Rough cost for car and caravan Portsmouth to Bilbao

Hi all,

I'm looking hopefully next year to take my car and caravan to Spain but i cannot get any prices on any of the ferry sites at present ? I've tried various times and dates without luck so just as a very rough idea has anyone travelled via ferry from UK to Bilbao with Car and Caravan (VW Touareg and Adria Adora 24ft long if you need to know) and what was the cost ?

I know it will be different now but i've no idea approx how much this would be ?

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

According to Brittany Ferries, sailing today and returning in a week - £505 to £551 return.

Edited by macquatic
4 minutes ago, AndreatheAdria said:

Thanks...i'm assuming June/July has normally a price increase does it ?

Although not used the service, I would assume that too.

I tried earlier but couldn't find a date time that worked ? and it doesn't look like it's one of those sites that gives an option too be flexible (i.e + or - hours or days) so that it'll auto pick one ?

I'll keep trying later a few more times

Thanks

Hi,

fwiw ....

Jaydug will be along soon to update us as he is & was a regular user.

The prices will depend on time of year and in future times the demand & service availability.

Equally the type of Cabin you may choose. 

On our last 3 overwinter trips (c.1st Jan to 30th March), whilst we have always over-land towed (via Tunnel) down through France, is was roughly for us, all in, a similar cost door to door to Ferry route at about £950 - £1150 return inc Pet cabin if available.

We have 2 small dogs so choose overland as Pet Cabins are very scarce & the bow sited multi kennels with poop deck only are not to every owners choice.

M

Andrea, why not phone the  ferry company, give them your dates, details of vehicles, number of passengers, choice of cabin quality .....and ask them for a price ? 

1 hour ago, AndreatheAdria said:

I'm looking hopefully next year to take my car and caravan to Spain but i cannot get any prices on any of the ferry sites at present ?

You won't get prices for next year on the Portsmouth to Bilbao/Santander till later in the year.   Normally they come online in late July but I understand they will be released in May this year.   In past years for my car and 7metre caravan with a cabin I've paid around £350 to £400 each way.   But that was going out in October and returning in March.   As prices move towards mid-summer, so the fares rise in price.   If you know anyone who is a member of BF travel club (some guys on this forum are members) they can allow you to use their membership number, and in so doing, you will be given a 10% discount.   On this particular route, prices don't usually increase as the travel date approaches, but the lower priced options for cabins get booked, leaving only expensive alternatives available.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

Ok, thanks all. I wasn't expecting it to be that much but always good to ask i guess...and yes i guess giving them a cal would be a simpler option

I just priced a return trip for summer 2021 (Standard tickets).

Outbound 12th July, return 10th August with Car <5M + Caravan <8M + 2 adults + indoor cabin (no kids no pets no roof box no bikes on back) £1374. 50% deposit.

Edited by Ern

Ern

We just booked a Flexi crossing Portsmouth to Santander in January return April to Plymouth.

Including cabins (nice ones) the price was £1300 and that was AFTER the club discount which was around £300.

Car, caravan and cabins these days very unlikely to be less than £1200.

Many posters say that booking the ferry crossing via the CMC is cheaper, even including the BF Club Voyage discount as the caravan goes free (out of season).  I am not sure if that applies to the Spanish routes though.  Or if the winter is categorised as out of season.

Hi, I have just looked at the BF website and prices are available till October but I think it won’t be long til the 2022 prices available.

I don’t however think you will be seeing around the £500 mark for a return!

I guessed at £1200 for my usual May/June dates, this to year, and it is £1260 for a return with a two berth cabin each way, but that’s my outfit which is shorter than yours will be-you need to know car size  and vans shipping length/height.

The caravan club do offer good discounts with BF but only on the French routes however, I regularly save around £300 on a Plymouth overnight crossing so well worth considering going via France.

This year it was £538 booked direct with BF and £232 with the club if you buy 4 site vouchers or 4 site nights.

10 hours ago, AndreatheAdria said:

I wasn't expecting it to be that much

But consider the alternative -- driving down through France.   You'd be looking at upwards of £450 for fuel alone.   Then even just using some autoroute, say another £80.   Then a four nights site fees - another £90..   And the Portsmouth/France fare on top.      Getting on for £1000 plus the wear&tear on vehicle and persons.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

I did a comparison a while back, and in the non school holiday season I reckoned it was only about £60 cheaper each way to drive rather than sail. Plus the ferry takes 28 hours and the drive down is realistically 3 days each way (Poole to Cherbourg channel crossing) 

I came to the conclusion I would use the ferry, more holiday time, vastly less driving, less stress.

