Loads of caravans and motorhomes on the move!

Message added by CT Advertising,

caravan-company-medium.jpg We buy caravans for cash
Looking to sell your second hand caravan? The Caravan Company is always looking to purchase quality second hand caravans. We offer great part exchange packages so that you can trade in your second hand caravans for an updated model selected from our huge range of stock at any one of our branches with no hassle. www.thecaravancompany.com

1 hour ago, Dobloseven said:

Can't believe it's been well over 5  months since our last outing in October. 

I know the feeling. The last time I was away in the MH was February 2020 for the NEC Show. Hopefully things with return to 'normal' before too much longer and we'll all feel comfortable being on a campsite once more.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are in North Cornwall this week and discovered schools in this area are still on Easter holiday. Went to Lanhydrock National Trust yesterday and the part of the park for which there is no entrance control, was heaving.  (So the first week of sites out of lock down coincides with the last week of school holiday!)

Ern

On 16/04/2021 at 08:52, Dobloseven said:

We're having a last minute weekend away in the van. Only going about 25 miles to Rutland Water.Just be good to get away and hopefully have some food and drink we've not cooked ourselves, even if it means sitting outside. Can't believe it's been well over 5  months since our last outing in October. Think it was the Halloween weekend because the family in the next van had got a pumpkin. 

we envy you --- not been away since Oct 2019 ( sheltering etc )   looking at all this sunshine & the threat of another lockdown ......

Skoda Scout 4x4 pulling a coachman Amara 520/4 at 93%---- when full!

On 16/04/2021 at 10:37, Ern said:

We are in North Cornwall this week and discovered schools in this area are still on Easter holiday. Went to Lanhydrock National Trust yesterday and the part of the park for which there is no entrance control, was heaving.  (So the first week of sites out of lock down coincides with the last week of school holiday!)

We have, until last march, been regular users of the bike trails, some 20 miles form home, at Lanhydrock.

Following lock down NT introduced restrictions to assist with 'social distancing-this is for a 900 acre parkland where the only faint chance of coming into contact with others is at the 'pinch points' created by entrance controls!

In addition they locked the popular car park at Respryn Bridge which led to people taking to, and wrecking, the verges in many locations.

As for the timing of the easing, I had presumed that it was entirely deliberate to give families a chance of a , albeit brief, holiday before going back to school. 

5 minutes ago, david 1220 said:

we envy you --- not been away since Oct 2019 ( sheltering etc )   looking at all this sunshine & the threat of another lockdown ......

I have enormous sympathy for those restricted beyond what most of us have had to cope with, but why is there a threat of another lockdown?

Latest figures suggest that a maximum of 1 in 1000 cases of Covid are contracted outdoors and last years easing in July saw half a million visit Cornwall with no upturn in cases. 

There's about 150 units on our site, Lyndon Top. But it's over 100 acres so we're probably further from our neighbours than we are at home. There's a general air of being glad to be out again and the weather is beautiful. There's no toilets, showers or hook ups anyway so only points of contact are the barrier keypad, taps and CDP. Notice that motorhomes and campervans outnumber the caravans by about 2 to 1.

Yes lots heading south on the M5. Sadly this guy didn't make it.

(Yesterday)

M5 about 30 miles North of Exeter.

IMG-20210416-WA0002.jpg

Looks like a slip road on to me.

Wonder how the driver managed to get it to fall over? Regardless of that I do feel for him, must be gutted :( poor chap. 

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

1 minute ago, Mr Plodd said:

Looks like a slip road on to me.

Wonder how the driver managed to get it to fall over? Regardless of that I do feel for him, must be gutted :( poor chap. 

I think he lost control on the main carriageway after a Junction.

One of the guys helping out in the picture is a mate of mine and my mate was right behind the motorhome in his Tiguan pulling a Challenger. The guy driving was talking ok and coherent but couldn't get out of his MH.

I'll get more details when we go to the pub for lunch tomorrow!!! A long wet lunch...

8 minutes ago, P101 said:

I'll get more details when we go to the pub for lunch tomorrow!!! A long wet lunch...

Weather forecast is good!

Think of me as you down your first pint, I’m at home, inlaws visiting , oh joy :rolleyes:

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

We have booked to go to mid Cornwall in early July, hopefully things will have calmed down a bit by then.

We are going down on a Sunday, to hopefully miss the worst of the traffic, and staying for ten nights.

I was quite surprised to get a booking at the first commercial site I tried, adults only, and very reasonable price.

