Sink drainage on Sprite Alpine 2009

Ceepeebee

Hi all,

So, our second ever season as Van owners started at the weekend and I was surprised that I remembered everything! One little thing that does bug me and did last season is our drainage.

When we run a tap, the other drains invariably start to bubble and can sometimes back-flow. They all eventually drain, but in the shower-cum-toilet, that's obviously an issue. I'm unsure if the drains are linked (i.e. Teed underneath the van into one, but I have 2 outlets on the side of the van from those 3 sinks (Kitchen, Bathroom sink and shower).

I suppose my thoughts are as follows and I was hoping somebody might guide me towards the most obvious answer/root cause:

1. They all t- together so pressure builds and flushes back
  2. The waste pipes from the van aren't immediately down (i.e. coiled into the drain or otherwise) so gravity can't always do it's thing
  3. The pipes themselves might have a blockage
  4. Some dark magic made it happen.

Thoughts on the above (except for 4!)

All three points can apply, plus you could have a blockage  such as fat, tea leaves or hair from the shower.

A little gurgling is more or less normal but backflow should not happen.

Most vans have two or three waste outlets and any joining of them together should be as smooth as possible and as far down the pipe as you can.  A "Y" connector is much better than a "T". Long coiled waste pipes  are not good, I always carry several lengths. 

Edited by Stevan

1 hour ago, Stevan said:

All three points can apply, plus you could have a blockage  such as fat, tea leaves or hair from the shower.

A little gurgling is more or less normal but backflow should not happen.

Most vans have two or three waste outlets and any joining of them together should be as smooth as possible and as far down the pipe as you can.  A "Y" connector is much better than a "T". Long coiled waste pipes  are not good, I always carry several lengths. 

Thanks for the response. I think my main thought is that it's the length of the pipe coming out of the van and more accurately the direction it's flowing (coiled as you said). I might look to use a static piece of drain pipe and suspend it as you would do any other pipe, with the "last run" being flexi.

Thoughts?

I’ve always had problems with disappointing drainage and have met plenty onsite with the same level of disappointment, however, I think sometimes we expect too much from such small bore waste pipe within the limited design of caravans (and motorhomes). 

The first place I’d start is remove the pipes from outside and try how it all works just straight into a bowl.... if it’s all good the problem will almost certainly be the flexi hose/pipes which, from my experience, needs careful planning to maintain a drop to the drain. It’s not easy at some sites mind you, in fact can be impossible! 

As for your design, 2 outlets would make me think you have one for the kitchen and other for shower/sink or both - it’s worth getting under the van and working that out. If you add long hose and a “y” that’s what can cause the flow back - most people do this. 

Cheers, Martin

On our kitchen sink the plughole goes in to a round piece and then right angle to the down pipe, I am considering altering the pipework so that the right angle part is removed, i e the plughole would go straight down into the wastepipe for the same reason as yours, it is only the kitchen sink that is a problem, both the bathroom sink and the shower drain perfectly well, ours is a Swift 

On 21/04/2021 at 16:59, Woodsieboy said:

On our kitchen sink the plughole goes in to a round piece and then right angle to the down pipe, I am considering altering the pipework so that the right angle part is removed, i e the plughole would go straight down into the wastepipe for the same reason as yours, it is only the kitchen sink that is a problem, both the bathroom sink and the shower drain perfectly well, ours is a Swift 

I'd be interested to hear/see how that goes as I'm considering the same.

It's not a massive issue, but it does mean that when wanting to use the toilet, we have to be careful of a damp floor due to potential soap suds coming up from draining the sink.

It's simple physics I suppose; the sink is higher than the shower and there's a t-connector underneath hence the backflow at the point of least resistance. Makes me wonder why they'd do that - costs 5 mins less on the build?

Anyway - I might take a look at this. See how it goes when we take our next trip.

Some people have changed the flexi-corrugated pipe work under the van for rigid and improved the flow that way