exorbitant site increases

Yes Rallies and special events for me.

As regards CLs the under £10 a night long gone and I think £20 a night will soon be the average if not the lowest.

Regards, David
Ford Kuga ST line 2ltr. Diesel 2017,  Bailey Pursuit 11 400/2 2018, Emove em303 motor mover, Hyundai 1000i Generator.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got to have a lot of sympathy with site owners. Suddenly in High demand they need to recoup their losses and investments and don't begrudge them at all. Supply and demand will see prices go up but they may fall as may van prices as the masses realise they can go abroad, when that happens.

6 minutes ago, Jezzerb said:

Got to have a lot of sympathy with site owners. Suddenly in High demand they need to recoup their losses and investments and don't begrudge them at all. Supply and demand will see prices go up but they may fall as may van prices as the masses realise they can go abroad, when that happens.

I'm not holding my breath.

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

37 minutes ago, Jezzerb said:

Indeed so - well said.

Sam :beardy:   RR Sport HSE Dynamic towing Swift Elegance Grande 845

Sounds like we are paying the sites for the income they didn't receive last year, so effectively we are now paying for the holidays we didn't have either. And I didn't even get the chance to send any postcards.

2019 Sprite Major

Having posted what I will be paying I have no idea what the increase that may be over last year, as we usually go abroad, but aside from one or two quoted examples most prices are decided and published the year before and the ones I have looked at don't show large increases.

Re the VAT my view would be that sites take the usual 20% but pay HMG the reduced rate which would help out a little.

3 hours ago, Allan Guest said:

Re the VAT my view would be that sites take the usual 20% but pay HMG the reduced rate which would help out a little.

The majority of CLs aren't VATable, being below the turnover threshold,  so it won't make any difference.

5 hours ago, David 38 said:

As regards CLs the under £10 a night long gone and I think £20 a night will soon be the average if not the lowest.

To be fair, I've booked a number of CLs for the coming months. The cheapest is £14 pn (in the country) and the dearest £18 pn (near the sea). All are charging the same as last year. It will be commercial sites that are mostly upping the ante, and with the VAT reduction it's taking the Mick.

Edited by MalH

This is possibly making hay while the sun shines. There are a lot of people who will have decided that with new EC rules and the uncertainty regarding if you will get in or have to quarantine coming home that the UK will be for them this year but they will be abroad next. I possibly means the sites can get away with higher charges this year, but next they may struggle if they keep the rates up. 

There do also seem to be a fair number of people who have bookings both for abroad and here to cover themselves, This could mean a lot of late cancelations if Europe is open, so late bookings may be available.

17 hours ago, Allan Guest said:

York, at almost £37.

The Old Gatehouse Caravan Park

Wheldrake Lane
Elvington
North Yorkshire   
YO41 4AZ
Tel: 01904 608225

Price  £20 per night

On the map here

Edited by BOAC
insert url

We have booked a CL for September it is £38/Night. Next years prices are published £40/Night.

This is what you get for your money. Adults only, fully Serviced, Toilet, Shower.

Swift Elegance 480, towed by a Mitsubishi L200 Barbarian X series 6.

11 minutes ago, David P said:

We have booked a CL for September it is £38/Night. Next years prices are published £40/Night.

This is what you get for your money. Adults only, fully Serviced, Toilet, Shower.

Get a commercial adult only site for cheaper price we definitely would not pay that price for a cl but each to their own the mind boggles even cheaper a caravan club site.

Martin

Cheapest cl fully serviced we use is £15 per night been going there for quite a number of years and it's not the price we go for but the owners have become friends like a lot of others we use.

Martin

15 minutes ago, guinness said:

Get a commercial adult only site for cheaper price we definitely would not pay that price for a cl but each to their own the mind boggles even cheaper a caravan club site.

Martin

:Plus1:

35 minutes ago, David P said:

Can you let us know where it is please, so we can avoid it :D

Prices do certainly seem to be up at the "obvious choices": anything in Devon / Cornwall, Club Sites, Big Commercial Sites, anything "glamping" or boutique-y.  That's understandable - there's a lot of demand from the people who are camping for the first or second year and prices will always reflect that.

Assuming we can see the back of Covid, I think prices will fall next year, I just can't see demand being sustained as UK holidays (NOT Staycations!) and camping become less popular.