Now just got to get the van ready, it hasn't moved since early last August.

Just back from the Lake District. Large Keswick C&CC site was full. Great to be back out in the van though and we had exceptional weather - I don't think I've ever experienced 6 consecutive fine weather days in the Lakes before :).

Life is not a rehearsal . . .:)

Porsche Cayenne S Diesel & Knaus StarClass 695. Previously Audi S4 Avant & Elddis Super Sirocco

11 hours ago, KnausCol said:

I don't think I've ever experienced 6 consecutive fine weather days in the Lakes before :).

• The Met Office sincerely apologise for this lapse which they put down to new part time staff, and they state that normal weather will be resumed as soon as possible :lol:

Trevor.

On 17/04/2021 at 21:09, Mr Plodd said:

Weather forecast is good!

Think of me as you down your first pint, I’m at home, inlaws visiting , oh joy :rolleyes:

So my mate thought he was following a car caravan because the MH lost control like a snaking van, swerving across all three lanes before overturning and bouncing off the central reservation before skidding onto the hard shoulder by the entry slip.

Driver very lucky, along with other road users at the time.

Tyre blowout maybe?

Went up the West side of Loch Lomond yesterday passing the two C&CC sites. Both had caravans on them which appeared to be being used for leisure purposes despite the fact they should not have been open. Coming back we passed another heading in their direction, so not sure what is going on. 

On 17/04/2021 at 22:32, KnausCol said:

Just back from the Lake District. Large Keswick C&CC site was full. Great to be back out in the van though and we had exceptional weather - I don't think I've ever experienced 6 consecutive fine weather days in the Lakes before :).

It's getting all of the good weather out of the way now so it's cold & wet when we go up in August!

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

Drove from Lincoln to Llanelli on the glorious 12th for a week, now back. Counted 98 caravans on the way. Busy but all good. One or two vans exceeding 70mph by the way they passed us. Lovely week. Shame work meant we couldn't stay longer.

17 minutes ago, Jezzerb said:

Drove from Lincoln to Llanelli on the glorious 12th for a week, now back. Counted 98 caravans on the way. Busy but all good. One or two vans exceeding 70mph by the way they passed us. Lovely week. Shame work meant we couldn't stay longer.

:D We are in Burry Port! 

Lucky you-isn't it a lovely area- and what a beach. Wish we were still there!  Enjoy it! Can recommend Llynstefan-fish and chips from Flossie's cafe!

Edited by Jezzerb

We’re on our favourite CS just outside Malton and there’s been no more than 2 vans on here all week (including us!) - set in a very tranquil 2 acres - so loads of space. It appears that the fact that the toilet block isn’t open is putting a lot of people off. Didn’t see that many vans on the road, either.

1B1F338E-8A62-430C-AD65-642846D0C545.jpeg

VW Touareg Escape towing a 2018 Knaus Starclass 695

We had a good week at Blaclkmore C&CC site. Great weather. The site was fairly full at the weekend but before that not too bad.

No facilities open but we weren't  bothered.

Van going back to store today, couple of weeks in mid  May next.

Hyundai Santa Fe+Bailey Unicorn Cadiz

Mini Cooper convertible -fun Car!:)

We nearly had the place to ourselves at our site in Northumberland, then the weekenders arrived! We had a lovely time though, weather was fantastic, lots of kids for our daughter to play with. It was good to see so many others getting out in their vans and enjoying themselves again.

13325.jpg

20210417_200629.jpg

Edited by Susan D
On 16/04/2021 at 10:37, Ern said:

the first week of sites out of lock down coincides with the last week of school holiday

Indeed, those 6 nights 12th to April were our only opportunity to get away this spring, Mr. D was back in work on the 19th and our daughter back in school. We had a great time, including a boat trip around the Farne Isles and a chippy lunch on a bench back in Seahorses, all in glorious sunshine. It was a lovely break. :)

Cycling around North West Leicestershire at the weekend and Monday I noticed that most CL's and CS's that I passed were heavily populated and driving to Wrexham and back today I saw quite a few caravans on the roads and again, a high occupancy of any small sites.

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

We arrived on our adult only site near Beverley , Yorkshire, on Sunday. The touring pitches are only about 20% full.  There are a lot touring vans being used on seasonal pitches but very few people in them. Seems very weird when it seemed we were all chomping at the bit to get away.

Bessacarr Cameo 525 towed by SsangYong Rexton 2.2 auto in Brown.