Door lock issues

Nz storm

HI team!

I have a Bailey 2019 GT70  I am having had trouble opening the Main door when it is  "unlocked". The Latch is catching on the Striker and I am unable to open.

When I put the key in and use the key to open, the Latch seems to pull back further allowing the door to open freely.

Has anyone had this problem? I cant see what or why this is happening.  Any ideas?

Yes long time issue 🙂

you will find if hot sun on the door side that it’s worse.

get it adjusted at service - they can file down the black plastic latch 👍

I had to file down the end of the black latch on our caravan so the door could be opened. Only takes a few minutes with a file so not worth the bother of taking it to a dealer.

Before doing, check the door at the hinge side is not loose causing the door to be too far across and there is nothing pushing the striker plate out too far.

Edited by Paul1957

Do not file the latch down, once you file it off you are never gonna get that back should your door not close properly in the future. If you have a small spike try to prise out the red & green indicators that are on the inside of the door latch, also try to flick out the crescent shaped bit of plastic that has "hartel" written on it. This will give you access to the 4 screws that hold the lock assembly in place, just loosen the screws slightly & you may be able to move the lock enough to give you the extra bit of clearance between the latch & plate, obviously then tighten the screws. Failing that, there is a screw fixing thru the frame by the striker plate into the side of your van, try tightening that a little, be careful not to "spin" the screw. If that fails, get a wooden block, place it on the striker plate & gently tap it with a hammer. You don't need to gain much, only a couple of mm at the most. Never ever file or cut anything off unless you are 100% sure you know what you are doing & how you are going to get over it if you take off too much.

Just a thought, but don't suppose the black packing pieces that fit in the door frame, that should of been removed at PDI stage have been missed and are still in situ?  Was once a common issue a a couple of year ago.

Dealer told me they just file them gently with a fine file to fine tune it 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

Before doing anything else with the door make sure these have been removed on PDI. https://youtu.be/eZbzwP1uc14

• 1 month later...

I just had same issues with brand new Cartagena ... the whole door mechanism may be loose try pulling the the whole mechanism back into the door . My new Cartagena had this problem. Don’t file anything away it’s something loose