Solar panel charging

Asdabird

Hi all you knowledgeable people. I would like to know , could you charge the 12v battery from a solar panel, via the 12v socket inside the van, as opposed to using direct battery connectors.. All help appreciataed

Should be ok have you got a solution in mind we can look at specs etc and advise better? 

Your Sprite should be pre wired mind you which maybe a better/alternate option? What year is it?

Cheers, Martin

1 hour ago, Asdabird said:

Hi all you knowledgeable people. I would like to know , could you charge the 12v battery from a solar panel, via the 12v socket inside the van, as opposed to using direct battery connectors.. All help appreciataed

Yes you can. This used to be a common practice when there were far more sites without ehu and far fewer vans had solar panels.

In fact, in my bits bag I might even still have the lead that came with my folding panel to do just that. Quite a weird plug on the other end and the panel came with about 3 different connectors to plug in in different places.

My van is a 2018 sprite alpine 2. Just getting fed up with putting croc clips on battery terminals and then trying to shut the  battery box door..

it’s just so I can leave a solar panel on all the time to keep battery charged

Thanks for the replies

I don’t think it will do what you want unless you leave the master switch in the in position.  

As an alternative why not run a couple of wires from the battery to a convenient point and then get a small in line socket and plug like you see in cars (and caravans!) No faffing with crocodile clips then, just connect/disconnect the socket and plug! 

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

8 hours ago, Asdabird said:

My van is a 2018 sprite alpine 2. Just getting fed up with putting croc clips on battery terminals and then trying to shut the  battery box door..

it’s just so I can leave a solar panel on all the time to keep battery charged

I would pick up the pre wired connection and that way you will also get the solar display information on Command. 

What is the panel setup you have out of interest? as in panel size/regulator type (or charge controller)?

Cheers, Martin

Hi MartinJb, I was just looking to have a small 10w panel sitting in the window, just to keep the battery topped up. Nothing fancy.

I just thought that if I could find something other than croc clips, that would be better.

Thanks for your reply

Thanks Mr. plodd, I hadn’t thought about I may have to leave the master switch on.

1 hour ago, Asdabird said:

Hi MartinJb, I was just looking to have a small 10w panel sitting in the window, just to keep the battery topped up. Nothing fancy.

I just thought that if I could find something other than croc clips, that would be better.

Thanks for your reply

Ah! A 10W panel is hardly worth it if I am honest especially sat behind a window. Without knowing the specifics it’s a tricky one but if budget allows even a 40W panel on the roof would serve you much better - however it all depends what exactly you want to achieve. Sorry not a simple answer I know 😊

Cheers, Martin

A 10w panel will be as much use to you as a chocolate teapot. Hardly enough, in bright sunlight, to charge a mobile phone! 

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

59 minutes ago, MartinJB said:

Ah! A 10W panel is hardly worth it if I am honest especially sat behind a window. Without knowing the specifics it’s a tricky one but if budget allows even a 40W panel on the roof would serve you much better - however it all depends what exactly you want to achieve. Sorry not a simple answer I know 😊

A 10W panel will normally be enough to keep your battery alive over the winter as long as you do not have any parasitic drains. Probably nothing to spare though!

Just now, Stevan said:

A 10W panel will normally be enough to keep your battery alive over the winter as long as you do not have any parasitic drains. Probably nothing to spare though!

It’s a 2018 Swift with Command, besides until we know the configuration I’m not a fan of connecting a panel without a regulator. It’s a no no for me.

Cheers, Martin

Thanks for all the comments and replies. I think I need to research possibly getting a panel on the roof..

Happy camping