Tyre pressure monitoring systems

:Plus1:

The “trick” with Tyrepal is to never switch the monitor off. It goes to sleep after about 10 minutes and “wakes up” when it detects movement, such as opening a door.

The wheel sensors also go to sleep after a period of inactivity, and  “wake up” again as soon as they sense (wheel) movement. So as you open the drivers door the monitor wakes up and is ready to receive the information from the wheel sensors as soon as the vehicle starts moving. Virtually instant! 

The great advantage  the Tyrepal system has over the inbuilt systems fitted to cars is that it actually shows what each tyre pressure is and, much more importantly, in the event of sudden pressure loss, shows which tyre is effected. The inbuilt car ones  just advise that Anne of (not which) tyre has an issue. (you have to work out that out for yourself) 

No indication of pressure or temperature provided either. 

Cant imagine towing (or even just driving my car) these days without TPMS

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

The great advantage  the Tyrepal system has over the inbuilt systems fitted to cars is that it actually shows what each tyre pressure is and, much more importantly, in the event of sudden pressure loss, shows which tyre is effected. The inbuilt car ones  just advise that Anne of (not which) tyre has an issue. (you have to work out that out for yourself) 

Definitely not the case in either of my current Mercs or indeed my previous one. They all have a display which shows the individual pressure of all four tyres.

1 hour ago, TimL said:

Beware of cheaper systems that don’t have removable batteries in the sensors. I had to abandon a Fit2Go system and buy a Tyrepal as the batteries lasted less than a year.
Fortunately the Fit2Go handheld reader works on the Tyrepal sensors so I don’t have to wait until I’m 100m down the road to know what the pressures are!

Great - I used the Fit2Go system previously and loved the ability to test pressure in an instant before a journey.  I have kept the 'reader' so will have to try it out - thanks!

5 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

The sensor seals onto the valve and doesnt  leak. My tyres maintain their pressures fir weeks at a time. 

I ceased bothering about “locking” the sensors onto the valves about 4 years ago. I still have them all!  

Agree - the only criticism I have of Tyrepal is that daft 'bent' spanner that's supposed to slacken the locking nuts.  It's useless and keeps slipping off, to the extent that I had to resort to using an 'ordinary' spanner that's even more awkward to use.  In the end, although the locking nuts are there, they're only finger tight so no need for a spanner.

VW Touareg Escape towing a 2018 Knaus Starclass 695

6 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

I ceased bothering about “locking” the sensors onto the valves about 4 years ago. I still have them all!  

38 minutes ago, Blackrat 51 said:

Definitely not the case in either of my current Mercs or indeed my previous one. They all have a display which shows the individual pressure of all four tyres.

Same on my Porsche - display shows individual tyre pressures.

Life is not a rehearsal . . .:)

Porsche Cayenne S Diesel & Knaus StarClass 695. Previously Audi S4 Avant & Elddis Super Sirocco

Ah, the benefit of being able to afford an upmarket car!! 

All the ones with inbuilt TPMS I have seen just show a warning, and nothing else. 

14 minutes ago, KnausCol said:

Same on my Porsche - display shows individual tyre pressures.

So does my Treg

VW Touareg Escape towing a 2018 Knaus Starclass 695

My Honda CRV has a tyre inflation warning system but it just works off the ABS measuring rotation as a proxy for diameter. Utterly useless and goes off all the time on winding roads and just lane changing on a dual carriageway. Another reason for investing in a Tyrepal!

6 hours ago, TimL said:

Beware of cheaper systems

A lot of the cheaper systems have sensors that don't operate at the higher PSI's. TyrePal go up to 99psi.

Also the cheaper sensors are more likely to corrode and fuse to the tyre valve. The TyrePal sensors are nickel-plated brass these days which is much more resistant to corrosion.

6 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

All the ones with inbuilt TPMS I have seen just show a warning, and nothing else. 

My Hyundai also shows individual tyre pressures!

17 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Thanks, I never though of my Ssangyong as an upmarket car.  It has a warning light on the dash but can also display the pressure of each type in p.s.i..

20 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Apparently, you need to get out more!! 🤣🤣

Out of interest, Does anyone have experience with the Reich Safetyre TMPS?

Posted (edited)
On 13/05/2021 at 13:32, TimL said:

Beware of cheaper systems that don’t have removable batteries in the sensors. I had to abandon a Fit2Go system and buy a Tyrepal as the batteries lasted less than a year.
Fortunately the Fit2Go handheld reader works on the Tyrepal sensors so I don’t have to wait until I’m 100m down the road to know what the pressures are!

Had a go with mine this afternoon (van in storage) and my handheld reader does not communicate at all with my tyrepal system.  My reader is a Michelin version but I was fairly certain that Fit2Go were only agents of theirs.  Could you give me more detail - I am on the latest version of Tyrepal.

Is your Reader This Type - if so I might well buy one for instant checking.