We mainly stay on CLs or CSs. I have come across some where prices are up above £25 a night for our family of four but I generally just move on and look at the next site. The main impact on us, is that availability is harder to come by, though as we usually go to mainland Europe in August, perhaps it's always like that.

My resistance to high prices is quite well known....if I don't think (whatever it is) is worth it I go elsewhere (blame my age & upbringing),  so the present circumstances are a double wammy.  In general prices in this country are a bit of a rip-off, usually profiting the 'middle-man' & being aimed at what the market will stand rather than what the product 's intrinsic, or perceived, value is. The more gimmicks the higher the price can be, which leaves me totally unimpressed.

As far as site fees are concerned the influx of inexperienced campers (who pay whatever is asked as they don't know any different) pushes prices up as there is too little resistance. I've witnessed this phenomenom at work several times in the last few decades. There are even those who think paying ludicrously high prices is something to brag about... I know quite a few of these sad people as well. But each to his own.

That apart I'm very glad I'm a member of my local (& other) BCC sections of the C & CC club. Paying between £7.50 & £9.50 (+EHU) for rallies, most with facilities (not that I use them anyway). Some of these site fees are quite possibly being subsidised but then that's what the club is for. In this somewhat 'special' year I've already been talked into paying £18 pun, (inc EHU)  next June (choke! clutches for wallet!), for what I'm promised is a 'fabulous ' 5 'van site. It better be, I feel faint just talking about it LOL.

Can't wait for the ***GLORIOUS 12th***tomorrow, the car's packed & I'm ready to go!!!!!!!

Happy camping to you all.

3L auto Nissan Terrano, 2004 & Swift Elegance 530, 2018. As Leonardo da Vinci once said: 'If you find from your own experience that something is a fact & it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority & base your reasoning on your own findings' ie: use your common sense!

I have a fixed budget for holidays and consequently I will have to stay at my chosen site(s) for fewer nights if the price has been increased disproportionately. By doing this the site will get no more money from me than they would have previously for a longer stay, however by me doing this they will have additional dates available to sell to others (increased profit), and I will have a reduced length holiday (less enjoyment per pound spent). With a reduced income in real terms in the last year, that's just the way it will have to be. 

I completely understand the need for sites to recover part of the losses of the last year but I can only spend my money once, so I shall be scouring the various publications for reduced-fee rallies, as until now they always have been better value for money than paying full commercial rates. I guess it will all depend upon which (if any) sites are prepared to offer a discount for multi-van block bookings. 

I am certainly not rushing into getting away immediately but I do hope to be able to later in the year (Covid-19 restrictions permitting) although I fear an infection peak in the autumn caused by a minority not sticking strictly to the social-distance rules.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.

1 minute ago, micktheshed said:

My resistance to high prices is quite well known....if I don't think (whatever it is) is worth it I go elsewhere (blame my age & upbringing),  so the present circumstances are a double wammy.  In general prices in this country are a bit of a rip-off, usually profiting the 'middle-man' & being aimed at what the market will stand rather than what the product 's intrinsic, or perceived, value is. The more gimmicks the higher the price can be, which leaves me totally unimpressed.

As far as site fees are concerned the influx of inexperienced campers (who pay whatever is asked as they don't know any different) pushes prices up as there is too little resistance. I've witnessed this phenomenom at work several times in the last few decades. There are even those who think paying ludicrously high prices is something to brag about... I know quite a few of these sad people as well. But each to his own.

That apart I'm very glad I'm a member of my local (& other) BCC sections of the C & CC club. Paying between £7.50 & £9.50 (+EHU) for rallies, most with facilities (not that I use them anyway). Some of these site fees are quite possibly being subsidised but then that's what the club is for. In this somewhat 'special' year I've already been talked into paying £18 pun, (inc EHU)  next June (choke! clutches for wallet!), for what I'm promised is a 'fabulous ' 5 'van site. It better be, I feel faint just talking about it LOL.

Can't wait for the ***GLORIOUS 12th***tomorrow, the car's packed & I'm ready to go!!!!!!!

Happy camping to you all.

Sounds like me.  As far as I am aware the network of CL and CS sites has been shrinking for years.  Lets hope that the influx of new users will convince some land owners to go that route as a paying proposition. 

