Portable battery jumper?

JCCD

Anyone use one of these small portable battery jumpers for their car?

Thinking of getting one, they are fairly small and compact and have added bonus of USB sockets for charging phones etc.

Halfords do one, as well as Ring RPPL400, Noco GB40 etc

RPPL400.thumb.jpg.7d3135dd5f42f7624d7f455af9c54f6e.jpg

2019 Sprite Major

I was out last week in a group of 6!

On bikes - not the pedal kind...

One of the guys was having trouble with starting his Yamaha.

Out came one of these, supposedly £80 worth. The owner said it was only part charged, having been used recently. It spun the Yam over well, for quite a while, before it fired up.

Don't know if I'd like to use it on a 3 litre diesel from winter cold, but it seemed to put out power very disproportionate from its size.

There are lots of them about, with many different power outputs and some come with extras such as lamps and inverters. The cheaper ones would probably fail with a 3 litre diesel from fully cold, but then so would the lead/acid equivalents.

They are certainly smaller, lighter and more expensive than the lead/acid equivalents. 

To an extent you can't expect better than you pay for!

I still prefer the bulkier units, have served me well for over 10 years....much easier to use than asking for a jump start...but also have a Snooper power pack

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-Tools-RS1-RoadStart-Jump-Start-Starter-Booster-Emergency-Power-Pack-12V/223233300582?epid=17034148180&hash=item33f9bdd866:g:NakAAOSwYj9b9AnB

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264241351037?boolp=5&ul_noapp=true

image.png.3d47464cba6b06581b637dee4efada71.png

image.thumb.png.934984191a85e36a7e8811d99c157df5.png

2 hours ago, gtepete said:

I still prefer the bulkier units, have served me well for over 10 years....much easier to use than asking for a jump start...but also have a Snooper power pack

image.thumb.png.934984191a85e36a7e8811d99c157df5.png

I actually have that Sealey power pack and it works well, but Im wanting a more portable sized jump starter to carry in my motorbike top box etc.

2019 Sprite Major

My Sorento Mk1 has a 14 year old battery that I should change, but, over the winter it has started with the help of a small jumper box. It has started when the temperature is well below freezing as I needed the 4x4 to get through the snow. It amazes me how good it is. There doesn't seem to be a brand name on it. It also started the atv when the battery was totally flat. In my case it was well worth the money.

With the smaller packs, can anyone explain why they operate under 12volts fully charged. I would expect 12/13 volts? whats the science here?

There is a resent test of them in Auto Express.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/product-group-tests/92728/best-mini-jump-starter-packs-2020

And also in the current Car Mechanics magazine.

When you look up the devices on Amazon you do get mixed reviews.  I am still debating on buying one,

Chris in Warwickshire, Elddis Odyssey 482 (2008), Mitsubishi Outlander diesel, 2017

How often do these smaller units need to be recharged?

I use  DB Power 600A 18000ma capacity unit. It's small and starts a big SUV with ease.

I also use it to power a compressor to pump up tyres etc.

Mines a 2018 version and I've charged it just a couple of times. Being Lithium it keeps it's charge well.

It's similar to a newer version such as this one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284045618106

Edited by P101

2 hours ago, gtepete said:

With the smaller packs, can anyone explain why they operate under 12volts fully charged. I would expect 12/13 volts? whats the science here?

Personally I don't know exactly what voltage they operate at but it will be related to the chemistry of the Lithium batteries in the unit. I don't think Lithium operates quite the same parameters as traditional batteries which tend to produce 12v natively.

A quick search suggests Li cells operate at 3.6v so any pack is likely to be multiples of this without lots of voltage regulation.

Which booster you buy should be determined by the expectation of the work you expect it to perform. Make sure it has enough ‘grunt’.  For example, if you’re thinking of a Noco I’d strongly recommend at least the GB70. Some review research will concur with this.

Coachman 460/2 2016 towed by Land Rover Discovery Sport. Proved to be an excellent outfit.

On 08/04/2021 at 19:54, Unclemort54 said:

Which booster you buy should be determined by the expectation of the work you expect it to perform. Make sure it has enough ‘grunt’.  For example, if you’re thinking of a Noco I’d strongly recommend at least the GB70. Some review research will concur with this.

It is also the one I would go for looking at the reviews, but the price is meaty at £95 (Amazon)

Chris in Warwickshire, Elddis Odyssey 482 (2008), Mitsubishi Outlander diesel, 2017

4 hours ago, ChrisUK said:

It is also the one I would go for looking at the reviews, but the price is meaty at £95 (Amazon)

The GB70 is more like £200

2019 Sprite Major

11 hours ago, JCCD said:

The GB70 is more like £200

Sorry, it was the 500amp one I spotted.

The GB70 is 2000 amp and out of stock at amazon

Edited by ChrisUK

I want one NOW!

Loaded the car up with cleaning thing this morning to take to the van in storage, tried to start the car - lots of clicks and flashing exterior lights, but no start.  Battery was a 11.3V

I avoid short journeys but not impossible totally so it looks like the lock down has kill the battery.  It is recovering with my CTEK but a new one will be required.

My neighbor tried to start his car with one of my those tiny gadgets but it failed to start.

My cheap Aldi power pack started it straight away.

One thing to remember with any type of booster / battery pack .................. they are only any good when you need them................. if they are kept charged. ??

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

I used to have a Machine Mart 900 amp starter pack. It was useless when needed and never managed to start a car. It would take forever to charge up, had to be frequently charged so always available and the lead acid battery inside was tiny. It would have been better to just have a spare car battery.

I think the bigger lead acid booster are unlikely to be good long term whereas the lithium packs (and the later capacitor based packs)  will be more reliable.  The problem is when you look into them for the same device you can see both rave reviews and rubbish reviews. 

hi done a fair bit of research on these and i went for this one and it seems to be good for the price and had lots of reviews on you tube etc

2500A Car Jump Starter Battery Heavy Duty Booster Power Pack TrekPow 12V IP68 UK

27 minutes ago, ChrisUK said:

I think the bigger lead acid booster are unlikely to be good long term whereas the lithium packs (and the later capacitor based packs)  will be more reliable.  The problem is when you look into them for the same device you can see both rave reviews and rubbish reviews. 

Had my Sealey Roadstart for over 10 years, had one battery replacement. Got the idea from the AA who were using them to start up vehicles with flat batteries. A lot easier than using jumper cables...plus with the 12v socket can be used to power air compressors,  lights, beach toys  etc directly off the power pack......still recommend them... always in my car...

Edited by gtepete

Project farm on youtube has tested these, some of the ones tested are available in the uk.

There must be a run on these things, two that have been mentioned are out of stock.