exorbitant site increases

I would like to add my pennyworth on the flagrant price escalation that is becoming more frequent lately. There may be some cases where a slight increase has become essential (eg. to cover extra cleaning, rates or electric increase etc.) but I've come across several sites that are just plain trying it on. How about an increase from £24 pun last year to £54 (yes that's fifty four!) & now with no facilities at all? Others I know of are a bit less!

Needless to say I won't be acquiescing to their greed & informed them of such as politely (or not!) as I could manage. As has already been said many times: if you don't like it don't pay it!

There are some sites fairly local to me, that I use, that see the error in flagrant price increases. When I looked surprised at their almost static prices the answer was always along the lines: "why increase prices needlessly when I'd sooner have a full site than  a half empty one?". Long may they exist.

This insatiable thirst for money, above all else, has seemingly become endemic in our society.  Gladly there are some of us left that crave no more than is essential & don't see piling-up money as an end in itself.

3L auto Nissan Terrano, 2004 & Swift Elegance 530, 2018. As Leonardo da Vinci once said: 'If you find from your own experience that something is a fact & it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority & base your reasoning on your own findings' ie: use your common sense!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course, it could just be that they are desperately trying to cover the losses they have made over the last year!

Hope that doesn't mean the price of a pint is going to double.:rolleyes: 

I think any business trying to claw back Covid 19 losses, need to do it gradually in order to avoid driving people away. Having said that, massive increases suggests to me cashing in on this years staycation, where demand could outstrip supply. 

27 minutes ago, Lagerorwine said:

I think any business trying to claw back Covid 19 losses, need to do it gradually in order to avoid driving people away. Having said that, massive increases suggests to me cashing in on this years staycation, where demand could outstrip supply. 

Recovering losses "gradually" will only work if their creditors are willing to wait! And is a gamble on there not being another lockdown before the season ends. 

I am going on an extended trip when I am able, and I have found most sites no more than £20 per night, although one site did quote £30. I just told the owner that it was too much and then politely said ta ta.

Of all the sites I have booked so far, the vast majority have last year's fees.

I like to hope that others follow my example so that site owners 'get the message' that their charges are too high.

29 minutes ago, Lagerorwine said:

Good point. Mind you, if that happened I will start brewing my own. ;)

I would vote with my feet and stay at a different place.

Regards, David
Ford Kuga ST line 2ltr. Diesel 2017,  Bailey Pursuit 11 400/2 2018, Emove em303 motor mover, Hyundai 1000i Generator.

A little no facility site we are going to has upped their price from £16.00 a night to £20.00!
Still going though!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

12 minutes ago, PR1 said:

A little no facility site we are going to has upped their price from £16.00 a night to £20.00!
Still going though!

I was looking at CLs and £20 looks like its the "normal" rate for this year.

Regards, David
Ford Kuga ST line 2ltr. Diesel 2017,  Bailey Pursuit 11 400/2 2018, Emove em303 motor mover, Hyundai 1000i Generator.

2 minutes ago, David 38 said:

I was looking at CLs and £20 looks like its the "normal" rate for this year.

The next two CL’ we are going to are £16.00 and £18.00 per night. 
The £16.00 one has facilities, the £18.00 one has none!

Edited by PR1

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

11 minutes ago, PR1 said:

The next two CL’ we are going to are £16.00 and £18.00 per night. 
The £16.00 one has facilities, the £18.00 one has none!

More often than not, I would think it's the location that boosts the price a little, but it's nice to know not everyone is taking the path to exorbitant prices.

OP, have you complained to the site owners? It is called supply and demand and while i suspect some are taking advantage of the market, operating costs through additional Covid compliance measures and employment costs have risen dramatically in the past year. Minimum wage rises, rents, gas/electricity etc etc. Whinging on here will not change anything. It is very simple to resolve, No one is forced to buy anything from anyone so vote with your wallet. 

We have just booked a 6 site trip in July.
Two are private, four caravan club with club cheapest, but for just one night, at £26 and all others £30+ with dearest, York, at almost £37.

Our last long stay, in Cornwall, was in 2015 and cost £34.50 and that site’s now £47.50 for same dates.

To the OP, did site reply to you giving their reason for such an increase? If they did what did they say?

macafee2

Don’t know why we should be surprised at price rises across the board.
It’s time for suppliers to recoup their losses.

I need some large wooden posts for a garden project.

£20 each last Nov (when I should have bought them) .....now £35.

I suspect we are seeing the new normal.

