 hours ago, JTQ said:

:Plus1: , plus checking it that way, unlike applying any gauge, takes no air out of the tyre.

Implying that a gauge takes a significant amount out?

2 hours ago, richardandros said:

Ah! Got you now! Makes sense. 

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

1 hour ago, SamD said:

Implying that a gauge takes a significant amount out?

No, I did not imply anything about a "significant amount" or any amount, though that's relevance clearly would depend on the volumes of the tyre and gauge, and frequency of use.

Of more concern, however, in all cases, taking air out, necessarily upsets the valve sealing, breaking and hopefully remaking it. 

Far from a good practice, if it immediately precedes a trip, where possibly it might not reseal.

In part a reason why we have TPMS, to avoid potentially introducing such leaks in trying to check tyre pressures.