Odd stains in caravan about to purchase

We are about to buy our first caravan and last night went to view a Lunar Zenith5. Its in great condition and perfect for us, had service, damp check etc, however there is one issue in the bathroom. There is an odd orange stain on the internal wall, looks like it could be shampoo /hair oil or similar but the owners aren't sure what it is and have tried to remove it but without success.

I've attached a photo of it. Has anyone come across anything like this before that may suggest its something more serious that a stain from shampoo and secondly has anyone had any success removing such stains. The damp check says there is no evidence of water ingress and as this is an internal wall I'm thinking its not damp related.Screenshot_20210414-074914_eBay.thumb.jpg.acd5e4c0a18d23c4cd9a6e683f6a080d.jpg

TIA

Looks like a frying pan of hot oil splatter? ! 

It's next to toilet!

A male child with bad aim?

So many possibilities!!!!!  I suppose it could be hair dye?  Caravan wall-boards are water resistant but if it is a chemical (dye etc) then it could attack the surface and leave a permanent stain.  I doubt that shampoo or the like would resist cleaning as that appears to have done.

If it were mine I would purchase a piece of caravan wall-board in as near a match as possible and over-board it.

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

Does there appear to be some on the curtain tie?

It certainly does not appear to be damp related. Damp stains look very different.

Maybe paint the wall? 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Looking at the stain it's very doubtful that it is shampoo or shower gel or similar, they would just wash off, for it to stain a waterproof shower wall covering it is it is likely to possibly be an oil or sprit based liquid such as sun oil, false tan, medication, or, as has been mentioned hair dye, any of these ending up on the wall by say a lid coming off as a bottle has been shaken, opening a container where the contents have been under pressure, or a container of something has launched itself off a shelf when being towed, yet if this had happened it would be expected to be seen elsewhere.

Looking at the  droplet pattern it looks like they have gone on the wall in an upward pattern then started to dribble down, certainly not the thing damp shows up as.

Intriguingly there doesn't appear to be any smearing, which would be expected if an attempt was made to clean it up as soon as it happened, also strange that the seller doesn't know what it is, I think I would if something like it appeared in my van, unless the stain was there when the seller purchased it previously.

As mentioned you could overboard it but would have to be 100% sure it is totally sealed to prevent damp between the boards, paint could be a possibility but you would have to ensure that the paint would adhere well to the plasticised board coating and also not react with the covering.

A little voice from over my shoulder has just said, " Graannndddaaadd if it won't come off you could work it into a nice whole wall mural." 🤔🤣😉, grandkids !

Not a solution to the problem but interesting.

Thanks all. Definitely not damp and I don't think its urine either. It is like some sort of oil but I just wanted to check that it wasn't some known caravan issue that was more sinister (with me being a novice at all this). If its purely cosmetic I am ok with it for a second hand older caravan

2 minutes ago, Silversurf said:

Looking at the stain it's very doubtful that it is shampoo or shower gel or similar, they would just wash off, for it to stain a waterproof shower wall covering it is it is likely to possibly be an oil or sprit based liquid such as sun oil, false tan, medication, or, as has been mentioned hair dye, any of these ending up on the wall by say a lid coming off as a bottle has been shaken, opening a container where the contents have been under pressure, or a container of something has launched itself off a shelf when being towed, yet if this had happened it would be expected to be seen elsewhere.

Looking at the  droplet pattern it looks like they have gone on the wall in an upward pattern then started to dribble down, certainly not the thing damp shows up as.

Intriguingly there doesn't appear to be any smearing, which would be expected if an attempt was made to clean it up as soon as it happened, also strange that the seller doesn't know what it is, I think I would if something like it appeared in my van, unless the stain was there when the seller purchased it previously.

As mentioned you could overboard it but would have to be 100% sure it is totally sealed to prevent damp between the boards, paint could be a possibility but you would have to ensure that the paint would adhere well to the plasticised board coating and also not react with the covering.

A little voice from over my shoulder has just said, " Graannndddaaadd if it won't come off you could work it into a nice whole wall mural." 🤔🤣😉, grandkids !

Not a solution to the problem but interesting.

Thanks. The current owner part owned it with his in-laws until one passed away so its been done when they had it so he can't confirm what it is. It does look like something has fallen off the shelf and splatted upwards...perhaps its been done when they've moved it and haven't checked the bathroom for a while. Fake tan or a semi permenant hair dye type shampoo are possibilities. Who knows.

That would cover quite easily with D C Fix film. 

40 minutes ago, MrOmori said:

That would cover quite easily with D C Fix film. 

:Plus1:      or you could join the dots

• 1 month later...

Try an Ionic surfactant.  That's car shampoo to the un-initiated.  Aldi sell a caravan shampoo that when used neat will remove all manner of ills.  It works great on the discoloured exterior ABS trim too, if you pour it neat onto dry plastic and leave for 10 minutes they come up almost new.

If that won't shift it I doubt anything that won't damage the wall will do any better.

• 4 weeks later...
On 14/04/2021 at 09:27, GaryB1969 said:

So many possibilities!!!!!  I suppose it could be hair dye?  Caravan wall-boards are water resistant but if it is a chemical (dye etc) then it could attack the surface and leave a permanent stain.  I doubt that shampoo or the like would resist cleaning as that appears to have done.

If it were mine I would purchase a piece of caravan wall-board in as near a match as possible and over-board it.

I think your right. Peroxide hair dye I would think.

• 4 weeks later...

Did we hear back regarding purchased or not?

29 minutes ago, gtepete said:

Did we hear back regarding purchased or not?

The OP hasn't been back to the forum since end of May - so we may never know.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

If there is a shelf above it looks like something has fallen off or been dropped and splattered onto the wall, it is probably of no consequence, although it might put people off when you come to sell it.