Bailey Phoenix+ 640 Collected

Collected our Phoenix+ 640 that we ordered back in September and generally pleased, we had ATC, external gas socket, weigh upgrade and mover added. A few things that we have noticed:

• Microwave as expected is the Dometic.
  • Fridge has been upgraded to the 10 series which is better and the door opens the correct way round. We were aware of issues with missing shelves which we raised with the dealer prior to collection. They were missing when delivered to dealer but resolved. This is now the standard across all caravan as the series 8 is no longer available.
  • Power cable is a nice simple upgrade and now has a 90’ plug reducing the distance it sticks out from the caravan.

Two issues that we’re aware of and logged with the dealer:

• Bedroom sliding door either the door or wooden panel is warped, opening the door and the door and wooden panel catch.
  • One external locker door lock very tight and the locking mechanism came out, refitted it and will see how long it lasts.

There’s no AL-KO wheel lock bolt, no washing up bowl is supplied,  our Valencia front towing cover fits the Phoenix+, storage through out is good and challenges we’ll have is where to put the Aquaroll & air awing both of which used to be stored under the bed in our Valencia.

Edited by D-Hill
33 minutes ago, D-Hill said:

where to put the Aquaroll & air awing both of which used to be stored under the bed in our Valencia.

Aquaroll In the shower, that’s where we put it in our  Phoenix! 

Just make sure  there is something in the shower tray to stop it being scratched! 

We also have an Air awning  (27kg) so, due to its weight and the payload implications, that goes on the back seat of the car and is held in place by the seat belt. 

I really dont like the location of the EHU socket (trip hazard from the cable) so I moved it to the other side of the caravan. 

Edited by Mr Plodd

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

yes aquaroll in shower, I have some sponges that I use to keep it off the shower walls and some towels that I use for the dogs. The awning rests at the bottom of the bed on the floor, but it's not as heavy as Mr. P's  .  Addis do a small washing up bowl. As you have had a caravan before  you will be aware of where to store things  and luckily I found that the phoenix has plenty of storage space. 

My only slight gripe is that there is simply nowhere at all to fit a heated towel rail :( 

Other than that, brilliant layout that works perfectly for us, other than the location if the EHU socket, but I fixed that with no hassle.

Although listed as an entry level caravan I cannot see much difference between it and my mates “luxury” Cabrera (other than the £6.5K price differential which is simply crazy especially as I got most of the Cabrera extra touches with my dealer special)

May I ask if the dealer gave you extra shelves for the fridge or past it back to Bailey to sort out. 

4 hours ago, Leesdad12 said:

May I ask if the dealer gave you extra shelves for the fridge or past it back to Bailey to sort out. 

If the question is aimed at me I purchased mine 2 years ago, and the fridge came with the correct complement of shelves. Personally I think it utterly deplorable that they now come with what is blindingly obviously insufficient shelving! 

I do wonder if its Bailey lowering the spec, or Dometic. Trouble is I bet each will say it’s the other if questioned. 

The question was for the author but I agree 2 shelves is no good. Not only Bailey that’s doing it though as I’ve heard Coachman are at it as well 

7 hours ago, joanie said:

yes aquaroll in shower, I have some sponges that I use to keep it off the shower walls and some towels that I use for the dogs. The awning rests at the bottom of the bed on the floor, but it's not as heavy as Mr. P's  .  Addis do a small washing up bowl. As you have had a caravan before  you will be aware of where to store things  and luckily I found that the phoenix has plenty of storage space. 

reading this it sounds like I put the awning in the bed , so to correct myself, the awning is kept out side the bed on the floor near the sliding door

9 hours ago, Leesdad12 said:

My understanding is that of the four Phoenix+ caravans that were delivered to the dealership ours was the only one missing shelves, they gave use the missing shelves from another caravan and will make a claim.

Next point, what is the correct number of shelves, I think and feel the correct number is two plastic shelves in the door and two steel shelves in the fridge, this is also how its shown on the Dometic website:

https://www.dometic.com/en-gb/uk/products/food-and-beverage/fridges/motorhome-fridges/dometic-rms105xt-_-251792

Could you use two shelves in the door if bottles are stored in the bottom shelf? Similar thing with the steel shelves, if the bottom shelf is above (not on top of) the two draws then there’s plenty of space, this is my own opinion.

One thing I haven’t checked is if there’s an external satellite connector, I’m assuming this will not be available. 

I actually have 3 shelves, 2 in the fridge and one came in a pack so that if I wanted to remove the freezer box and use it as a fridge only then I have a shelf to put in it's place.  the van is 2 year old,   

Thanks for that bud. Have emailed the dealer today to see how he’s doing and waiting to hear back from him. Think a email to Bailey might not hurt either. Dealers been good so will see what he says. 

Visited our caravan yesterday to establish if it’s the bedroom door or the wooden surround that’s warped, I was hoping it was the door as this would be a far easier fix, unfortunately it’s the wooden panel bedroom side.

