Car damaged by caravan in storage. What next?

Message added by CT Advertising,

Compare caravan insurance quotes and buy online for touring & static caravans

compareinsurance.pngCompare Caravan Insurance provides quality touring insurance, static insurance, park home insurance and leisure home insurance at competitive prices

www.compare-caravan-insurance.co.uk

While at the storage yard today I was parked in front of the van when another member of the yard returning with their van drove passed my parked unoccupied car. They then swung left and the rear of their caravan smashed into my car partially dragging it in the wheel arch. 

Sadly their van was damaged in the accident too but thankfully there was no falling out and no one got hurt. 

Question is should I claim through the insurance am i claiming against their car insurance or caravan insurance?

20210418_111304.jpg

Car insurance, accident happened while he was driving 

@smith100s This happened on private property so it isn't a simple traffic collision claim. The claim should be made directly to the person you hold responsible. You can either do it all yourself or pass the details to your car insurer for them to handle on your behalf. It will be for the other person to pass the claim to their insurer (car or caravan) who will cover the claim.

If you're fully comp. normal practice is for your insurer to approve, arrange and pay for the repairs to your car then claim it back from the other person, less your uninsured loss (excess) which can also be claimed back.  Providing your motor insurer successfully recovers the full cost it is unlikely to affect your NCD.

If you choose to entirely handle the claim yourself you must, as a condition of your motor policy, still notify your insurer of the incident.

Edited by Legal Eagle
3 minutes ago, Legal Eagle said:

@smith100s This happened on private property so it isn't a simple traffic collision claim. The claim should be made directly to the person you hold responsible. You can either do it all yourself or pass the details to your car insurer for them to handle on your behalf. It will be for the other person to pass the claim to the insurer who will cover the claim.

If you're fully comp. normal practice is for your insurer to approve, arrange and pay for the repairs to your car then claim it back from the other person, less your uninsured loss (excess) which can also be claimed back.  Providing your motor insurer successfully recovers the full cost it is unlikely to affect your NCD.

If you choose to entirely handle the claim yourself you must, as a condition of your motor policy, still notify your insurer of the incident.

That's perfect advice. Thank you for your response. I will notify them tomorrow., I was going to get a quote to give him the option but I suspect its going to be too expensive to be honest. 

New door skin and new front wing, many hundreds of pounds worth there. Still the other driver might want to cover it himself, but bearing in mind his caravan is also damaged he is looking at a very hefty sum.  I reckon it’s insurance time (his that is not yours) 

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

Yeah, it seems that way. 

Bumper, wheel trim, mirror cover, headlight got stratched by the wing leading edge and the wing has overlapped the bonnet.  Gonna add up to be honest. Insurance have now been notified. 

20210418_111312.jpg

Awning rail seems to have done most of the damage. Sadly for this guy the caravan repairs look expensive too. 

20210418_111317.jpg

Unfortunately, the other party will probably have two insurance claims with resulting excess,  loss of NCB and increased premiums.  The damage to the OP's car will be covered by the other party's car insurance but the damage to his caravan will only be covered by his caravan insurance. 

And it’s for exactly this sort of scenario we all pay insurance for. We all have the intention of never claiming on it, but it’s reassuring to know it’s there “just in case”

Well summarised Mr Plodd. 

It amazes me how much car repairs cost and it is not just the £1000s car repair cost there will also be a courtesy car for a week or 2. Once proper estimates are obtained people can change their minds about wanting to pay and not go through insurance

We had a Citroen C4 that needed a new wing, bonnet, wheel repair, head light, abs pump (located inside wing), bumper and they broke the windscreen doing the repair. The repair was around £4000 for the insurance company. On top of this the other person claimed whip lash for a passenger and another vehicle since they said their transit flat back was written off (I saw it in use a few days later with no obvious damage) and the costs of their claims company. Another claim was about £400 for some scratches on a rear bumper - the culprit offered to pay but when given an estimate wanted us to go around to get something cheaper so we went through our insurance to sort and there was also the courtesy car, all paid by the other's insurance.

If it's expensive just give your insurance company the details and they can take it from there, no matter how friendly the other people are as you never know what damage is there that you can't see. 

Given the damage I would let my own insurer deal with it.  The other insurer may contact you and offer to pay and this can be a valid option. We had an accident in June 2017 where the other driver was at fault and obviously admitted this to his insurer who rang me and offered to have the damage repaired and give me a courtesy car and £50 for the inconvenience. I had already notified my insurers so let the offer go but possibly would have let them deal if my insurers had not arranged everything by them. Having said that the other insurer LV was one who I could trust to do the job correctly so I may have had a different view with some others.

I did reject the £50 which if you are offered that is now way below what you should get, and did get far more possibly because I knew my way round the claim.

Had a productive phone call with his and my insurance. Car booked in early May with temp loan car through the guilty party's insurance. Hopefully no write off but too early to tell. I have to say so far the insurance companies have been excellent to deal with.  Also had confirmation that I will have no excess to pay and my ncb is protected. So far, so good. 

Good news. Which insurance companies have you dealt with? Always good to know about (so far, at least) positive experiences... 

Insurers did realise some years back that if they get a  report where there Insured is at fault getting the other party quickly and sorting there claim out would be far cheaper. The problem is that if they do not get in early many people go to the claims farmers who simply send the other party to car hire companies charging excessive rates and take large fees for simply referring people to solicitors who then have to recover this by inflating their costs with the possibility of fake injury claims being thrown in as well. 

Quite simply the insurers recognise the reality of the situation and keeping the other party happy is well worth their while. The alternative is a far higher claim benefitting only the leeches who use them to make exorbitant profits.

Was this caused by lack of attention or lack of knowledge ? Lorry drivers know all about tail swing. Plenty of caravanners it appears do not. Is consideration of tail swing specifically taught on towing courses ? One notices plenty of larger caravans with damage to rear corners. If forums teach people anything anybody unknowing reading this now knows what to look out for.  Unless the caravanner now knows where they went wrong it is pointless them getting that little bit of corner damage repaired because they will just do it again. 

For the op as said just leave it to his car insurance. That’s why we pay our premiums. 

Edited by Camperdom
34 minutes ago, Camperdom said:

.......Lorry drivers know all about tail swing. Plenty of caravanners it appears do not........

Checked each of the twin axles I have had to date with either my past Discovery 3 or present 4.

In each case with the car on full lock the rear corner of the caravan has kicked out near on 4ft.

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front - Discovery 4. Wheels at the back - Bessacarr 845.

I remember speaking with the chap at the company I bought motorhomes from many years ago. He reckoned about 90% of the repairs they did to motorhomes were to the rear extremities and most were caused in fuel stations because people piled on the lock to pass a car sat on the next pump  :rolleyes: 

“Tail swing” can, as detailed by Griff, be pretty substantial. 

A gatepost taught me all I want to know about tail swing.