Edited by SamD

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, SamD said:

Had a go with mine this afternoon (van in storage) and my handheld reader does not communicate at all with my tyrepal system.  My reader is a Michelin version but I was fairly certain that Fit2Go were only agents of theirs.  Could you give me more detail - I am on the latest version of Tyrepal.

Is your Reader This Type - if so I might well buy one for instant checking.

Mine is this older type

https://www.roadpro.co.uk/product/01f-tyre-pressure-monitoring-systems-tpms/pressure-checker-for-fit2go-tpms-system-d8132b/D8132B

You place it on the sensor and it reads the pressure. I’m not sure if the battery strength reading is accurate. 

I suspect that Michelin and Fit2Go were just branded versions of a generic product. 

Edited by TimL

2 hours ago, TimL said:

Mine is this older type

https://www.roadpro.co.uk/product/01f-tyre-pressure-monitoring-systems-tpms/pressure-checker-for-fit2go-tpms-system-d8132b/D8132B

You place it on the sensor and it reads the pressure. I’m not sure if the battery strength reading is accurate. 

I suspect that Michelin and Fit2Go were just branded versions of a generic product. 

Thanks Tim.  Mine is also of the older type with the Michelin man logo in place of your fit2go.  Agree on your point about generic product.   Tested batteries and a bit low so will try with fresh tomorrow.  What surprises me is why TyrePal are not aware of this and are not marketing a reader.  It would sell like hot cakes - lack of instant read out is their Achilles heel.

• 2 months later...

Bringing back this subject up and looking in detail all the member's feedback, it looks like TyrePal migh be the best choice for a tyre monior checking solution without any reliable competitor?

However, as my car has already an Android system, I was wondering if I could get a tyre monitor solution by using the a radio connected receiver to get the sensor signal and use an Android APP.

I can find on the market a few "chinese solutions" but I am guessing that might not be suitable due to the transmission distance.

Is there any product available to be used for a caravan?

Thanks in advanced.

Joao Silva

I use this one:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B092R1HJ6M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00

It looks very much like the TyrePal system but much cheaper and it works perfectly for me. It even works on the other side of the house when the caravan is on the drive so can't see there being any range issues.

25 minutes ago, colc1705 said:

I use this one:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B092R1HJ6M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00

It looks very much like the TyrePal system but much cheaper and it works perfectly for me. It even works on the other side of the house when the caravan is on the drive so can't see there being any range issues.

Looks identical to my tyrepal!

16 hours ago, colc1705 said:

It looks very similar to the two I use in my towcar.  

1974232964_Tyrepressuremonitors.jpg.7592e08c70b60f29034e59cd7de8dabf.jpg

The front one shows the four car tyres.   The rear one has the two van tyres on the top line and my e-bike which I carry in the car, on the bottom line.   They were bought in 2019, are all running on the original batteries, and the pair of them cost £34.50 on ebay.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

3 hours ago, Jaydug said:

It looks very similar to the two I use in my towcar.  

1974232964_Tyrepressuremonitors.jpg.7592e08c70b60f29034e59cd7de8dabf.jpg

The front one shows the four car tyres.   The rear one has the two van tyres on the top line and my e-bike which I carry in the car, on the bottom line.   They were bought in 2019, are all running on the original batteries, and the pair of them cost £34.50 on ebay.

I have just been looking at these and might buy one so perhaps you could answer a couple of questions based on your experience.

Regardless of the warning provided by the TPMS, I would like to check the tyre pressures of the caravan before setting off.  The TPMS on my car does not start working until I have driven about a mile.  Is there any way of "waking up" this TPMS before setting off?

Also, the illustrations on Amazon show a lock nut being used to secure the replacement valve caps.  Do you need to use a spanner to check the tyre pressures, assuming that f the TPMS is not available before starting?

Thanks.

@DACS I think it was Mr Plodd who pointed out that with the advent of car tyre systems the after market type are no longer as attractive these days so there is little need to use the lock nut.  Mine cannot be read without removing but because the device is solar and left permanently on I am connected before leaving the storage perimeter which is a huge improvement on their earlier products.

58 minutes ago, DACS said:

Regardless of the warning provided by the TPMS, I would like to check the tyre pressures of the caravan before setting off.  The TPMS on my car does not start working until I have driven about a mile.  Is there any way of "waking up" this TPMS before setting off?

On my tyrepal, the sensors will wake up with one turn of the wheel, so just moving the van out of storage is enough. With one note, ensure the display is turned on before moving the van. It seems that after initial wake up, the sensors go back to sleep for a few minutes. 

1 hour ago, DACS said:

By the time I've reversed my caravan from where its parked - alongside the house, out onto the drive to hitch on, the sensors have woken up and show on the display.      The car likewise shows four pressures immediately, but that is only what remains in the memory.   It needs some movement to show the actual pressure.

Regarding the locking rings, the bent bit of tin provided in the kits is useless.   For mine, I've cut and bent an old ring spanner.   See below:

P1000784.JPG.7957e243556ab2c181a7a674819d69de.JPG

P1000780.JPG.eabc99ffe92e52bc5014b1e0c42f5759.JPG

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com