Control panel says ‘pump running’ even though the pump isn’t connected.

My caravan is a Bailey Alicanto (2020) and the pump system is a Whale Aquamaster with the pressure switch built in to the hose connector. Pump is a high pressure one.

Gave the whole water system a puriclean yesterday and noticed the pump was buzzing every few seconds with the taps off. Got the manual out and managed to adjust the pressure switch and get the buzzing down to just every now and again. However I noticed that Bailey control panel showed ‘pump running’ but it wasn’t. I removed the pump and message still showed. As there is very little in the system my assumption is that the Aquamaster is giving a feed back signal even though there is nothing connected, I then confirmed this by removing the signal lead and the message disappeared after resetting the panel.

So, I’m wondering if this is a fairly common occurrence and there is an easy fix? It seems odd to me that the pressure switch is turning off the pump but leaving the signal line active for the display. 
any thoughts or cures greatly received!

My opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it.;)

The pump running is feed-back from the pressure switch to the panel - it shows 'pump demand' and disconnecting the drop in pump from the circuit will have no effect on that indicator.

There are three wires on the back of the inlet/switch +12V, 0V and 'Pump Run/indicator feedback'.

The pump is fed from 'Pump Run' and 0V, with the 'Running' led in parallel.  The 12V is sourced from the Pump ON switch of the control panel.  The pressure switch is a microswitch in the housing and is normally closed (make pump run) when the water pressure increases a rubber diaphragm operates the microswitch lever to open the contact and the pump stops.  A non-return valve in the inlet prevents back flow and loss off pressure in the pipework.

That the pressure switch with pump attached keeps 'calling' for water is down to the design/lack of pressure or maybe a leak from the non return valve and worst case a leak in the diaphragm that operates the microswitch in the housing causing an electrical problem?  LEDs require minimal current to light while a motor needs much, much more.

AIUI Whale may well do a service kit for the inlet / valve system if it can't just be stripped down and cleaned up?

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

Thanks for the detailed reply Rodders , good to know there is a micro switch in there, still not sure why it would stop the pump but continue to send an ‘on’ signal to the control panel. I’ve discovered that you only need to pull the back of the housing off to access the micro switch. So, multimeter out to discover what the switch is up to.

Thanks again.  Keith

Alternatively its a 2020 van so surely under warranty?

I have same model.

you just need to go into the panel menus and disable the pump running alarm - then it will only come on when in use 👍

Edited by djadria

PS -detailed instructions for panel on Bailey website - link below

https://www.baileyofbristol.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/Control-Panel-User-Manual-Alicanto-Grande.pdf

Page 18 - disable pump warning 👍😀

Absolutely charlieboy but not going to all the trouble of a dealer visit for a two pound micro switch 😁. If it can come apart then generally I can fix it, dealer would probably just replace the whole item. I don’t like to throw away anything that can be economically fixed.

Thanks djadria, I have come across that manual on line but I didn’t get one with the van. I have to say that I wasn’t sure there was much relevance to our vans with so much reference to motorhome equipment, Whale heating, waste probes etc. Plus couldn’t find any solar panel indicator, outside temperature, leisure battery current etc. on my display. 
I will have another look but didn’t find the pump running alarm, is there a subset of menus?

Yes - just look for ump running option - it’s not faulty it’s the setting mine was the same 👍

Found it, so all sorted, the pump has also stopped buzzing every ten to twenty seconds, so can now relax. 

Great - this panel is for motorhome also - just not set up properly 👍