Options for Double Dinette van

mazdavdk

I am on the search for a new van to replace our Ranger GT60 540. we have out grown the current van as the kids are getting bigger, and having completed the B+E part of my test and upgraded to a discovery sport tow car I am no longer limited by weights. We have singled out the double dinette layout as best for our requirements because it gives us a shower enclosure, a decent single bed for both children in the rear dinette, with the option of a bunk each above if they bring a friend. with the added bonus the rear bed can be made up as a fixed when the kids get that little bit bigger and decide they are no longer coming with us. 

I seem to be drawing a bit of a blank in options for this layout as it must have fallen out of favour. I want to go as modern as possible and it looks like the Swift group are the only manufacturer that kept this layout going? does anyone know any other options - not that the swift is bad its just I want to expand my choices as much as possible to find the best i can for the budget I have. maybe there is a layout I have also overlooked that might also offer the same benefits? 

thanks in advance  

The Sprite Quattro DD is the one that springs to mind - recently discontinued.

https://www.caravanfinder.co.uk/caravan-layouts-6berth-doubledinette-enddinette-01.html

It looks like Bailey did a Pursuit with that layout too though, see here:

https://www.caravanfinder.co.uk/caravan-layouts-5berth-centerkitchen-doubledinette-01.html

I wouldn't rule out Adria fixed bunks or an 8ft layout with bunks as they are a good deal wider, especially if you also have a small dinette that can be made into a second single bed, something like this:

https://www.caravanfinder.co.uk/caravan-layouts-5berth-bunkbed-endwashroom-07.html 

or this:
https://www.caravanfinder.co.uk/touring-caravans-for-sale/search-caravans/adria-altea-avon-new-caravan-2021-wiltshire-tk32134c2

Thanks Scarab really appreciate you taking the time to look and reply

the Quattro DD is on my shortlist along with the earlier challenger 590 SE and Sterling Eccles trekker, which all seem to be in a nut shell the same van, 

Fixed bunks are an option I thought would work for us but the kids hate them. perhaps it is because we went for the triple bunk layout and should look at double bunks, because with the triple bunk layout we have in the bailey has limited head room. I know the bunks are far larger on the 8ft models, but in honesty I am not sure I am comfortable with the size of those vans. I like to go to places like Cornwall and I cant imagine 8ft wide vans are much fun on narrow roads 

its a real shame the double dinette has fallen out of favour 

thanks 

While I can't comment on the layout I can recommend the Quattro range.  We have had a 2018 Quattro EB for the last three years and the build quality has been excellent with a good specification.  The Sprite range used to be the basic/cheap models but the equipment level of late hasn't been far behind the Challengers.

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

57 minutes ago, GaryB1969 said:

While I can't comment on the layout I can recommend the Quattro range.  We have had a 2018 Quattro EB for the last three years and the build quality has been excellent with a good specification.  The Sprite range used to be the basic/cheap models but the equipment level of late hasn't been far behind the Challengers.

A lot of Sprites are the basis of dealer specials, so the possibility of even higher equipment levels and trim. Certainly worth considering. 

Coachman also did this layout can't remember the number but it had sixes in it laser model I think.

We looked at one a couple of years ago, Wife prefers this layout.

Although finding one could take a while.

The bunks on most Adria's are 2"6 wide or wider, UK vans 2"3.

The Discovery sport might not be heavy enough for the Coachman or Adria Sava.

But the swift should be OK.

Good luck with your search and hope you find the right van.

David

The layout as found in the Ranger has now died out. I think the last one was a Quasar in about 2014, although a few were built with a version that was a variation on the side bed layout, where the bed was also convertible to a lounge that may work for you. We did have a Quasar version which worked well for us but the bed needed lots of cushions and was a bit tricky to make up needing a king sized sheet to hold them all in.  It was also made as a Bailey Orion and by Swift as I think a Challenger and by Elddis. Even these will be probably no later than 2015 and may take some finding. 

I cannot think of any continental makes that would suit either, but good luck in your search.

It's always worth using the Caravan Finder site to see what models were available with a particular layout:

https://www.caravanfinder.co.uk/caravan-layouts-5berth-centerkitchen-doubledinette-01.html

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

3 hours ago, mazdavdk said:

I know the bunks are far larger on the 8ft models, but in honesty I am not sure I am comfortable with the size of those vans. I like to go to places like Cornwall and I cant imagine 8ft wide vans are much fun on narrow roads 

I'm with you there - slightly hesitant myself - it's the small market towns and villages with parked cars that I worry about. It's a concern as there's a good chance our next van could be an 8ft - either a continental van or domstic.

Just remember that HGV's have to get virtually everywhere and they are slightly wider still. As long as you appreciate the width and take care there is no reason to be overly concerned.

However if you are inexperienced or a nervous tower anyway then perhaps the extra responsibility of an 8 footer is not for you.

Life is not a rehearsal . . .:)

Porsche Cayenne S Diesel & Knaus StarClass 695. Previously Audi S4 Avant & Elddis Super Sirocco

26 minutes ago, KnausCol said:

Just remember that HGV's have to get virtually everywhere and they are slightly wider still. As long as you appreciate the width and take care there is no reason to be overly concerned.

However if you are inexperienced or a nervous tower anyway then perhaps the extra responsibility of an 8 footer is not for you.

Speaking for myself, it's not so much nerves or experience, it's just the extra effort required. 

4 minutes ago, Scarab said:

Speaking for myself, it's not so much nerves or experience, it's just the extra effort required. 

It does take concentration :)

Porsche Cayenne S Diesel & Knaus StarClass 695. Previously Audi S4 Avant & Elddis Super Sirocco

9 minutes ago, KnausCol said:

Yes, indeed, I always like making my life easier, I must be lazy! That said, if the right layout comes along we may forgo the towing disadvantages.

• 1 month later...

I have a Bailey Pageant Provence 2007, and I am beginning to think about changing it. We love the flexibility of the double dinette layout. We can make up one end as a bed and leave it up, or put it and up and down every day. It seems there are no new caravans that don't have some sort of fixed beds or bunks. Our children wouldn't want to sleep in fairly small bunks. Is anyone aware of any new caravans of this sort of layout? Are caravan manufacturers ever going to make anything similar again?

Closest I can think of is the Sprite Major 6TD, only using one bunk and the converted dinette.

In caravan layouts, what goes around, comes around. We'll be knee deep in them in a year or so.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

There are still some double dinette vans out there but, I believe they are mostly  of the small type, where the second dinette can only be used as a single (or bunks), so not good for two children that don't want bunks

Maybe grab one of the last Sprite Quattro DDs? or a Quasar 525?

On 09/04/2021 at 14:18, KnausCol said:

On 09/04/2021 at 14:29, Scarab said:

Yes, indeed, I always like making my life easier, I must be lazy! That said, if the right layout comes along we may forgo the towing disadvantages.

We take collection of an 8ft twin axle in a couple of weeks. So much for making life easy!

14 minutes ago, Scarab said:

We take collection of an 8ft twin axle in a couple of weeks. So much for making life easy!

I'm sure you'll love it. After a while you'll get used to the extra width and it'll not really seem any more difficult.

• 1 month later...

thanks for all your feedback on this. in the end we went for a new sprite super quattro FB as the double dinette layouts were few an far between and prices used were pushing close to a new van. so we bit the bullet and went 8ft. we take delivery next week so I hope it is OK to tow. 

Been towing 8ft for most of a year.  Never a problem, in fact it's more stable than the old 7'6" model