Is there any way to repair the pump?

Hi. My pump just failed, is there any way to open it? I know that you're able to open bigger submersible pumps, but this 12v one seems quite sealed and I can't find any screws or other clips to take it apart.

Are they built in a way so you can't repair them or do I have hope of fixing it? Basically what happened, is that it just stopped and 12v breaker broke too. I took the pump and instantly found a issue, it's completely STUCK and won't move at all. I tried moving it bit with pliers and it's very hard to move it. I tried squirting some oil into it (with very little hope) and as I expected, it had no effect. I also tried powering it from 12v DC adapter and something just clicks in it, but it won't move at all. I assume the ballbearing broke or it's just very dry.

Either way, I'd like to take it apart, so is there any non destructive way of opening it and attempt repairs?

I forgot to mention, it's older whale pump, but I really think there's no difference as they're all some sort of standard pumps that are built in same way. I looked some up on amazon and there are lots, but they all look alike with same connectors. Thanks.

How old is it, and what make?

Whale customer service is excellent, they may be able to help, but I think these are sealed units,

Pumps usually stop working due to wear in the brushes, commutator, or bearings, or a combination.

The fact that the impeller can't be turned with pliers suggest both bearings seized, or as can occasionally happen the brush assembly has dropped to bits and is jamming the armature against the magnet.

Anything can be taken apart, but will any worn parts be obtainable, and could it be reassembled ?

Best get a new one and have done with it.

When you said "and 12v breaker broke too." I presume you mean the fuse ?

7 minutes ago, Dave Capiro owner said:

How old is it, and what make?

Whale customer service is excellent, they may be able to help, but I think these are sealed units,

my camper was made in 2003, but I have no idea if it has been replaced or not. I bought it from second hand caravan dealer who refurbishes them. pump looked quite new to me.

and no thx, those services cost a fortune. I already looked on amazon, i can get replacement for like 15 - 25  gbp. It's not same and probably bit less power, but looks identical.

I just rather fix it if there's a way. I got the bottom cap off, but don't think it can be opened any further. It's just stuck. putting power thru does make it click, so I'm thinking if i can get oil in the right place, it might actually start working. I've seen same thing with PC fans, where it gets completely stuck, but PC fans have that rubber cap on back, you pop it off and squirt some oil in it, give it 10 mins and spin it a bit and it will be good as new.

but problem with submersible one, is that obviously it's protected against water, therefore also oil. So I can't get oil into the motor itself.

2 minutes ago, Silversurf said:

Pumps usually stop working due to wear in the brushes, commutator, or bearings, or a combination.

The fact that the impeller can't be turned with pliers suggest both bearings seized, or as can occasionally happen the brush assembly has dropped to bits and is jamming the armature against the magnet.

Anything can be taken apart, but will any worn parts be obtainable, and could it be reassembled ?

Best get a new one and have done with it.

When you said "and 12v breaker broke too." I presume you mean the fuse ?

Well I might have overstated a bit, it does move, but very, very hard. I popped the bottom "cap" off so I was able to access the head of the pump, i can turn it with fingers, but it feels very stiff. So I assume bearings, but I'd like to give it a go with oil ... that is if i can get it open.

and yes, I meant the fuse. sorry I'm tired, was gonna take a shower and go to sleep and then this happened :(

5 minutes ago, Morlord said:

i can turn it with fingers, but it feels very stiff

It should turn freely, I doubt if oil will provide a solution, water runs through the motor and acts as a lubricant for the bearings and keeps the pump cool, not only that you could taint the water in your system with the oil.

If you get a new one, you can have a go at repairing the seized one and if successful you have a spare, if not nothings lost and a something learnt.

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Silversurf said:

It should turn freely, I doubt if oil will provide a solution, water runs through the motor and acts as a lubricant for the bearings and keeps the pump cool, not only that you could taint the water in your system with the oil.

If you get a new one, you can have a go at repairing the seized one and if successful you have a spare, if not nothings lost and a something learnt.

Yeah i know it should turn freely, but water doesn't run thru the pump. If it did, it would short circuit. There are water tight seals everywhere. That's why i'm having hard time opening it. I was counting on it, but thought I ask anyway.

But well, I have nearly no hope in fixing it, do you or anyone else know how much flow rate should I be looking at? I just looked on google and they saying that standard ones are about 10l / min. There's a cheap one on amazon, might just grab that one and see how it works. From experience, I think mine might have actually been bit below 10l/min. Took me more than 2-3 mins to fill 15l washing machine, so I guess 10l/min should work better than the old one.

Edit: couldn't bother waiting, I ordered the cheap 10l/min pump, should arrive by tomorrow. For 15gbp, if it gets me water out of shower, that's good enough.

Edited by Morlord

Most caravan pumps are glued together with no intention that they ever be opened.

They can be cut open but it is not easy to do so in a way that enables it to be fixed and re-assembled.

Sourcing spares will be another challenge.

16 minutes ago, Morlord said:

I just looked on google and they saying that standard ones are about 10l / min.

Whale do four different specifications of submersible pumps.   10litres per min is their lowest spec.   But that 10ltrs is when it's pumping sideways.   Aim the flow upwards, and the flow rate falls away.     Your caravan sink taps are more than a metre high so don't expect 10ltrs per minute there.   More like 5ltrs.   Then there's your shower.   That will be even less.   I carry a cheap pump in the van - but that's only as an emergency;  till I can get a high flow pump sent.   

Also, in the past I've tried to open them but without any success.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

8 minutes ago, Jaydug said:

Whale do four different specifications of submersible pumps.   10litres per min is their lowest spec.   But that 10ltrs is when it's pumping sideways.   Aim the flow upwards, and the flow rate falls away.     Your caravan sink taps are more than a metre high so don't expect 10ltrs per minute there.   More like 5ltrs.   Then there's your shower.   That will be even less.   I carry a cheap pump in the van - but that's only as an emergency;  till I can get a high flow pump sent.   

Also, in the past I've tried to open them but without any success.

yeah I know how basic physics works, it's just that I couldn't find any specs on my current pump. It felt like 5-6l per minute. I didn't notice significant change in shower, I mean that shower's tap is about same level as sink and basin and if i lower the shower from near ceiling to below basin level, then I see no visible increase in flow, so I assume that 10l pump will do the trick.

I know it's about 50w power and says "crystal maxi pump" on it, that's all I could find.

anyway now it's too late, already ordered the 10l/min one. Thanks everyone for all the info and ideas. I'll try to come back in few days and let you all know how well that 10l pump works.

Posted (edited)

update: i got a lucky 1 day delivery, just finished installing the new pump. works great, even though as i expected, flow is bit lower than my old one.

just in case someone else needs info about the pumps, here it is:

Old pump - crystal maxi pump (no idea, but i think it was about 15-20l/min as new)

New pump - https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B001CV02U4 (10l/min) - Yes it's not UK one, but anyone outside UK, this pump has exact same fittings as the old one, so I guess they're all standard. Wire was bit longer, but who cares, better longer than shorter. you can always cut it.

as I said, it works fine, but pressure is not that good. I had to re-adjust the pressure switch, otherwise it wouldn't turn off. I think by about 1 and a half turn or bit less. I tested shower too and it's ok. I'm not much of a pressure fan anyways. when I wash hands, i prefer lower pressure, so water won't splash all over and when i take shower, i also prefer lower pressure so that hot water lasts longer. ofcourse you can adjust it from tap, but it's so much easier to just turn the tap onto max than slooooowwwlyyy turning it on until you got right pressure.

so for a pump worth about 15 quid, I think it's good enough result.

Edited by Morlord