2 hours ago, Flatcoat888 said:

OP, have you complained to the site owners? It is called supply and demand and while i suspect some are taking advantage of the market, operating costs through additional Covid compliance measures and employment costs have risen dramatically in the past year. Minimum wage rises, rents, gas/electricity etc etc. Whinging on here will not change anything. It is very simple to resolve, No one is forced to buy anything from anyone so vote with your wallet. 

Agree with that apart from the last few words in that I believe we should be helping sites get back on their feet - it's to our advantage long term.  As a group here, I suspect a fair chunk of us are retired and many, like me, have actually seen out outgoings significantly reduced (no fuel costs; no retail therapy trips, good car insurance rebates) whilst income levels have increased.  Site owners have seen the exact opposite and yet most have still been willing not to invoke their right to retain deposits.  Yes we can vote with our feet but will all of them survive?

Sam :beardy:   RR Sport HSE Dynamic towing Swift Elegance Grande 845

Trouble is, once the higher prices stick they won’t be going back down methinks.

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

3 minutes ago, MalH said:

Trouble is, once the higher prices stick they won’t be going back down methinks.

A bad weather summer and next year Spain etc. open then these site owners will get a shock.

Regards, David

29 minutes ago, David 38 said:

A bad weather summer and next year Spain etc. open then these site owners will get a shock.

I do hope so!

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

No one speaks about the monies collected from midweek bookings which must be up due to furloughed families and pensioners who can’t get weekend bookings. Surely these midweek bookings must make a significant difference, especially to sites that used to only be busy at weekends. 

Lunar Zenith Citroen C5 2. 2 HDI Citroen Picasso 1. 6 HDI. , Vauxhall Vectra Design 150 bhp Soon to be, 2014 Sprite Major 4 sr. With ATC.
The Internet has had no effect on my life whatsoever. com

21 minutes ago, wigelywoo said:

No one speaks about the monies collected from midweek bookings which must be up due to furloughed families and pensioners who can’t get weekend bookings. Surely these midweek bookings must make a significant difference, especially to sites that used to only be busy at weekends. 

What mid week bookings - pray tell.

Sam :beardy:   RR Sport HSE Dynamic towing Swift Elegance Grande 845

2 hours ago, SamD said:

Agree with that apart from the last few words in that I believe we should be helping sites get back on their feet - it's to our advantage long term.  As a group here, I suspect a fair chunk of us are retired and many, like me, have actually seen out outgoings significantly reduced (no fuel costs; no retail therapy trips, good car insurance rebates) whilst income levels have increased.  Site owners have seen the exact opposite and yet most have still been willing not to invoke their right to retain deposits.  Yes we can vote with our feet but will all of them survive?

Nothing changed for myself. I am still working, don't retire until 2022, (that's is if I want too). So I have been to work every day, except for holidays and Covid isolation days. I work for the NHS.

So why are site's upping their prices (Greed). I have heard that there is a VAT reduction on certain establishments, if this is the case, why is it not passed on? 

Edited by David P

Swift Elegance 480, towed by a Mitsubishi L200 Barbarian X series 6.

3 hours ago, SamD said:

As a group here, I suspect a fair chunk of us are retired and many, like me, have actually seen out outgoings significantly reduced (no fuel costs; no retail therapy trips, good car insurance rebates) whilst income levels have increased.  

Whilst I have spent a few £100 less on diesel over the year, food prices have gone up, we have not shopped around to get the lowest prices, and our income has gone down due to low interest rates/dividends suspended/share values dropped a lot, things that need replacing have only been postponed until the shops open, I did not bother with a car insurance rebate since it would have been about £6 since the policy is already a low mileage. So overall we are financially worse off due to COVID.

9 hours ago, SamD said:

What mid week bookings - pray tell.

Pre COVID I could always get a booking midweek. Since sites reopened last July I struggled to find even midweek bookings available when sites were open. I expect from next week whilst sites can open, it will be the same. 

Lunar Zenith Citroen C5 2. 2 HDI Citroen Picasso 1. 6 HDI. , Vauxhall Vectra Design 150 bhp Soon to be, 2014 Sprite Major 4 sr. With ATC.
The Internet has had no effect on my life whatsoever. com

I have noticed that over recent years the site prices have been increasing at more than a steady rate. It seems that the CMC are bringing a lot of their sites into the same price bracket . Last year and this year we have and will benefit from the VAT  5% rate with CMC however the rates next year will be back to normal I expect  at 20% then plus any site price increase, it could prove to be quite a shock to the wallet

fwiw ....

Surely limited supply & (they hope) significant huge demand in 2021 but yes irritating.

Time to search out the pop up Holiday sites, Area Rallies & many pleasant and lower cost CL & CS network etc or dig deep & be grateful for getting a pitch ?

M