Anyone have any ideas as to how complex this will be to repair, I’m guessing the panel will need removing the fore shelf, top, bottom and screws removing. I’m also questioning if it’s the wall wall that’s the issue or a bigger issue relating to the construction and the roof & floor distance?

1 hour ago, D-Hill said:

Visited our caravan yesterday to establish if it’s the bedroom door or the wooden surround that’s warped, I was hoping it was the door as this would be a far easier fix, unfortunately it’s the wooden panel bedroom side.

Anyone have any ideas as to how complex this will be to repair, I’m guessing the panel will need removing the fore shelf, top, bottom and screws removing. I’m also questioning if it’s the wall wall that’s the issue or a bigger issue relating to the construction and the roof & floor distance?

I take it that your van is still under warantee, if so , put it back to the dealer to do. If you can put up with it until the end of the season , so much the better

6 hours ago, joanie said:

I take it that your van is still under warantee, if so , put it back to the dealer to do. If you can put up with it until the end of the season , so much the better

Brand new caravan only collected on Saturday after a 7 month wait, I was VERY disappointed when I contacted the dealership as the owner came across very abrupt, questioned the fault even though the salesman had acknowledged it when we collected it and then required me to bring the caravan back to be inspected before booking the working ! Ohh and the earliest it will be fixed is September which is not a problem but the general attitude was poor, if I didn't like the caravan I could bring it back for a refund! I did question there PDI inspection and this is not covered, I even supplied a photo and offered to take them down to the caravan to see the issue.

No prizes for guessing what his response was when I said I asked Bailey for an update / response and that was after the above updates, let's hope I have no further warranty issues after this is fixed.

IMG_1964.jpg

I wouldn't be going back to that dealer.

25 minutes ago, D-Hill said:

Brand new caravan only collected on Saturday after a 7 month wait, I was VERY disappointed when I contacted the dealership as the owner came across very abrupt, questioned the fault even though the salesman had acknowledged it when we collected it and then required me to bring the caravan back to be inspected before booking the working ! Ohh and the earliest it will be fixed is September which is not a problem but the general attitude was poor, if I didn't like the caravan I could bring it back for a refund! I did question there PDI inspection and this is not covered, I even supplied a photo and offered to take them down to the caravan to see the issue.

No prizes for guessing what his response was when I said I asked Bailey for an update / response and that was after the above updates, let's hope I have no further warranty issues after this is fixed.

IMG_1964.jpg

I would be annoyed to say the least, especially  as you say , the salesman acknowledged it at the  time.  However, keep calm , speak on an even tone,  keep all your evidence and write everything down as to who said what. Good Luck. 

• 3 weeks later...

Today I took our Phoenix+ back to the dealer as requested and I have to say the response was a lot more positive than I'd expected. I think the issue was due to the salesman saying the caravan's side panel was warped, when service engineer realised it was the Internal panel I was told that all four 640's that were delivered all had the same issue. They suggested that they would attempt to fix the panel along with the other minor issues before our next holiday at the end of May which is far better than the original September date. They did say that the panel repair maybe temporary as a new panel may need ordering and won't be quick due to supply issues at Bailey.

So generally feeling a little more positive.

That’s good news D-Hill. Our panel is bowing slightly too but it isn’t rubbing the door so I will just keep my eye on it for the time being. We have just taken ours back to dealer as it is leaking like a sieve!

After 12 totally dry and trouble free years of Lunars, two weeks into Bailey ownership and it’s not going well!

How's the mattresses? I belive they now use sprung mattresses front and rear instead of that rubbish foam they've used on the non + Phoenix.

On 20/04/2021 at 23:02, D-Hill said:

My understanding is that of the four Phoenix+ caravans that were delivered to the dealership ours was the only one missing shelves, they gave use the missing shelves from another caravan and will make a claim.

Next point, what is the correct number of shelves, I think and feel the correct number is two plastic shelves in the door and two steel shelves in the fridge, this is also how its shown on the Dometic website:

https://www.dometic.com/en-gb/uk/products/food-and-beverage/fridges/motorhome-fridges/dometic-rms105xt-_-251792

Could you use two shelves in the door if bottles are stored in the bottom shelf? Similar thing with the steel shelves, if the bottom shelf is above (not on top of) the two draws then there’s plenty of space, this is my own opinion.

One thing I haven’t checked is if there’s an external satellite connector, I’m assuming this will not be available. 

If the van has an external socket under a flap there should be a F-type connector in there. The other end of the cable hangs free near the TV aerial amp OR may be connected to one of the amp outlets.

If you use satellite you will need to disconnect the cable marked TV from the amp and connect it to the external cable with a back-to-back adapter - you do NOT pass the satellite through the amp as it does not have the power continuity that the satellite needs.

If you use the external socket for an external TV aerial then the signal can be passed through the amp.

The real purpose for the external socket per Bailey-think is to feed terrestrial TV signals to a second TV in the awning.

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville