How to get paint off a plastic car skirt

Came back from shopping this morning to find that we have driven through some paint, so apart from it being on the off side tyres and the wheel arches, which we are not too bothered about, it splashed up onto the plastic skirt.  We have got the paint splashes off the paint work using out finger nails and water and we have got a fair bit off the skirt  using a scraper and some nail varnish remover, but it's a very slow job as we don't want to cause any damage. Any one with any advice will be greatly appreciated

Is it emulsion paint or solvent based ? If emulsion, wetting it for a long time will likely soften it so it can be wiped off. If solvent based, use some turps/white spirit before it fully dries to wipe it off.

Can you be sure the turps/white spirit won't take the actual car paint or varnish off? 

That's why Joanie is asking 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

it's not water based, it was dry by the time we got home, we went out of town shopping.  It has a weird smell,  it doesn't smell like paint or emulsion.   It is hard, even the thicker bits. We were a bit wary of using the paint stripper or turps, white spirit as we don't know if it will damage the plastic .   Thanks for your thoughts.

White spirit Joanie, but only on the plastic, not the body work. dont let it dry just wipe on and wipe off, so you might need to do it a few times. Have just had to do it on one of our cars after we ran over some wet  white lines that had just been painted and splashed up the side...

2018 Volvo XC60  D4 AWD + Penshurst Premier Plus (AKA Elddis Affinity 550)

Turps/white spirit should not affect car paint, that needs a toluene or xylene type paint thinner to dissolve it. If still not sure try a tiny spot check. If it was the type of paint used to mark roads I have seen them burn it off roads but trying that on your car could destroy it. I would not use acetone (nail varnish remover) since that can affect plastic.

Once finished you might want to apply polish if you normally use some.

Edited by Paul1957
3 minutes ago, Jacko1 said:

White spirit Joanie, but only on the plastic, not the body work. dont let it dry just wipe on and wipe off, so you might need to do it a few times. Have just had to do it on one of our cars after we ran over some wet  white lines that had just been painted and splashed up the side...

we never thought of wet white lines, but it would explain it as we couldn't recall driving over any paint.  Thankfully it was only a little bit on the car paint which we managed to get off. The majority is on the black plastic skirt, the wheels and the wheel arches. We shall try that tomorrow , thanks guys

Have a search of the internet, as there are many suggestions for removing white line paint, including vaseline, toothpaste, wd40 and other products ......ignore suggestions of using a blow torch though....

Edited by gtepete

I have been searching the internet before I posted and since as well.  We thought it was a new sort of paint , but we never thought of road paint and he's been driving for nearly 60 years and it's never happened to us before.  The results that I'm getting for road paint are mostly american  , so not much use. We shall have to  go out and buy some white spirit and tar remover to try.   We really don't want to damage the plastic, so I wont use the blow torch  :o

May be worth checking the use of vaseline as it may help to soften the paint, before using tar remover.... 

A jet wash may well make easy work of it Joanie, you got one to try? 

WD40 as above also a top-tip 👍

Cheers, Martin

we tried the  jet washer first , it didn't touch it. We have some WD40  so we'll try that, once we've had our cup of tea.

I think Acetone (nail varnish usually) would be one of my last ports of call, I have managed to dissolve some plastics with it in the past.

I have found that once some paints have skinned, scratching the surface a little allows some of the gentler solutions to penetrate and lift but time consuming.

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front - Discovery 4. Wheels at the back - Bessacarr 845.

Where we go on holiday we get a lot of road tar spots, I find wd40 good, but also I have some paraffin in a spray bottle that works on paintwork and plastic.  The spots have been so bad at times I have resorted to liberally spraying the bottom half of my then new car with paraffin, a good wax after is a good idea. 

Chris in Warwickshire, Elddis Odyssey 482 (2008), Mitsubishi Outlander diesel, 2017

If it won't come off, try leaving it for a few weeks.  The long-term adhesion of most paints onto surfaces that have not had any preparation is poor and you might well find it peels off easily.

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

If using wd40 use a piece of tissue over the top of the paint spot, then spray it. The tissue will keep the fluid on the spot rather than running away....this also helps with hardened bird poo, but then use soapy water......

up date;  we tried the white spirit and the WD40, it wont touch it so we have scraped most of it  off that is visible when looking at the car and as GaryB says we'll leave it and hope that it wears off a bit.    Thanks everyone .    :)

Maybe try contacting the local council roadworks dept, after all, they put it onto the road, maybe they've got a method of removing it from cars.

2014 SsangYong Rexton W towing a 2017 Sprite Major 4EB. (After June 9th).

It's already ben suggested but try WD40 first, it's amazing what it can be used for

2 hours ago, Townie said:

Maybe try contacting the local council roadworks dept, after all, they put it onto the road, maybe they've got a method of removing it from cars.

TBH, we don't actually know what it is,  it didn't seem like any paint that we know and when Jacko1 mentioned road paint, I said that we never thought of it being that, so it was a possibility. Thinking back over our journey, there were no workmen or cones, we were mostly on a motorway and then a 3 lane road.  I did see a bucket on the road  and said that it must have dropped off the back of a lorry, not thinking that a few other things could have also fallen off as well so goodness knows what it is,   We did try a few things but nothing touched it so we have been scraping it off very carefully and very slowly. It doesn't look too bad now so long as you don't look long and hard .