As always the driving force is supply and demand.  A large proportion of 5 van sites now boast EHU.  This is something I can well do without so I always ask is the EHU included in the price or can it be cheaper if we do not use it.  Sometimes the site owner is happy to knock of £ 3- £5 per night, but a surprising number say no its in the price.  In which case I use it.

Club rallies are by far and away the cheapest way to go, and with a guaranteed pitch, properly run in my experience. 

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)

1 hour ago, Gordon said:

I am certainly not rushing into getting away immediately but I do hope to be able to later in the year (Covid-19 restrictions permitting) although I fear an infection peak in the autumn caused by a minority not sticking strictly to the social-distance rules.

In my many years of my experience of D.A. camping B.C. (that's Before Covid) it's not campers you have to worry about, they've usually seemed a very sensible lot to me. If it's OK to go fishing & golfing etc. (ie. OUTDOOR PURSUITS) then it's equally OK to sit in the middle of a field admiring the peace & quite & perhaps the view as well. No-one has ever caught Covid from fresh air (which is why 20-30% + of cases result from hospital attendances).

Guess what I avoid the most..... as well as the morons who think it's all a joke.

Staying inside for long periods is in no way  good for your overall heath either.

3L auto Nissan Terrano, 2004 & Swift Elegance 530, 2018. As Leonardo da Vinci once said: 'If you find from your own experience that something is a fact & it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority & base your reasoning on your own findings' ie: use your common sense!

22 hours ago, MalH said:

The majority of CLs aren't VATable, being below the turnover threshold,  so it won't make any difference.

But it would to all the ones that are which is going to be the vast majority of pitch/nights.

22 hours ago, BOAC said:

The Old Gatehouse Caravan Park

Wheldrake Lane
Elvington
North Yorkshire   
YO41 4AZ
Tel: 01904 608225

Price  £20 per night

On the map here

Thanks for that. Had a look but can’t decide if it’s the Elvngton Fisheries location or on the opposite side of the road?

On 11/04/2021 at 17:03, micktheshed said:

it's not campers you have to worry about,

I didn't intend to imply that it was the campers. My concern is that those irresponsible members of society in general may cause a further lockdown, that will obviously then impact upon the responsible folks as well.

Below is a link to the kind of behaviour I was fearing.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.

1 hour ago, Gordon said:

. My concern is that those irresponsible members of society in general may cause a further lockdown, that will obviously then impact upon the responsible folks as well.

Even if needed I do not think there will be a further lockdown.

Regards, David
Ford Kuga ST line 2ltr. Diesel 2017,  Bailey Pursuit 11 400/2 2018, Emove em303 motor mover, Hyundai 1000i Generator.

9 minutes ago, David 38 said:

If it's needed, I hope you're wrong BUT more importantly I hope it will NOT be needed.

On 12/04/2021 at 11:06, David 38 said:

I truly hope that a third lock-down doesn't happen as I doubt the economy can stand another one without even more serious, & long-lived, complications.  Bear in mind that I nearly died from covid 12 1/2 months ago (& have yet to fully recover) so I have no qualms as to it's potency.
My views on extended lock-downs & the hidden negatives (eg. mental health) have not changed from a year ago. Any-one who thinks that 'just having another lock-down' will cure our ills is living in cloud cuckoo land.
Like it or not I think a small number of deaths will prove acceptable (& so does Boris), unfeeling as that seems, (I don't see any panic over road deaths, cancer deaths etc. , we've simply learned to live & accept  them as part of life).  It's really more a case of how much the media hype it up.
The alternative, in the long run, doesn't bear thinking about- self-imposed poverty or worse, which in itself will considerably worsen the 'normal' death rate. Bearing in mind that the 'deaths from covid' actually counts any-one that dies & has, coincidentally or otherwise, had covid in the past 28 days (no matter what they may have actually died from). The actual deaths from covid are nowhere near as high as stated. Quite what purpose this serves (apart from selling news papers) is open to dispute, but it is very miss-leading.

We can only hope for the best.

And just add to Mickie’s comments the annual deaths from flu vary between 7000 in a good year and 20,000 in a bad year. And every year the flu virus mutates so the vaccine is always playing catch up. I am not aware of anyone clamouring for flu based lockdowns.....