80% excitement - 20% trepidation

8ftWanderer

Message added by CT Advertising,

Tracker logo 200px.pngThe Battery Powered Retrieve has its own power source and does not need to be wired into the vehicle's electrical system. Our VHF technology helps to overcome GPS/GSM signal jamming. Find out more

11 hours ago, Steamdrivenandy said:

Small is beautiful. That's what I tell Mrs SDA. She's just 5ft 2ins tall.

I was 5'7 but shrinking now, so I'm not growing old, I'm  growing beautiful :D :P

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, 8ftWanderer said:

Apologies for the slow reply... I have been a little busy a lot to learn.

IMG_6361 (1).png

lovely looking van BTW,  happy caravanning  :)

Fitted the gas bottles today - any tips for an OCD owner who would like to keep the lockers looking clean and new for as long as possible. I was thinking a sponge at the back of the bottle would reduce vibration when in transit.

46 minutes ago, 8ftWanderer said:

Fitted the gas bottles today - any tips for an OCD owner who would like to keep the lockers looking clean and new for as long as possible. I was thinking a sponge at the back of the bottle would reduce vibration when in transit.

You shouldn’t need a sponge, just make sure the bottle strap is tight. As for keeping the front clean and tidy. I find plastic bucket for things like toilet chemicals, flexi waste pipe. Plastic boxes are useful, but get the type with perforated base, so no danger of gas collecting when changing bottles. On that point do ensure not to block the gas drops in the locker

56 minutes ago, Lost in the wilderness said:

ensure not to block the gas drops in the locker

Good reminder :Thankyou:

Starting off with a new Coachman probably gives good front locker discipline.

We’ve just gone from a Lunar with full width front locker to a Coachman with the two side front lockers, and its been a job to fit in the things I felt are needed, but also a good exercise to get rid of  unnecessary items that there was no space for.

Lovely caravan. 

1 hour ago, smith100s said:

Lovely caravan

Thanks!

We have had a day of familiarising today and setting water, gas etc up.

Also had a run at the levelling ramps - all gone good.

I was a little surprised to see that the Whale Water Pump just sits on top of the Aquaroll and isn’t actually held in place -I expected it to be threaded -  am I missing something?

28 minutes ago, 8ftWanderer said:

I was a little surprised to see that the Whale Water Pump just sits on top of the Aquaroll and isn’t actually held in place -I expected it to be threaded -  am I missing something?

It works as you describe, dangle it in the top of the Aquaroll and it sinks. Make sure it reaches the bottom but sometimes the end can float upwards meaning it starts to draw in air instead of water. The trick is to fasten something rigid to the pipe to keep the end/pick up at the bottom of the Aquaroll.

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

Thanks for the reply, the pumps sits nicely in the Aquaroll. Just surprised it sits loose on the Aquaroll opening as it could easily be knocked off. Might have to utilise a rubber band. Definitely surprised it isn’t threaded.

Due to the water inlet on the side of our caravan being low down on the side and the take off pipe kinking due to the sharpness of the bend needed to get from the Aquaroll into it, I cut the pipe and fitted a 90 degree fitting to get rid of the kink.

I also passed the inserted end of the pipe through a hard piece of plastic tube to straighten out a curl that sometimes stopped the pipe reaching the full depth of the Aquaroll.

20210425_045956.thumb.png.2e8fc1e9dcb0ed28f7a458517c5032c1.png

Edited by Griff
Edit. Pic added.

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back Bessacarr 845

15 hours ago, 8ftWanderer said:

Thanks for the reply, the pumps sits nicely in the Aquaroll. Just surprised it sits loose on the Aquaroll opening as it could easily be knocked off. Might have to utilise a rubber band. Definitely surprised it isn’t threaded.

The pump fits loosely at the top to let in air as the water is pumped out, if this did not happen a vacuum would form inside the aquaroll and it would reach a point where water would no longer be pumped out. When you fill the aquaroll, on our caravan there is a bit of a bracket on the pump plug that the pump hose clips in to keep it off the ground, also check under the pump hose cap for any insects before putting back in the aquaroll. When opening a tap, if the pump bangs about in the aquaroll it means the pressure switch needs adjusting to a higher setting.