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

During the long winter lock down days I did a comparison of costs for a number of holiday scenarios-sadly none now going to happen.

The figures below are what I costed the options travelling to Spain, Marjal Eco Resort, going from Plymouith via;

ROSCOFF                                                            SANTANDER                                   ROSC OUT/SANT IN

£1626.00                                                                  £1742.50                                                       £1591.00                                     

I costed tolls, mileage @ 25p/mile and overnight stops at £50-£20 site £30 meal.

As said not a massive difference and we would have done one leg each way, we have done this before, as it gives some variety.

I didn’t count in campsite fees in my calculations. Because by ferry tgere are two nights aboard and it makes no difference if driving down or on a campsite in Spain there is still the site cost for both for those nights.

That's a valid point Jaydug so yes, doesn't seem as bad i guess (certainly as i drive a 3L V6 as well) always why it's a good idea to post here.....i might not always have considered all things :)

Might start planning now so i know the what's and where and how much for when we're out of lockdown for good (he says with fingers crossed)

Thanks all again...great advice

Hi, Just had a look at costs for a BF Plymouth to Santander return in Sept and to my surprise adding 4 site vouchers, at £79.80, reduces the price from £1158 to £1022.

So if you spend £80 on campsite vouchers for 4 nights, (which you would have to pay for anyway) the ferry cost actually  reduces by  £136 thus saving you £56 nett. 

How bizarre !  Do the savings increase further if you buy more than 4  vouchers?

38 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

So if you spend £80 on campsite vouchers for 4 nights, (which you would have to pay for anyway) the ferry cost actually  reduces by  £136 thus saving you £56 nett. 

How bizarre !  Do the savings increase further if you buy more than 4  vouchers?

Hi Andy, Yes, it is very much in the 'counter intuitive' camp but the savings are even better than you have calculated!

Booked direct its £1158 but via the club its £1022 , so saving £132 BUT the club price includes the vouchers so the saving is a minimum of £132 and if you use the vouchers, which we have always done, the saving is £211.80!!

I have no idea how, but it has been this way quite a while, and we first came across it when discounts were offered if you bought Camping Cheques, a minimum of seven I think, and a ferry crossing.

It was called an 'ITX' then, and now is called a 'Combined Fare', and when you do the quote it will tell you if there any savings to be made by adding either 4 vouchers or 4 site nights.

I even found that some sites we were considering cost less if booked via the club as part of the deal than if you got vouchers and used them to pay for your stay.

Only advice I would give anyone is to check, check and check again as you never assume, or in my case presume that the Spain routes didn't attract a discount, anything!

• 2 weeks later...

I booked Portsmouth to Santander one way two night crossing(crew change) in September this year £500 that was end of last year. Two months ago decided to book a crossing to return to Portsmouth again £500. This was outside cabin for four(no choice on pet friendly cabin) for two passengers and Suv/6m metre caravan. I've been using this route either Bilbao or Santander since 2010 original cost ex caravan approx £400 each way. I would be surprised if its possible to get a return under £1000!

I also booked this year for Caen(now cancelled) and earlier post is correct regarding vouchers. If you use CMC site and purchase vouchers it is cheaper...more importantly I believe because you purchase vouchers you are actually booking a package holiday and fall under ABTA conditions for refunds etc.

Hi Everyone ( sorry to piggyback but replies have been auto merged)as I've just posted I'm booked Portsmouth to Santander mid September returning in November. Like many I'm keeping my fingers crossed that covid situation improves dramatically by then. Is anyone else booked or considering booking.....just wondered what other caravaners/motorhomers are doing this year regarding Spanish travels. Am I over optomistic?

Edited by rfrancis1000

Rfrancis, with reference to your  final sentence.....I am doing absolutely nothing right now about travel decisions. I don’t ever pay months ahead and then scrabble around for amendments. I certainly don’t book and cancel. I sit on  my wallet and wait.

I don’t pay much regard for a foreign country telling me I can go there  -of course they want the business. Nor will I be swayed by the UK government telling me I can go - they have made more than enough wrong decisions already.

I will  wait until it looks as though I will enjoy it in one of my favourite destinations without being worried or confined in any way - and then I will make a booking for a flight or a ferry -  if I am still well.