Front Locker Screws Loose

Hi I have a 2018 Swift Freesyle S4SB Dealer Special. I was at my caravan storage on Sunday and noticed the screws in the front locker are all loose, I looked under the floor at the front but it all looked ok no screws missing. I also looked at the winding steadies and they were in the middle of the handle hole, any advice please.

Did you get notified from Swift about the recall, might be worth checking if not;

https://www.swiftgroup.co.uk/owners/recalls/

also... 

https://www.caravantalk.co.uk/community/topic/141408-swift-recall-2020/#comments

Cheers, Martin

Hi thanks for the reply Martin. No I haven't been on to Swift yet or had a recall, I thought it was only 2017 models they where getting in touch with, but I did see where a 2018 had serious problems about the fault and it was or has gone back to Swifts for them to work on. My caravan is going in for service early July I will mention it for them to check and see what they say, then I will get in touch with Swifts because it is the third year anniversary on the 18th July so if they don't know about it they will say it is out of warrantee Graham.

Hi thanks for the reply Martin. No I haven't been on to Swift yet or had a recall, I thought it was only 2017 models they where getting in touch with, but I did see where a 2018 had serious problems about the fault and it was or has gone back to Swifts for them to work on. My caravan is going in for service early July I will mention it for them to check and see what they say, then I will get in touch with Swifts because it is the third year anniversary on the 18th July so if they don't know about it they will say it is out of warrantee Graham.

Hi Martin. Sent an email to Swift and had a reply to say they will be in touch to let me know when someone can come out to inspect my caravan, when ??? but at least it is registered thanks Graham.

10 hours ago, GraBax said:

Hi Martin. Sent an email to Swift and had a reply to say they will be in touch to let me know when someone can come out to inspect my caravan, when ??? but at least it is registered thanks Graham.

At least you are next door to Swift in Hull so let’s  hope that works in your favour! Keep us posted and good luck with it, hopefully you can still use the van 🤞

Cheers, Martin

Hi Martin JB. I have had a response from Swift today, this is not the answer I wanted really but as is Graham.

Dear Mr Baxter

2018 Freestyle S4 SB (Maj4SB V) SR T2F 2018 s/n 0916469

Thank you for your email and I am sorry to learn that you are having an issue with your locker, this is not included in our recall however this will still need to be inspected.

Our teams are no longer completing these inspections directly and all issues would need to be reported to your Swift approved dealer who will inspect this for you and decide how to proceed if a repair is needed.

Yours sincerely

Victoria Pexton

Campaign Co-ordinator

Morning Graham, I suppose the encouraging part of that reply is that it’s not the recall issue. Are you able to get the dealer to inspect ASAP and put your mind at rest? Let’s hope it’s all ok and you are out and about in no time. 

Cheers, Martin

Have you done the 'wobble test'?

With the steadies up, pull up and down on the front grab handle.  If all is well, the bodywork will move as-one with the A frame fairing. If there's any differential movement then you have the issue that the recall was all about.

There are a couple of other areas you can check yourself

• Under the front, either side there are L shaped brackets, check that these are sound and the sealing mastic is intact
  • Gas locker, make sure sealant at top and side is intact
  • Front shelf, from inside check to make sure it doesn't lool like in the photo!

These are some of the checks carried out by the Swift guy on mine.  I've added some photos highlighted in red.

The only thing found on mine was was a couple of screws that had come loose on the angle bracket in the front locker. After carefully drilling out the hole of the bracket, oversized screws were fitted with a blob of sikaflex

IMG_2432.JPG

IMG_2435.JPG

front-shelf.JPG