On the gas, when travelling it should be turned off on the gas bottles.

Edited by Paul1957

5 hours ago, Paul1957 said:

fits loosely at the top to let in air

Now that make perfect sense :Thankyou:

A general point on using the water an in particular the shower.

The water seems to run a bit start / stop. In other words the water freely flows then seems to take a quite break and then flow again.

is that just normal caravan behaviour?

Mine does this. I don't know if it's normal though! 

• 2 weeks later...

There may still be air in the internal caravan pipework

Always when filling the water system turn on the hot tap furthest away from the pump. Then when the water runs freely open the cold tap.  This should remove any air lock in the pipes.

The hot tap first ensures the water heater tank fills first. 

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

Got to say having used the shower in anger this weekend I don't think it is working correctly.

If you run it in the cold position you get a reasonable flow of water which runs for about 9 seconds, then has a 5 second break and then runs again in this sequence. Now as I don't know any different that might be how it works in a caravan with a pump in a Aquaroll. Any thoughts especially from anyone else with a Coachman and their experience?

Now if you turn to the hot water it is ridiculous. You get just a mere dribble of water coming through the shower head and not enough to get a steady flow. That just can't be right.

In the mixed flow position the water is pretty much freezing as I guess there isn't enough hot water getting through based on above.

I can't say that I am over excited about a new van getting pulled apart by the dealership to try and solve the problem.

Do you have an on-board pump or Ultraflow type direct feed from the tap to try and see if the results are the same?

We have only ever used the above options, not used the pump in the Aquaroll yet and the shower flow, pressure and temperature is just fine.

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back Bessacarr 845

7 hours ago, 8ftWanderer said:

Got to say having used the shower in anger this weekend I don't think it is working correctly.

Now if you turn to the hot water it is ridiculous. You get just a mere dribble of water coming through the shower head and not enough to get a steady flow. That just can't be right.

In the mixed flow position the water is pretty much freezing as I guess there isn't enough hot water getting through based on above.

That isn’t right, on ours the flow and control of water from the taps is quite good.  Ours hasn’t got an onboard tank though.

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

We used our shower at the weekend, straight out of the aquareloll with a mains feed. All I did was turn up the boost on the heater panel and 3kw while in use and the shower was powerful enough and consistent temp using the mixer. It was more than acceptable pressure. I suspect you have a issue somewhere. 

1 hour ago, Griff said:

Do you have an on-board pump or Ultraflow

Only been able to use the Aquaroll with the onboard pump so far. We have the direct feed option but haven't been in close enough promising to a tap to reach with the supplied hose so far.

It strikes me that it should surely work off the Aquaroll and onboard water.

5 minutes ago, smith100s said:

All I did was turn up the boost

Yes, I tried the boost option and also gas as a blended option but with no impact.

The pump should run continuously when the taps are opened to maintain the  pressure in the system. 

What's the other hot taps like for flow rate? Is it just the shower that has no hot flow?

If so then the problem lies in the shower mixer/pipework to it.

If is affects the other taps, then the problem is further down the line

On 25/04/2021 at 17:42, 8ftWanderer said:

A general point on using the water an in particular the shower.

The water seems to run a bit start / stop. In other words the water freely flows then seems to take a quite break and then flow again.

is that just normal caravan behaviour?

This is not normal

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, smith100s said:

We used our shower at the weekend, straight out of the aquareloll with a mains feed. All I did was turn up the boost on the heater panel and 3kw while in use and the shower was powerful enough and consistent temp using the mixer. It was more than acceptable pressure. I suspect you have a issue somewhere. 

Last summer we were using our shower with the same arrangement,  with enough hot water for two consecutive showers as normal.

38 minutes ago, 8ftWanderer said:

Only been able to use the Aquaroll with the onboard pump so far. We have the direct feed option but haven't been in close enough promising to a tap to reach with the supplied hose so far.

It strikes me that it should surely work off the Aquaroll and onboard water.

Yes, I tried the boost option and also gas as a blended option but with no impact.

Have you tried priming your pump? When I set up I open the kitchen  sink hot water tap until the water flows freely to clear any air in the system , then do the same with the bathroom sink, this can take half an aquaroll of water.

Edited by Dave Capiro owner