Loads of caravans and motorhomes on the move!

Message added by CT Advertising,

caravan-company-medium.jpg We buy caravans for cash
Looking to sell your second hand caravan? The Caravan Company is always looking to purchase quality second hand caravans. We offer great part exchange packages so that you can trade in your second hand caravans for an updated model selected from our huge range of stock at any one of our branches with no hassle. www.thecaravancompany.com

Today (in connection with my part time employment which resumes today) I travelled the A31 and M27 from Bournemouth to Southampton and back. 

There were a huge number of caravans and motorhomes heading Westwards but I didn’t see a single one heading the other way ;)

I wonder what the M5 Southbound (the route into the Southwest) was/is like?

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chock a block Mr Plodd.

It took one of our teams 1 1/2 hours to travel from Gloucester to Aztec West this morning at 6am.

Drove 20miles northward along the A17 this morning. We counted 70 caravans and motor homes heading for Norfolk. Thank heavens for the discovery...had to use every byeroad, rat run, short cut and farm track I know to get back home past it all. It was still nose to tail in the afternoon. 

I work for the NHS, my office windows look over the A40, here in Wales every 5 minutes there was an average of 3 or more caravans, motorhomes, going both east or west?

Swift Elegance 480, towed by a Mitsubishi L200 Barbarian X series 6.

A1 yesterday on way home we saw loads of motorhomes and a couple of caravans on the move. All heading south. 

Not booked anywhere till early in May. That should give me time to replace the tyres, replace the microwave, replace the front locker gas strut .......................... etc etc

Land Rover - getting restless.

If anyone is going to post on this thread it would be nice if you give the rest of us a clue as to where in the Country you are talking about!

You know where the A whatever-it-is is located, but the rest of us don’t! That’s why I put location details in my opening post :D

We were on a similar route to Mr Plodd.

Left home in Swanage heading for Ringwood.

We noticed a good number of vans travelling South from A35 Bakers Arms roundabout through Wareham and Corfe Castle.

Decided to join the A31 Eastbound at Roundhouse Roundabout, it was then we noticed loads of vans and MH's heading west, the A31 Ferndown by pass westbound was jammed, just like a summer Saturday. with queues through to Canford Bottom, this was at 10.30 this morning

1 hour ago, Mr Plodd said:

If anyone is going to post on this thread it would be nice if you give the rest of us a clue as to where in the Country you are talking about!

You know where the A whatever-it-is is located, but the rest of us don’t! That’s why I put location details in my opening post :D

I naively assumed that people planning a trip would identify the road numbers they planned to travel on.

But for my part, the A17 runs from Newark to Kings Lynn, the northern entry point to Norfolk for many...too many today. 

1 minute ago, ericfield said:

But for my part, the A17 runs from Newark to Kings Lynn, the northern entry point to Norfolk for many...too many today. 

Thanks,  :D  👍

Not just today, yesterday evening there were loads of units heading north on the M1.

Loads

Lunar Solaris 524

Not a single van or motorhome on our roads. Dunfermline.

Ian

2018 Range Rover Sport AB,  2015 Buccaneer Cruiser.

11 minutes ago, IanV8 said:

Ian

Perhaps they are all Doneroamin?

Loads here, cars with lots of bikes on rack, roof boxes, trailers. Cornwall.

I anticipate most major routes into and out of Cornwall/Devon, and to a slightly lesser extent Dorset, are going to be pretty much nose to tail or gridlocked most weekends from now. Oh joy!!   Having said that I am very fortunate to live at the seaside (Weymouth Dorset) and I am able to walk to the seaside in 20 minutes. I am aware that it is very easy to get complacent about such things. I am sure if I lived in a big city, and had been unable to get out of it for 12 months I would be desperate for the chance of a break somewhere nice, so I will try not to get too annoyed with people clogging up the road network as I will be one of them clogging up the roads in Norfolk in June !

4 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

I am very fortunate to live at the seaside (Weymouth Dorset) and I am able to walk to the seaside in 20 minutes. I am aware that it is very easy to get complacent about such things. 

image.png

This is where our MH will remain until things calm down, even though we are just about as far as it is possible to be from the coast in England, and I love the coast but I cannot see us getting salty wet feet any time soon  :(

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.

1 hour ago, IanV8 said:

Ian

I think that'll change rapidly once we're allowed to leave our local authority area in a couple of weeks! 

Jason (Perthshire)

I live and work in Bude in Cornwall.

Emits everywhere !

Sadly, one caravan heading into Devon jack knifed  by Exeter racecourse early on Monday - the very first morning of travel - one of many we get down here every year. I do hope the owners are OK.

Drove past Southport CMC site this morning, plenty of vans on there. I past a couple on the M62 last night on my way home, heading westbound from Warrington, I imagine they were heading either for Southport, or possibly the Wirral Country Park.

We travelled from Shropshire to Blackmore C&CC site yesterday. A few outfits going the other way. M5 from J4 to J7 was fine. We normally go through Worcester but figured it would be busy. 

The site is not full nor is CMC site next door. We couldn't  book a hardstanding as they are booked up later in the week. 

The warden told us there was snow on the site first thing, only on Malvern hilltop by lunchtime. Tiny bit on it today.

No facilities  open but nice and cosy in our van with Alde heater.

Our neighbours have travelled up from Bournemouth,  they have a new awning but no instructions!  Fortunately  it is very similar to ours so we  were able to help them.

We will also be going to Norfolk in June as France is highly unlikely :unsure:

Edited by 664DaveS

Hyundai Santa Fe+Bailey Unicorn Cadiz

Mini Cooper convertible -fun Car!:)

Very few in Scotland, but our sites are still shut. The one I saw yesterday was coming from a direction where a dealer is situated, so could have been in for a service. If newly bought they would be obliged to deliver it at the moment, but that is possible.

Yesterday morning heading east on A51 from Chester we seemed to be the only caravan. Heading the opposite way towards Chester and Wales there were loads. A warning that there are long roadworks on the A51 with temporary lights. The queue was all the way from the Tarvin roundabout to the A55. We'll be finding a different route home....

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

There was lots of caravans & motorhomes on friday and saturday night which i thought to be pretty early to be on the move considering the restrictions were not lifted till monday and it was during the night. This was on the M62 between rochdale & junction 29 for the M1. 

I live in North Devon, 4 minutes from Saunton Sands.

We went away on Monday to Mevagissey in Cornwall.

We didn't count many units on the move - maybe a dozen, tops.

We're off to Lands End on Saturday for a week, then up to Padstow for a week.

Didn't have any problem booking CLs.

We're having a last minute weekend away in the van. Only going about 25 miles to Rutland Water.Just be good to get away and hopefully have some food and drink we've not cooked ourselves, even if it means sitting outside. Can't believe it's been well over 5  months since our last outing in October. Think it was the Halloween weekend because the family in the next van had got a pumpkin.