Looking for help in towing a caravan

Hi I'm finding it hard to find someone to tow my caravan to be sighted for the season i live in Stoke-on-Trent and need my van taking to mid Wales I've tried a company for far too expensive I really need someone who would not charge too much its an 80 mile trip if anyone can offer some advice I'd really appreciate it 😊 

There's already a thread on this subject.

The main issues are insurance/liability, roadworthiness of the caravan - recently serviced etc., paying a private individual and any business use implications for their motor insurance.

Edited by Legal Eagle

Do you mean realistic commercial rates are far to expensive ?  Also as pointed out is your caravan serviced & roadworthy ? Have you checked wheelnuts & tyre pressures  ? Are tyres 5yrs old or less ?  

Anyway. Good luck. You might find a bloke with an old Shogun who will tow it there for beer & diesel money

I rather pay someone honest with insurance than have the van disappear/damaged or worse....

Have a chat with any garages local to your desired caravan site that provide breakdown recovery. They may be able to assist. If they get a recovery to anywhere near you they could take your caravan on the return journey on the back of their recovery truck! They will have to return to their base anyway so might be happy to do a "deal" with you ;)

Worth considering at least.

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

I would show what the caravan is as any volunteers would need this.

On 12/04/2021 at 13:05, Jen210 said:

Hi I'm finding it hard to find someone to tow my caravan to be sighted for the season i live in Stoke-on-Trent and need my van taking to mid Wales I've tried a company for far too expensive I really need someone who would not charge too much its an 80 mile trip if anyone can offer some advice I'd really appreciate it 😊 

it sounds like you are asking for someone, anyone  to tow your van for you,  they may just tow it away, cheap is not always the best.

If you were down my way I would do it for a bottle of Chardonnay per six miles!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

Be interesting to know what price is considered to be far too expensive. I don't know much about it, but would think about 300 pounds would be a reasonable commercial price. As usual, happy to be corrected. 

My pricing for that trip, 80 miles, each way would be £1,25 a mile.

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

£1.25 per mile would only cover the running cost of a tow vehicle. Would you work for free?

Edited by Flying Grandad

7 gallons of diesel plus a good drink maybe £80 is what I would want if I was a pensioner who owned an old Volvo estate or 4x4 with a towbar & caravan owner signed a bit of paper stating towing at own risk. I would also check the wheel nuts & bring a pump for the tyres.  If the op has anybody like that living near them they might persuade them to do it on the cheap otherwise they will have to pay commercial rates to get it towed or maybe uplifted & transported. 

On 12/04/2021 at 13:05, Jen210 said:

Hi Jen210,

If you are still looking for a company to help with towing your caravan please send us an email we will be happy to give you a quote.

thecaravantowingco@gmail.com