Hello, I’m attempting to install a gas lamp in an old 1986 Avondale kingfisher as I plan to use it off grid and don’t want to rely entirely on battery and led lighting. I have purchased a valor super lite fitting off eBay, but the gas inlet appears to take 5mm pipe, how do I drop the Avondale’s pipes (6mm? Or 1/4”?) down to 5mm, doesn’t appear to be compression fittings available to do this? Also what thread will the lamp inlet be, as it has no nut with it?

If I recall correctly the gas pipe to the mantle light on our classic caravan was 1/8" BSP. A straight compression adaptor (6mm x 1/8" BSP) should allow you to drop to the correct size pipe for your light. When using compression fittings, ensure the pipe end is cut square and deburred, do not over tighten the locking nut against the olive, and do not use any sealant.

Wherever you have a threaded connector I would recommend using a smear of red Calor-tite on the thread if you do not have any PTFE plumbers tape. Always check for leaks using leak detector spray but if you have only soapy water, ensure that all traces are removed afterwards as if left in contact long term this can damage the fitting. Working from memory, I believe I had to use a 90deg coupler in order to keep the connection to our gas light looking tidy.

image.png

These days it is probably best to use LED lights but back in the day, I used a 12V Labcraft strip light as an optional lighting source.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Do be aware of course that caravans  come under Gas Safe regs so if you do the work yourself and you are not qualified/registered to do so, in the event of a fire (probably whether it involves the gas lighting or not) your insurers will likely refuse your claim.

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

6 minutes ago, Woodentop said:

Do be aware of course that caravans  come under Gas Safe regs so if you do the work yourself and you are not qualified/registered to do so, in the event of a fire (probably whether it involves the gas lighting or not) your insurers will likely refuse your claim.

When the work is finished you can get a gas safety check done by a Gas Safe registered engineer who works on caravans. Then no problem with the insurance.

Thanks for your replies, very helpful especially Gordon’s, but doubt if it’s 1/8”, however I tried 3/16” and that felt loose, whereas 5mm seems right but can’t get the adaptors for 5mm. 
I will of course have it all tested on completion 

Picture of fitting with 5mm pipe sample inserted. Plan to have Led with solar as well but would be nice to have gas light as a backup as well, also gives off a nice light.

374D3FFE-D154-434A-A9E0-41495DF58995.jpeg

I also have just bought a 5mm compression fitting and the nuts off that fit the thread on the lamp. So anyone know where I can get a 6mm to 5mm fitting or even better  a T junction....(2x6mm) x5mm